Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eliminate Head Unit - Naked Stereo

Slalomskier

I could not easily find this topic, so I will just post how I have eliminated head units, interfaces and cut right to the music. I have used this with 4 speaker systems.

Non-factory Speakers:

If you want fairly loud, clean sound:

Purchase the following: Wetsounds WW-BT-VC, JL Audio 400/4, JL Audio Remote gain(~$35), Wetsounds 650's, tinned copper marine wire, Proven Performance 12 conductor connector to connect to Malibu "Amp" connector (this will depend upon year of boat).

Mount the Wetsounds WW-BT-VC somewhere convenient (like the lower left dash flange), run the WW-BT-VC output to two RCA connectors to feed your amp input (I used a JL400/4 but a Wetsounds amp would also be great). Set amp to two channel input. Connect speaker wires from amp to to Wetsounds 650's (4 speakers); use the Proven Performance connector for clean install. When connecting power to WW-BT-VC, connect to an ignition source. Connect Amp remote turn on with ignition source (or put in a remote switch). Adjust amp per manual. If you experience hiss when bluetooth is not playing/linked due to grounding issues, check your ground and make sure you connected remote amp turn-on to ignition sourcce....or put in a remote gain to turn down amp when not in use. Throw head unit in garbage. I used a JL400/4 with 4 wetsounds 650 speakers, no head unit. I dislike head units and all the extra interface....obsolete and non-value added for my use. When connecting power to WW-BT-VC, connect to an ignition source or remote (same as amp).

Lower Cost System With Good Sound:

Use factory speakers, a Clarion XC1410 amp, a 3.5mm input panel mount with 2 RCA outputs, and a JL Audio CL-RLC. Run your RCA cables from the panel mount 3.5mm input into the JL Audio CL-RLC input (this boosts mp3/ipod voltage output to amp), run the output from the CL-RLC to the amplifier input. Connect amp to speakers.....DONE! No head unit. Plug your Ipod/phone/MP3 into the 3.5mm input and you have a naked stereo. CL-RLC can be used to control volume. No head unit, clean installation, one little knob to control volume and a 3.5mm to connect from your "source" (mp3, iPod, phone etc) to the panel input. Use tinned marine wire and appropriate fuses.

I have used both methods in my own boats and will be installing the Clarion "Lower Cost" system into a friends boat this fall. No MUX, no head unit, no interfaces, great sound, more reliable.