Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need comments on updating gauges to Autometer gauges

FastFreddy

Do you guys think I should update the gauges with these? These are autometer 1410 and 1499. The 1410 uses the same fuel level ohms of 240 to 33 so it shoulb be 100% compatible with the factory sender. It comes with new senders for the oil pressure and water temp. My MDC and 4in1 gauge aren't very reliable.

I have PP in the middle now, these pictures were from before PP stargazer. I would replace the RPM and the 4 in 1 gauge only.

Before

IMG_4470_zps81f9b489.jpg

After with black gauges

Newgauges_zps6598b091.jpg

Or white gauges

Whitegauges_zps83f504ab.jpg

Edited by FastFreddy

Yes you should, for sure! maybe add some bright colored bezels to make them pop too. This is on my list of winter mods and I am curious on how a guy picks out new gauges to ensure they work/mate with the senders that are in place.

I'm in Edmonton not too far from you. The Autometer gauges come with new senders so I would replace the senders for the water temp and oil pressure. Voltage is taken at the power hookup to the gauge, the fuel level sender is 100% compatible, no need to swap it.

Yes you should, for sure! maybe add some bright colored bezels to make them pop too. This is on my list of winter mods and I am curious on how a guy picks out new gauges to ensure they work/mate with the senders that are in place.

I looked up the Medallion II troubleshooting guide and it states that the fuel level is 240 to 33 ohms. I looked for a 5" gauge that had 4 in 1 and that had that resistance for the fuel level, Autometer makes a lof of different gauges. These are the closest match in color.

I think it updates the look for sure, more modern. Are you ordering online or buying in town somewhere? I am going to switch all of mine, RPM, Voltage, Fuel, Oil Pressure and Temp to White face Orange dial, maybe overkill but I want it to pop out at ya!

Ya I am kind of torn now between black and white after you showed me! I also have PP installed and it is on the right side opening now. I am also thinking of pulling the back mount and having one machined out of billet aluminum, same with the switch panel cluster. I am googling right now at some complete LCD sets that look awesome!

If you already have the black PP gauge I would stick with black. The white pops a little more but IMHO it is not worth spending any extra money if the only options are black or white. It would also match your depth sounder.

I was thinking of leaving the MDC connected to the original senders if I can. The Autometer gauges come with new senders so these would be "hard-wired" The reason for swapping them out is because I don't trust the Medallion gauges, My volt gauge is often 1+V low, the oil pressure gauge jumps around a ton. The only relaible one is the water temp gauge (I think). Anyways with a new set of gauges and senders I'll know where things are at.

Yes I would bypass the MDC with the new gauges. Is there a problem wit that?

I would like to know how you do this and how it works, so that we might have options when the medallion stuff dies.

I have no idea what the connection is between the MDC and the ECM if any?

Why not go with Faria gauges? They are the ones that make the Perfect Pass gauge body. That way every thing matches.

i-TqGHFzV-L.jpg

All you would need is the 5" tach (I use the one in the PP)..

HUGH
:)

Edited by HHARRIS

MDC and ECM - no connection. ECM is engine management, MDC is a complete junk digitized gauge package. The worst made were from the early 2000s, the stuff past 05 is much better but still a far sight less accurate and reliable. Just wait until all these newer boats start getting older for the flat screens and computer based goodies to start falling apart.

There's a thread on the MasterCraft Team Talk site that has a complete "how to" on replacing the MDC or at least the gauges.

So the MDC does not control anything on the engine? I thought it would give you alarms or shutdown the engine if condition "X" was true or something.

If this is true than I don't need to keep the old senders connected. I've added 6 gauges in my diesel truck and it was very easy to install. I added a pyro, oil pressure, boost pressure, transmission temp, fuel rail pressure and fuel pressure before the CP3.

Dont worry Boz, I'll take pictures and post here for sure!

Why not go with Faria gauges? They are the ones that make the Perfect Pass gauge body. That way every thing matches.

i-TqGHFzV-L.jpg

All you would need is the 5" tach (I use the one in the PP)..

HUGH

:)

I am used to autometer since thats what I put in my truck. I'll look at Faria. Thanks