Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

This might be a dumb question, but . . .

DAI

Being a noob and still learning, I figure I'd start this to post my dumb questions (after I tried searching).

- when I go to wax the boat, including the hull, how do I get to the sections that are resting on the bunks?

- how do I add a rider preset for the boat? I can get it uploaded from the app but could not figure out how to add a new one; just edit or delete existing.

I'm sure much, much more to come over time.

No clue on the second one but one the first question, just ignore that section. Who is ever going to notice?

I was thinking more from a protection of the gel coat v astetics. Even though I walk the boat on and off the trailer at the launch, I got to think the wax rubs of there the quickest. Maybe when I have the dealer summerize and detail it coming out of storage in the spring, that once a year wax on those sections is good enough.

I was thinking more from a protection of the gel coat v astetics. Even though I walk the boat on and off the trailer at the launch, I got to think the wax rubs of there the quickest. Maybe when I have the dealer summerize and detail it coming out of storage in the spring, that once a year wax on those sections is good enough.

It probably is. