Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Depreciation Question (2014 LSV)

store934

I realize there is a current thread about boat pricing being a big secret and in varies per dealer and area. From research on this forum and others it seems generally I could start as high as 30% off MSRP and consider maybe 15-20% off MSRP a good deal on new boat. So what about a boat that has a fair number of hours on it for its first year (275)? It’s a pretty basic boat, 350, lower end stereo and trailer, going to guess the MSRP was maybe 106-110 new. Warranty can be transferred and posted price before negotiation is 86K.

So considering that it is possible that this boat could have been had for maybe high 80's brand new if all went well, how aggressive would you be given the number of hours on this boat already?

I was considering starting at another 20% off of 86K but looking at boat trader and only inboads this seems really out of line with other 2014 boats with hours (granted most are 20-100 hours) and even 2013’s (most have lower hours still).

So really my question is, if we decide to make a move on this, would you pay more than low 70’s at most for a boat with ~ 300 hours on it? Seems if they still want in the low – mid 80s on a boat with hours, I am better off going after a new boat if a deal had because of the minimal depreciaton . I know really comes down to what I am willing to pay, but my gut says maybe 70-75 tops.

Are these boats really not depreciating that much as soon as they are sold and have a fair number of hours?

Problem is that with boat prices going up every year that it doesn't necessarily matter what they paid for it. The actual value is more of a differential off the current price for a new one.

Here's an example for you. In 2005 I paid $12,400 for a new Bayliner 195, in 2014 I sold it for $9500. Did it really keep its value or is the value because a new version of the same boat costs almost $30K?

That make sense, prices keep going which keeps the resale up. I can see why those that got a sweet deal can trade in every year or two with minimal loss.

I guess it is like anything, it comes down to what I am willing to pay and be willing to walk away if I don't like it. I just figured 300 hours was a lot for a boat to keep holding value after one year. Seems that the year and options are what really matters in the price, hours might not really be a factor like miles on a car.

To your point, make on offer and see where it goes. The worst that can happen is I keep my money. I was just looking for a gut check on how much to hold my ground on boat with hours. Seems there is not much difference between an boat with 60 and 300.

Thats like someone driving a car for 15,000 miles at 50 mph doesn't seem like much but for a boat I say its a good year. How was the wear and tear? Was it taken care of??? Negotiate if its the boat you want?

JK

It appears to be taken care of but I am going to do digging on the service. I think if we can't get it down in the lower 70s, I would be better off waiting it out for another 2014 boat to surface in the next 12 months which will likley about their asking price with lower hours if they won't budge. I think time is in my favor in either case as the 15s are hitting the show rooms and 14's are becoming older by the day...

It appears to be taken care of but I am going to do digging on the service. I think if we can't get it down in the lower 70s, I would be better off waiting it out for another 2014 boat to surface in the next 12 months which will likley about their asking price with lower hours if they won't budge. I think time is in my favor in either case as the 15s are hitting the show rooms and 14's are becoming older by the day...

Mine is for sale. check her out. PM me if interested

275 hours for a single year on a boat is an insane amount of hours. Probably the highest '14 LSV in the country. Take that + low options (that motor alone in that big of a boat would be a no-go for me), whatever the lowest '14 LSV in the country is going for, offer far less.

275 hours for a single year on a boat is an insane amount of hours. Probably the highest '14 LSV in the country. Take that + low options (that motor alone in that big of a boat would be a no-go for me), whatever the lowest '14 LSV in the country is going for, offer far less.

Yeah and then you wonder if the motor sucked so bad, how'd they manage to get 275 hours on her?

I would say 70k would be my top but with the season almost over for most, the off season deals and people that need to get out of them for financial reasons or job changes or loss will start showing up. Plus the dealers that need to move them to make room for new inventory will start taking small margin deals to get them off their floor plans. And to top it off Malibu will give dealers additional incentives and discounts to help them move. If u think u will keep the boat for a while wait a couple months and save yourself 10k or so additional than if u buy now

Yeah and then you wonder if the motor sucked so bad, how'd they manage to get 275 hours on her?

2419 + stock ballast only. Try surfing that loaded up and see how well it works for you. Ever wonder why a 247 was never offered with anything smaller than the 6.0L?

what you are seeing here is what I have been referring to what happens with the highest demand boats on 1-2yr old resale. They hold their value better than other comparable MSRP'd boats, especially if its kept in like new condition, options are right to keep price down and colors are favorable. Supply and demand. 2014 LSV is arguably the highest demand boat in the Malibu lineup. I think the new 22VLX will be chomping at its heels here shortly.

Hours. Generally folks expect to see 50-75hrs per year on used boats. We all know that 275hrs is NOTHING in terms of the lifespan of a 350. However, upon used private resale... expect a slight ding for the higher hours, newer less expereinced boat buyers think that boat has 30k miles on it, thats the reality.

Store- if the boat is in immaculate condition, I'd tell you low 80s is a great price on that boat...what you didnt talk about is the dealer and his reputation, service and A+ service AFTER the sale. huge variable folks dont take as seriously as they should. 50% of my decision to buy a boat.

Edited by nyryan2001