Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Official 2014-15 LSV 23 wakeboard setup thread?

Brian Young

So I'm looking to upgrade for next year, and going through the demo process. Can anyone share a good setup for the 23LSV? I went out once in a '15, and was rather impressed, but would like to see what the boat is capable of.

On the demo we had 550's in the lockers, 750 width wide in the bow, and a 400 in the floor by the driver seat. I'm coming out of a 08 VLX which is great, but I've about reached it's limits. The LSV was very similar shape, but bigger. Can it get WAY bigger, is what I'm trying to find out. By the way, the 350 handled this surprisingly well.

Also, strictly looking at wakeboarding wake, is the MXZ that much better. I don't really like the boat all that much, but if the wake is there, I might think about it. I'll likely demo one anyways.

I have rode behind my with 900s in the lockers. All factory full. A couple of 200lb guys in the bow and no wedge. It was very good. I think the new wedge will be awesome for heavily weighted boats.

Sent into space with tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. 1800 in back and 400 in the front. Seems like that would make it very peaky, and ride with the bow high. Maybe not with no wedge. Any input on the wake shape? What speed where you riding at?

The new wedge is rather impressive. I'm fairly positive the boat would not have gotten up without the lift provided by the new wedge.

I guess not a lot of Wakeboarding going on behind these boats?

24 mph? I'm far from a beginner rider, there is no way I like riding at 24mph. Is that minimum speed for a clean wake? That's one of the biggest factors of approving of a wake, and why I typically like Malibu's wake. If I have to ride 23 and above, no thank you.

Definitely at least 23 with that much weight. The wake was amazing with a perfect lip that kicks you up. I did ride Sunday with only factory with wedge one click up at 22 and the wake was super clean and still has that Malibu shape. These boats are so good for all types of riding. I only would slam my boat when a couple of my buddies that let it rip come along. Normally we wakeboard behind my buddies VLX and surf behind mine. Not that his is better but it's just more even use of boats.

Definitely at least 23 with that much weight. The wake was amazing with a perfect lip that kicks you up. I did ride Sunday with only factory with wedge one click up at 22 and the wake was super clean and still has that Malibu shape. These boats are so good for all types of riding. I only would slam my boat when a couple of my buddies that let it rip come along. Normally we wakeboard behind my buddies VLX and surf behind mine. Not that his is better but it's just more even use of boats.

Are you referring to the MXZ or your LSV?

What year VLX are you riding, for comparison?

My LSV is what I am talking about. No MXZ experience at all other than watching my neighbor ride behind there's with stock ballast. The VLXs I ride behind are an 05, 06, and a 08. I def like the 05 but it's probably because he slams it.

I put almost 4k in my '08 VLX. I thought the '15 23LSV was just a bigger version of what I ride, with 2250 extra on top. We were at 22.5mph. Probably could have gone slower.

How do you distribute the weight, when you load it out?

Brian, I've run every Malibu (VLX, 22MXZ, 24 MXZ, 23 LSV) with basically the same ballast setup for wakeboarding - 750 rears and 1k bow sack, 500 pounds of distributed lead, 2 clicks of wedge at 22 - 24 mph. This is not required to get a good wakeboarding wake, but to answer your question YES it can get bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply THTROG.

it's kind of amusing the more are almost 400 replies to the surf 23LSV surf setup thread, and not even 10 for wakeboarding setup. Sad.

I run mine with the 750s half full, 1000lbs sack in the front, MLS full, no wedge(if I run over MLS the wedge just pulls me off plane). We run anywhere from 22-25 and 70-85ft with this set up based on the rider. The wake is super poppy and huge.

• 9 months later...

People must have lots of experience with the 2015 LSV by now, any goods tips on a good wakeboard wake setup as a starting point ?

Especially interested to hear about the PW2 settings.

Has anybody got some good tips as a starting point for a wakeboard wake set-up for the '15 23 LSV. After both a beginners wake, and also an expert wake (one friend is an ex-pro and is coming out with us on the weekend, and I was sort of hoping for some tips as to where to start with the settings.).

