Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Grumbling noise in reverse

Early this year I purchased an 89' Euro F3, it is my first malibu and inboard for that matter. When I had i out the last few times, and you put it into reverse it seeems to make a grumbling noise, and the more gas you give it, it seems to get louder. It does not make any noise in forward at all. My question is, is that normally the way they sound in reverse or do I have possibly someting else wrong?? Hope someone out there can give me some help, Thanks Mike

Inboards will make a whining sound in reverse that isn't there in forward. If that is what you are hearing, it's normal.

Early this year I purchased an 89' Euro F3, it is my first malibu and inboard for that matter. When I had i out the last few times, and you put it into reverse it seeems to make a grumbling noise, and the more gas you give it, it seems to get louder. It does not make any noise in forward at all. My question is, is that normally the way they sound in reverse or do I have possibly someting else wrong?? Hope someone out there can give me some help, Thanks Mike

Just as a precaution, check your fluids to be sure that they look good & are at the proper levels, as well as for any obvious leaks. If everything checks out okay, then it's probably the norm. Inboards do make a different sound in reverse.

I checked the fluid in it and it is right where it should be. I guess it does have a whining sound to it. I hope that it normal, I guess time will tell. Thanks for the replys

I heard that the reason for the noise in reverse is that when going in forward gear, it is a hydraulic clutch as for reverse, a mecanical. Dontknow.gif Can anyone confirm?

I checked the fluid in it and it is right where it should be. I guess it does have a whining sound to it. I hope that it normal, I guess time will tell. Thanks for the replys

It's normal for you to hear this sound, as you checked the fluids and they checked out okay.

Check the strut bushings.

Is that what makes the clickity clack rumble in reverse when the engines is idling too low?

That is there to let you know you are going the wrong direction for water sports. ;)

And so the skier in the water knows when the wife is about to back over him. :lol:

The strut is the piece that attaches to the bottom of the hull that the shaft runs through. There is a bushing in there & it typically will whine when it's on its way out, but if you're not getting that all of the time (just in reverse) then that's probably not a problem.

The whine is completely normal for most inboards... The rumbling sound is most likely a combination of things. Inboards don't reverse very efficiently, the shape of the back of the boat and the fact that the prop is angled down will generally cause a little vibration while trying to back up. The actual sound that your hearing is most likely you exhaust, or lack there of.. Imagine shoving hundreds and hundreds of gallons of water in front of your exhaust flaps. Your engine will have to work a bit harder to push out the exhaust, and then you drowned and back over your typical "exhaust sound". All this stuff adds up to some pretty funny sounds. Mine does the same thing and I'm sure most everyone elses does to. Sounds normal to me. :)

Whining is a much different sound than grumbling. With respect to the strut bushings, I had one of the bushings (there are two in total) become dislodged from its set screw and slide down into the center of the strut. This negated the shaft-holding power of the strut and caused a definate mechanical grumbling sound when the boat was in reverse - never in forward, only reverse. Crawl under the boat, grab onto the prop shaft and give it a shake. Also try to turn the prop by hand. If nothing moves, all it ok and your problem is elsewhere.

I can turn my prop by hand. Does this mean I have a problem?

I agree with skiline. Mine does this when reversing as well. The first couple of seconds it does not make this noise but when you reverse for any length over about 7-8 seconds it starts "grumbling" I assumed it was because the boat really isn't made to go in reverse for any long length of time.