Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring Actuators to Switches

Ndawg12

Big thanks to Shawndoggy for the switch and link to custom switch covers ( http://www.otrattw.net/ ). I plan to wire up my actuators to these switches. I'd like to run them from the breaker panel but I'm not sure I have breakers big enough (20amp I think) or 2 of them that available. I'm terrible with figuring out wiring so what do I connect and where?

20140901_210715_zpsjkt1zoj2.jpg

7a4f9a2e-b87c-4609-8113-809b84fc9c7d_zps

• Like 2

Are you making a surf gate or NSS clone?

For surf gate, I gathered there is one ideal angle. For that, my assumption would be you would just want it to have a stop at a specific angle and apply power for a set amount of time, so a single switch could work for you (one direction for goofy, other direction for regular...I assume this is how Axis does it). For NSS I can see the need for that setup.

Are you making a surf gate or NSS clone?

For surf gate, I gathered there is one ideal angle. For that, my assumption would be you would just want it to have a stop at a specific angle and apply power for a set amount of time, so a single switch could work for you (one direction for goofy, other direction for regular...I assume this is how Axis does it). For NSS I can see the need for that setup.

Gate, my angle was set by a fixed mounting point, the length of the actuator, and needing the stowed position tight against (but not touching) the swim platform. Its not very drastic and makes maneuvering a lot easier. I also found that more angle meant more height but a much shorter wave. So max retract and max extend is how I have them installed, after I get the switches installed I will just time the travel time. The switches are momentary so a new user can't forget to turn them off, running a few seconds too long shouldn't hurt the actuator since it's never under a load.

So, 7, 8, 9, and 10 are for the lights in the switches. You can wire these a couple different ways. Do you want them to come on with your dash lights so you can see the switches, or come on when the switch is activated. Coming on when the switch is activated doesn't make a lot of sense when they are momentary switches. You could also have those lights come on when the units are fully extended or retracted if the pistons had limit switches in them.

Either way, 7 and 9 just go to ground. If you want them to light when you turn on the dash, connect 8 and 10 to the circuit on the dash, you can just daisy chain into it. If you want to have them light when you push the button, daisy chain 1 to 8 and then 3 to 10.

You power wiring comes in on 2. The retract goes out on 1 and your extend goes out on 3. That's counting on the switch aligning properly to the labeling.

http://www.wakemakers.com/pre-wired-ballast-pump-switch-connector.html

reversible ballast pumps and reversible actuators are wired the same way....

Thanks Shawn, I was trying not to bother you with this :biggrin: Hopefully I can make sense of it when everyone leaves the office and I can turn the sound on.

BTW, I'm not using any lights so I'm just using the middle 6 posts.

Edited by Ndawg12

Stupid, question, but will the gates be deployed at the same time? Reason I ask, why the need for 2 switches?

Never mind, I answered it myself. You need to have both actuators homed when off. Cant be done with a switch, that requires a controller.

Edited by MLA
  • Like 1

Dude Nate, just come down to Wylie, I'll help you wire them up. Since we'll basically have identical setups. In fact, I think I may have the same labels on my switches that you have....purely coincidental

Dude Nate, just come down to Wylie, I'll help you wire them up. Since we'll basically have identical setups. In fact, I think I may have the same labels on my switches that you have....purely coincidental

Ha!! I think I've got it figured out now. just waiting for another switch to arrive in the mail. But yeah I need to get down that way soon, haven't been on Wylie at all this year.