I don't have a bow bag, just PW2, MLS and 2 x 550lb PnP.

Thanks

I have 750's in the back, 1000 lb triangle in the nose, and 800 lbs in pop bags mid ship. I run the wedge on 3 to 4 clicks up from the bottom, depending on how steep the rider likes it.

A beginner would be fine with no ballast and a the wedge all the way down.

I have 750's in the back, 1000 lb triangle in the nose, and 800 lbs in pop bags mid ship. I run the wedge on 3 to 4 clicks up from the bottom, depending on how steep the rider likes it.

A beginner would be fine with no ballast and a the wedge all the way down.

What speed are you running like that?

Seems like weight up front is a must, eh? I have 150 in lead tucked in the bow, but still if I have a drop of water over stock in the rear, the wake will start to crumble to a washy mess if the wedge is more than 1 click up (@23mph). I haven't tried using the bow sack yet.... and if I'm being honest I don't need it anyway. I've been very happy with wedge all the way down and bow full center full rears @ 75% for my meager skillset.

Seems like weight up front is a must, eh? I have 150 in lead tucked in the bow, but still if I have a drop of water over stock in the rear, the wake will start to crumble to a washy mess if the wedge is more than 1 click up (@23mph). I haven't tried using the bow sack yet.... and if I'm being honest I don't need it anyway. I've been very happy with wedge all the way down and bow full center full rears @ 75% for my meager skillset.

Thanks SD.

Are you saying your best wakeboard wake is front and mid MLS at 100%, rear MLS at 75%, and wedge all the way down at 0?

I was thinking of trying 100% full MLS, PnP at about 50% (~550lbs total), and wedge at 1 click up, but maybe that will be too much rear weight bias.

With that setup I can run as slow as 21.6, per zero off, and still have it perfectly clean. I think bow weight is absolutley needed,

Thanks SD.

Are you saying your best wakeboard wake is front and mid MLS at 100%, rear MLS at 75%, and wedge all the way down at 0?

I was thinking of trying 100% full MLS, PnP at about 50% (~550lbs total), and wedge at 1 click up, but maybe that will be too much rear weight bias.

I think you should be good w/ PNP 100% full. Will have to mess with the wedge setting to find where the limits are.

• 2 months later...

I don't know what is going on with our wake, but after having a perfect wakeboard wake all summer, these last 2 weekends, it's been absolutely horrible. No clean lip, White wash everywhere from 17-21mph, regardless of where people sit. I am not aware that we changed anything, but I can't get a clean wake below 21mph. Tried an 800b bag in the bow, then in the walkway. It became really apparent past 2 weekends as we've had lots of beginners out. Given the holiday lake traffic I didn't get a lot of time to play around, but I quickly started emptying the bow ballast ad filling the surf rear pnp bags and wake started to clean up. I think bow weight is bad for a clean wake at lower speeds. Will play around with this more next weekend, but thinking for beginners either no ballast or just rear ballast so the lip is clean < 19mph.

• 1 year later...

so it happened, my 3 year old (or my wife) deleted most of our presets last weekend.  Not going to point fingers at the war department, so little guy is taking the blame. 

I have recreated the two surf presets, beginner and intermediate wakeboard presents, but can't remember the advanced wakeboard preset.  

Can anybody recall what it was for a '14 or '15 LSV?  My guess is all ballast full, wedge at 1 click and 22mph?

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, augie09 said:

so it happened, my 3 year old (or my wife) deleted most of our presets last weekend.  Not going to point fingers at the war department, so little guy is taking the blame. 

I have recreated the two surf presets, beginner and intermediate wakeboard presents, but can't remember the advanced wakeboard preset.  

Can anybody recall what it was for a '14 or '15 LSV?  My guess is all ballast full, wedge at 1 click and 22mph?

On my 15 LSV it is 100% full ballast, 23 mph and either 2 or 3 clicks on the wedge