Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Found this in my boat :/

TexasTexas95

So I was detailing my boat this week and came across some interesting items. The boat performs perfectly as it stands but this concerns me because while cleaning around the motor (I like to detail it all) I found this stuff. Problem is that I have no idea where it goes. I looked and at a glance I can't see anything missing. It's just random nuts and washers. Some appear to have been down there for years. Waterski America has serviced the boat for years and now I'm the second owner and I want to make sure the boat is perfect for another 10 years. Should I be concerned or am I being over sensitive since this is my first boat.

4E20771E-77DE-477A-A78D-756EDCCD9511_zps

I would say the rusted ones have been lying around for some time so toss them. If you can't see where the other ones go and the boat runs great then toss them as well. Problem solved. Glad I could help. :-)

Hey, I'd wonder too. You could always contact service department to get a history. Probably some work done in the past, and the tech was in a nit of a hurry to clean up! A phone call might get you a little peace of mind!

One time that happened to us on a Moomba and we ignored it. We finally felt heavy vibration in the steering wheel weeks later and paddled to the lift. It turns out that the entire prop shaft holder (don't know the technical name) was only held on by 2 bolts at that point and could move 1/2" either direction. Almost totalled the boat!.. so maybe check fins / rudder / shaft

They could be there from when the boat was new. I was looking in my bilge a month ago and found a bunch of the same. My boat is new. I even had a thick heavy washer fall on my foot from under the dash...

This kind of thing is always distressing, but bilge trash is common, and is likely there from the factory.

Having said that, be sure to check the drive shaft. A friend of mine's just fell off after all 4 bolts came loose, of course he discovered it when he went into reversse and the prop shaft and prop thrusted itself backwards without the boat. The prop damaged the rudder as well and some fiberglass.

I bet they have been in there from the factory. If they drop a but or washer they will just grab another one from the bin. No point in wasting time trying to retrieve those.

They could be there from when the boat was new. I was looking in my bilge a month ago and found a bunch of the same. My boat is new. I even had a thick heavy washer fall on my foot from under the dash...

Haha love it - the boat costs over 3 times what my new car costs but they seem to be fine with loose washers and bolts from the factory. What a joke.

Haha love it - the boat costs over 3 times what my new car costs but they seem to be fine with loose washers and bolts from the factory. What a joke.

Your new car is built completely different. Most everything is automated with integrated bolts and or fasteners. When those are still used... Even the hand driven bolts/fasteners are pre fabricated to not used typical nuts and washers. Totally different than how a boat is assembled.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Can't tell you how many trucks we've had with misc. hardware lying in the cross members. ZR2 S10 pickups in particular back in the day would almost always have a motor mount bolt behind the kevlar skid plate when you removed it to install accessories. Things have changed some with more automation like hop mentioned, but don't kid yourself--when they were hand assembled the same thing was happening.

One time that happened to us on a Moomba and we ignored it. We finally felt heavy vibration in the steering wheel weeks later and paddled to the lift. It turns out that the entire prop shaft holder (don't know the technical name) was only held on by 2 bolts at that point and could move 1/2" either direction. Almost totalled the boat!.. so maybe check fins / rudder / shaft

Think you are referring to the "strut."

I'm going along with the statement that they were dropped during construction and/or by the previous owner/dealer during service. While I think you're fine I always check the bilge and all cables, connectors for missing/loose hardware during winterization and when I get the boat ready for the season in the spring. If you look hard enough you will typically find some mystery hardware on any boat.

From the picture it looks like you have a real mixed bag of hardware. The brass nylock stuff looks like what you would find on a shift link or possibly the steering cable clamp in the bilge. The stainless stuff looks like it might be used to hold a trim panel or a through bolted bracket. The rusted steel stuff looks to me like hardware that didn't come with the boat that someone possibly working on it used in place of stainless. It all looks like pretty small stuff to me. It's not like any of it was holding any major structural components.

I agree with tvano, check the 4 prop shaft coupler bolts. Mine were loose on a new LSV from the dealership. On mine Malibu used SS bolts with brass nuts and low grade steel lock washers. I replaced the brass nuts with SS Nyloc nuts and the lock washers with SS flat washers to remove the weak links. Its been working like a champ for 3 years now.

I have had several new Malibu boats and we always find random nuts, and washers laying around the bilge and the under the drivers helm. Even the pieces of fiberglass that they hole saw out and just leave lying there in places that are not visible.. Disappointing really. On my 05 the places where the nuts fell off were the Thru Hull valve handles... Each thru hull has a ball valve and the nuts holding on the handles would fall off and then the handles themselves.

• Like 1