Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing Ballast setup

lcarlson25

Hey guys,

We have a 06 VLX and we have never been able to get the surf wake good.

So we have a bow ballast, mid, 2 rear and 2 external fat sacs in the rear lockers and a manual wedge. If we are to surf on the left side of the boat (looking at the boat) we fill the bow, mid, left, and left fat sac and the wake is not that tall at all. I was talking to a mate about it and he said dump the bow tank and possibly put the wedge down?

What do you guys all think? Also, what speed do you ride at wake surfing?

Cheers fellas :)

When its just my wife and i in the boat we run no bow weight. If we have anything in the bow bag we cant surf without the rope. I have a different boat and a ghetto gate but i would start with most weight in the back surf side and slowley add weight to the front and stop when you feel it start to lose its push.

You need the bow weight. We fill all hard tanks, have 750 in rear locker on surf side, fill a bow sack about 1/3 full, if there is not a lot of human ballast on the boat we fill up the other 750 1/2 way and put on surf side mid ship, manual wedge down. We surf around 10.6 -11mph. Wave is high with good push, but wish it was further back. Remember fuel in tank helps create ballast.

I have an 06 VLX. We fill the bow and put an extra 400lb bag up front. Surf side rear tank full with a 750 on top. Wedge 2-3 clicks up from fully deployed. Speed anywhere from 9.8 to 11 mph depending on crew.

I have found that it surfs better with the middle tank empty.