Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Steering Cable

I have a 96 Malibu response and the steering has been getting pretty stiff this last summer. I plan to replace it this upcoming off season but I can not seem to find what length of steering cable I need to order. Does anyone know what length and where I can order this cable from?

I have a 96 Malibu response and the steering has been getting pretty stiff this last summer. I plan to replace it this upcoming off season but I can not seem to find what length of steering cable I need to order. Does anyone know what length and where I can order this cable from?

Highly recommend you call Skidim. They'll know exactly which cable you'll need for the job. Bake's may as well however I've used Skidim for two cable replacements in the past and have had great success.

Have fun!

I do all my own maintenance and motor work. For this job, I brought my boat to the dealer and had them do it - cost $350 total. I took the dealer 5 hours. Would have taken me 2 days with trips back and forth, etc.

I do all my own maintenance and motor work. For this job, I brought my boat to the dealer and had them do it - cost $350 total. I took the dealer 5 hours. Would have taken me 2 days with trips back and forth, etc.

$150-200 for the cable and 2 hours labor sounds about right, wonder what went wrong to take 5 hours...?

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/steering-cable-replacement-r24

I did a steering cable on an 02 response. Pull the new one in with the old one (cut the end by the steering wheel) from front to rear. Have someone feed the new one as you pull the old one. There was a little plastic panel in the bilge which I opened to get my hand in and help the new end past an obstruction. I removed the hood and the carpeted panel behind it. Attach the cable to the rudder arm. Center the rudder, center the steering wheel, measure the stroke of the cable and pull/push it to the halfway point. Attach the steering rack which came attached to the cable to the back of the steering wheel. Check everything moves as it should with no interference, put the hood, panel, and back seat cushion if you use it back in the boat and test drive. It was my first attemp. The only iffy part was that with the wheel and rudder centered the teeth in the steering rack interfered with the gear in the steering wheel, but I moved the steering wheel a fraction and it lined up. According to the driver of the boat it was perfect. Took about 2 1/2 hours.