Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gelcoat dimpled

sgtsandbagger

My new solid dark blue XTi has large dimples above the rub rail on the port side. Mad.gif

It looks like a big blue golf ball. My dealer says they're talking with Malibu on how to fix it, but they're also telling me that solid dark colors just turn out that way sometimes!?!?

They have mentioned color sanding it down but who nows how that would turn out. I'm not even positive if it's under warranty.

Anybody got some good ideas or maybe some contacts at Malibu that would know what to do?

Otherwise the boat is awesome Biggrin.gif except for the motor or transmission is a little noisy (tapping) at slow speeds in the forward gear. The noise seems to be getting better/quieter with more hours or maybe I'm getting used to it.

I'm not sure if I can get used to the big blue golf ball. Maybe I shouldn't have named it "Blu Balls"?

I've had dark blue before with no issues. They were flat and shiny. Malibu will take care of it don't worry. It never should of got out of the factory that way but that's another issue.

Since my boat is solid dark blue above the rubrail (there is no other color on the boat) the dealer is saying it's just easier to see the dimpling. It's only the port side, above the rubrail, about 6" X 10'. The gelcoat is almost perfect everywhere else. The fiberglass shop the dealer uses has quoted over $2K to try and fix it but they haven't seen the boat in person yet. They won't guarantee results and believe the color will be a little off when they're done. Apparently this is why Malibu didn' used to warranty the hull on dark colors above the rail.

I've tried to take pictures but it doesn't show up even in macro.

The dealer said they took pictures after running the side of a grease pencil over it and sent them to Malibu. I haven't seen those pics.

Malibu will pay for the gamble of repairing it or maybe just give me the cash if I waive any future claims to this specific problem. :unsure: The rest of the hull warranty would still be in effect.

Most people wouldn't notice the problem until it's pointed out. I've noticed it on about 15% of the Malibu boats that I've looked at so far but they've only been light colors. (I can't find to many solids) I haven't found the problem with the CC or MC boats so far. I haven't looked at any of the Skier's Choice offerings up close yet either.

Any more suggestions on which way to go? Dontknow.gif

I'll try to catch the light just right so the pictures don't just look like a mirror. If we do a Malibu again it'll be solid white or moonbeam. The striped color patterns date boats too much for me.

Thanks, kk...

I have solid black on my deck above the rubrail, so it's not because you have a dark color. I don't have any blems like that and my bigger issue is keeping water spots and scratches from showing up on the dark color. If you can feel the imperfections with your hand, then I'd say that's a real problem.

Yes, now I see your problem. They added a mural of a garbage can and side of a house. That is totally unacceptable. I have never seen that before. Tease2.gif

You can't feel anything with your hand but you can see it in the right light. The color doesn't show water spots and scratches like the midnight blue and black boats that I've owned in the past.

Sooner Fiberglass in OKC has been here for over 30 years. They used to build custom jet boat hulls for us in the 70s. They do the best fiberglass work I've seen. Like I said, they haven't seen the boat yet but they've said a repaired or sanded hull is never as good as when it comes out of the mold. I've got a boat out at the lake now that has the old bass boat glitter metallic in it that they rebuilt after it was hit by a large Baja boat. You can only spot where they cut the boat in half if someone points it out to you.

I'll take the boat down to the fiberglass shop this week and see what they think in person.

Thanks for the advice. kk...

Edited by sgtsandbagger
Yes, now I see your problem. They added a mural of a garbage can and side of a house. That is totally unacceptable. I have never seen that before. Tease2.gif

That was a special order item. It cost me an extra $200K. Crazy.gif

Thanks for the comic relief! :lol:

If the problem is not very noticable, I would be tempted to take the $$$. But in reality, since this renders your boat useless, I would be glad to take it off of your hands for a couple of K. Crazy.gif

Seriously, the Wilsons will bend over backwards to solve the problem.

Edited by Lakenut

I had a similar issue on the 2005 vlx last year on the midnight blue below the rubrail. Certainly any imperfections stand out a lot more on dark colors. I was fortunate that the imperfections for the most part could be sanded and polished out.

I had a similar issue on the 2005 vlx last year on the midnight blue below the rubrail. Certainly any imperfections stand out a lot more on dark colors. I was fortunate that the imperfections for the most part could be sanded and polished out.

Did it look as good as the rest of the boat after sanding and polishing? Also/ how big was the area and how much did it cost? kk...

I have a 2006 ws LSV and my boat too has this problem so you are not alone. Along the starboard side of the boat, in the black gelcoat just above the rubrail, there are several shallow dimples that run the length of the boat. It never really bother me because i just thought it was a normal thing but now you guys have me thinking that it isnt a normal thing and maybe i should try and have something done about it. I wonder if it had something to do with the time of year or the batch of resin they had at the time. When was the spray date for your boat sgtsandbagger? Mine was about mid-July of 2005.

I have a 2006 ws LSV and my boat too has this problem so you are not alone. Along the starboard side of the boat, in the black gelcoat just above the rubrail, there are several shallow dimples that run the length of the boat. It never really bother me because i just thought it was a normal thing but now you guys have me thinking that it isnt a normal thing and maybe i should try and have something done about it. I wonder if it had something to do with the time of year or the batch of resin they had at the time. When was the spray date for your boat sgtsandbagger? Mine was about mid-July of 2005.

My spray date was 21 Mar 06. The more I look at the other Malibus at the lake the more I see dimpled gelcoat. I've seen it twice on white boats in the last 2 weeks.

Malibu says they'll make it right and they stand behind their boats as well as anyone else. I'll let you know how it turns out. kk...

Did it look as good as the rest of the boat after sanding and polishing? Also/ how big was the area and how much did it cost? kk...

Cost nothing to me, I'm not aware if it was paid as warranty but I presume so. The area was probably at least 1'x2' IIRC and looked pretty good when completed. Not entirely sure if it was a flaw from the factory or caused in transit by a shipping cover. You had to look pretty close to see that any work was done in the area.