Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gas consumption on the 320 Hp motor?

BuggsIsland06vride

Have an 06' v-ride and it just seems like my boat is just eating up gas and I really haven't even started boarding or surfing yet. I only have 12 hours and the dealer has already done the first service on the engine. The boat runs great and motor does also, but for having a 35 gallon tank it just seems like I could go further on a tank of gas. I have gone through 2 and a quarter tanks of gas in the 12 hours that I have on it. My old boat had a 315 HP Mercury and I felt like it was great on gas mileage. What kind of gas consumtion does every body else get with those that have the 320 horse motor. Thanks for your help

That is about right. Especially if you are using the wedge and ballast.

I mostly have no ballast and no wedge lately except for a few times just testing them all out. I guess it's just me being used to my old boat and motor. My old boat had a 49 gallon tank and I guess having that much more gas makes the first half of the tank go by slower. Thanks for the info and wondered how many hours you have on your boat?

That is about right. I get around 5-5.5 on my SLXi and 325 monsoon. On a side note, my silverado got sub par mileage untill around 3,000 miles. After that I picked up a couple of miles per gallon. Go figure,

We have 10 hrs on our boat and have gone through more than a tank. (About)

I guess tha what I am getting is par for the course. I have heard that you might get a little better when you get about 25 hours on it so we will see! GoldschlagerVT, does that stand for the Hokies. My family is big Hokies fans. Plenty of the family members have gone there and we go dressed in the colors no matter where we go, especially the games. I think you bought your boat from Cutting Edge also if I'm not mistaken. How do you like yours?

I guess tha what I am getting is par for the course. I have heard that you might get a little better when you get about 25 hours on it so we will see! GoldschlagerVT, does that stand for the Hokies. My family is big Hokies fans. Plenty of the family members have gone there and we go dressed in the colors no matter where we go, especially the games. I think you bought your boat from Cutting Edge also if I'm not mistaken. How do you like yours?

Yup, Graduated last May. (The boat is my parent's boat, but I do all the work on it, maintain it, get to use it whenever I want.) We love the boat. We have a house on Lake Anna, and have a 95 Bayliner that we are trying to sell right now. Going from that to the Malibu... Wow. We love it. Got the Monsoon engine, plenty of power. We ski and wakeboard a lot, and just like the layout of the DD better than the Vdrive, so we got the sunsetter. We got the boat down at Cutting Edge, Trey was our salesman. He was VERY helpful. Answered all of our questions, and anything he didn't know, he'd do some research for. We're kind of lucky service wise. We had a dealer up here (5 min from our house) that was just certified to work on Malibu's. Cutting Edge has a few of their boats up here too for sale. Overall we love the boat. Only one tiny problem that we need looked at on the stereo. I just wish we had found this site earlier. We got the factory sony stereo with kicker speakers, and I wish we had read about buying the Polk's and sending them to the factory. that is really my only complaint, and that's my fault.

Yup, Graduated last May. (The boat is my parent's boat, but I do all the work on it, maintain it, get to use it whenever I want.) We love the boat. We have a house on Lake Anna, and have a 95 Bayliner that we are trying to sell right now. Going from that to the Malibu... Wow. We love it. Got the Monsoon engine, plenty of power. We ski and wakeboard a lot, and just like the layout of the DD better than the Vdrive, so we got the sunsetter. We got the boat down at Cutting Edge, Trey was our salesman. He was VERY helpful. Answered all of our questions, and anything he didn't know, he'd do some research for. We're kind of lucky service wise. We had a dealer up here (5 min from our house) that was just certified to work on Malibu's. Cutting Edge has a few of their boats up here too for sale. Overall we love the boat. Only one tiny problem that we need looked at on the stereo. I just wish we had found this site earlier. We got the factory sony stereo with kicker speakers, and I wish we had read about buying the Polk's and sending them to the factory. that is really my only complaint, and that's my fault.

Yes this site is very nice to have around. I have never been to lake Anna but have heard it is nice. Trey is very nice, and I worked with Doug up at the Cutting edge. I think that all stock stereo stuff like that especially sony has problems. I only ordered the single sony CD and 4 speekers to get the boat with some tunes for the summer and I am having a friend that ownes a stereo shop in Danville, VA totally do my boat to the hilt this winter. I had a very nice system in my old boat and I plan to do even more on this one this winter. I think the stereo stuff from the factory is very overpriced and you can get so much more, and alot better quality from having it done yourself!! Good luck selling the bayliner and if you are in the area of Kerr lake give me a call!!

GO HOKIES !!!!!!!

agreed...6.5gph isn't too out of line.

I track my useage, last year the RLXi averaged 5.5gph.

Edwin- That is exactly what I got from my Response.

agreed...6.5gph isn't too out of line.

I track my useage, last year the RLXi averaged 5.5gph.

Ah, I remember the good ole days!

The following chart outlines the fuel consumption on Malibu Dreamin... needless to say I do a lot of 8mph crusising! :lol:

RPM MPH MPG RANGE GPH

1000 5.6 1.39 357 4

1500 8.4 1.27 328 6.6

2000 9.9 0.84 216 11.8

2500 11.6 0.62 159 18.8

3000 15.5 0.64 165 24.2

3500 21.9 0.68 176 32

4000 27.7 0.61 156 45.6

4500 30.7 0.53 136 58.2

Forgot to mention Malibu Dreamin has 320HP motors (but they are 1997 fuel injected 454's) just fyi.

Edited by aneal000
Have an 06' v-ride and it just seems like my boat is just eating up gas and I really haven't even started boarding or surfing yet. I only have 12 hours and the dealer has already done the first service on the engine. The boat runs great and motor does also, but for having a 35 gallon tank it just seems like I could go further on a tank of gas. I have gone through 2 and a quarter tanks of gas in the 12 hours that I have on it. My old boat had a 315 HP Mercury and I felt like it was great on gas mileage. What kind of gas consumtion does every body else get with those that have the 320 horse motor. Thanks for your help

Next time try disconnecting the trailer from the boat befrore you leave the ramp. Should help imnprove gas milage.

5-6 gallons per hour would be a blessing.....I have just around 9.5 hours on my new 247 and have almost run the first tank dry.....ok it is a 87 gallon tank....so I am figureing between 8-9 gallons per hour....oh well what is $30 per hour to have some fun on the water!

>5gph is quite a bit unless you're just doing a bunch of high speed running

I get closer to 4gph if we are just drivin around the lake. Of course, if we really have to get somewhere - (close to WOT) the burn rate goes up a lot! Figure you aren't driving like that though with your 12hr boat

not many of you guys have the 310 carby but here in aus very few people upgraded to the monsoon for 4k. (that gives a lot of options over here). but now the 320 is the standard motor as it only swapped over in 05 not 04 like in USA, mostly due to the cali state emission controls we didnt have to conform like you guys did.

how did the 310 compare? i heard it was worse than the monsoon. would you say about 6gph?

>5gph is quite a bit unless you're just doing a bunch of high speed running

I get closer to 4gph if we are just drivin around the lake. Of course, if we really have to get somewhere - (close to WOT) the burn rate goes up a lot! Figure you aren't driving like that though with your 12hr boat

I normally now since the break in period is over will run around at 30 MPH. I have old muscle cars and sometimes I just want to run fast. I have a buddy with a wakesetter and he rides 24 MPH every where he goes and it just burns me up but then again he has better gas consumption too!! We do alot of wakesurfing and some wakeboarding. The kids ride around in the tube quite often also. What speed do you guys travel from point to point when not in a hurry or pulling somebody?