Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

anyone do a 90s vlx hull mod

williemon

Something that could in effect be adjustable or removeable that could shape the wake for a better slalom experience? From what I read, the sv23 non diamond hull is a tad harsher for slalom than the diamond, but better for wakeboarding. Is there a way to add something to the hull that would create a better slalom wake from these older V drives? Tabs or smart tabs maybe?

I would bet a couple tabs could be used to lift the rear of the hull a bit a slalom speeds similar to a "power" version of the Scarpa plate that was used for tuning the barefoot wakes. Heck....my controller is configurable on when it deploys actuators.....next I need to add "slalom tabs" to kick down at 28mph on the Sunsetter. :lol:

• Like 2

I would bet a couple tabs could be used to lift the rear of the hull a bit a slalom speeds similar to a "power" version of the Scarpa plate that was used for tuning the barefoot wakes. Heck....my controller is configurable on when it deploys actuators.....next I need to add "slalom tabs" to kick down at 28mph on the Sunsetter. :lol:

I've been thinking about you're controller for exactly something like this (skiing & barefooting). Do you think it would actually make the wake much better. Some tell me that the Tige hull is completely different to the malibu hull & we wouldn't see much of an improvement on our bu's. Would love to hear from someone who has done this to get their perspective. FastFreddy has a mod like this as pictured in your teakgate thread, I tried to get his opinion for this purpose, but he uses it to list his boat.

Agreed. It certainly makes sense if you lift the rear of the boat you would make the wake smaller. I know bow wake certainly helps on most Bu's for slalom for the same reason. I don't remember seeing anyone actually try it but it would be awesome to see someone do it.

Having had an I/O for the past 15 years Id like a smaller wake and bigger boat. Id really like a v drive for the space and family lifestyle. Id go DD if it were just the wife and I but our way of boating I see really favors a V drive. Unless I can find a killer deal on a fixer up 01 vlx or lsv in years later, I will be limited to the mid to late 90s vlx. I figured I did not want to discount those just because they dont have the diamond hull, plus they are well thought of by the wake crowd and im not sure about the surf crowd (I want to surf and barefoot). So if I fould a good price on one with the sv23 non diamond, i might get that and try to make an adjustable mod to try and tame the wake for slalom.

To do so, if I had a tab, should I try one in the middle of the stern (like some older tige uses) or one on each side much like the smart tabs on I/O?

what are you looking to spend williemon? I got my 01 SS VLX on the diamond hull for a good deal and it seems that more are popping up as the season is ending. If you let us know guys can help on the forum locate some for ya.

Heres the link to FastFreddy post as mentioned above. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40613-teakgate/?p=648218

Appears to be fitted to a 1999 VLX according to his profile. This is exactly the type of mod I was thinking of, as the 2 outside mounted tabs would still allow for a wedge, whereas one in the middle like a Tige wouldn't allow a wedge to function. Would be great if FastFreddy could give us the lowdown on the effect these tabs have on the wake at 36-40mph, as he's the only one that I've ever seem with a setup like this on a bu. Hopefully he'll chime in on this thread to feed us the results.

Some feedback on the tabs. I was doing about 39mph the other day and there was an obvious rooster tail. I think it is more from the FAE exhaust than the trim tabs so it is very hard to tell what the wake looks like. I'll try to get some pictures and post them shortly.

• Like 1

I've even thought about a powered version of the scarpa plate concept. That way you can just attach a plate to the wedge bracket (no additional holes in the boat). (although I currently don't even have one of those yet. But have been talking to Brad72 about his drawings/plans to manufacture one) here's the link to his thread. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51577-diy-floating-wedge/?p=750761

The benefit I can see with something like this is you don't have a wedge fighting against the tabs & vice versa (you only have one or the other fitted at any one time. Obviously, the downside would be changing from one to the other. Also not sure if the powered actuator could be setup so that it doesn't foul the wedge. Maybe it could even have a dual purpose to make the floating wedge a power wedge, as well as being used for the trim tab.

All the above are just ideas/dreams at the moment. But will be great to get FastFreddys feedback on his tabs to determine if its worth looking into. I hate the thought of drilling holes in my boat, hence i like the idea of utilising the wedge bracket.

price max is 15000. That cap wont change since I have a house to pay for and kids to send to college one day. And then at that price, it has to be in fairly decient shape. Not perfect by any means, but not "requireing" vinyl replacement just to use it, if you get the drift. Thats why im really looking into the mid to late 90s models. I can build seatsif needed and do the 3 piece deck lid mod as well so not worried about that. Due to my desire to slalom better (just free ski on longline or maybe 15 off for fun) I was focusing on the diamond hull, but I may like the non diamond just as well since Id like to learn barefoot and surfing as well.

15k for a V-drive...at that price beggers can't be choosers. You aren't going to find a SV23 Diamond V-drive worth buying @ that price; only the '01 Sunsetter VLX and '02-'04 Sunscape 21 LSV have that hull (in a V-drive). Any other V-drive boat claiming that hull is simply incorrect. You may find one for that price but will need significant money into it = not really a 15k boat. Simply put, take the diamond hull off your list.

You will be hard pressed to find a Wakesetter at that price ('99 is the first year, though it's just an option package on a Sunsetter). If you want an SV23 wake hull V-drive Malibu, I'd suggest looking at a '96-98 Sunsetter VLX. '96-'97 will be the cheapest and most likely to find due to the non-wrap around seating and 1 piece sunpad. '98 gets the partial wrapped seating (which is the same seating as '99 - '01), though still stuck with that 1-piece sunpad (as is the '99).

Bump your budget up 5k and you will open yourself up to a lot more options.

I paid $20k in Canada for mine, 99 Sunsetter VLX. It needed skins, ballast pumps and bags, it had a tower, stereo sucked so upgraded that. Engine was solid at 450hrs. It still runs great and I love it!

Yea, that's what i'm noticing. Hence the reason I have started to wonder about the early v drives from malibu and possible modifications to ease the wake for better slalom. Now if one of the diamond hulls came my way that struck me just right for sure Id be all over it, but I really did not want to say no way to the early v drives since they cost less.

Bad thing about budget. It is what it is. So many 19 ft V6 i/o bow riders can be had for 15 or less in great shape, and my 88 model 17' i/o is shrinking all the time and the vinyl has just started showing some cracking in a few places, but I really wanted to move on into the non stern drive boats, and i'm so sold on malibu. I have seen on the internet an 01 vlx less that 2 hrs away from me at a dealer that looks in great shape. Its priced at 25 but I bet for sure if I went in with 20 to 22 cash Id walk out with it, but 20+ just is not in the cards.

Ah well, you guys have given me hope on the older v drives. If I found one of those for a great price, did some elbow work on it to make it nicer, enjoyed it,had it paid for and recouped by selling my other boat and a car, then in a few years I might could sell it and have enough to get into a diamond hull. If not, then the one I modded would still be a great one for me.

Thanks for the links. I had seen the first two already and they have stuck in my mind. The third offered by pop yachts I had not seen. They claim it to be the diamond hull but its not.

The first one is nice. Out the door and roll with it. Great color scheme. I dont like the color of the second one, but with the diamond hull, and its closer to me, that would be one Id look toward, but that price is too much. I have thought about contancting both of those, but just have not built up the courage to do so yet.

The second one definitely needs a lot of work which could be ok for you if you get the asking price down to 15k. I got mine for roughly what he is asking now and it was in way better shape (a lot cleaner 450 hrs ballast system plumbed etc) But you still end up throwing money at all boats in this price range to make them the way you want (stereo, seat cushion, new parts etc.) What is nice is there is a titan tower plus bimini and racks plus new cover. The dealer is a malibu which might help a little.

what's they worst they say? No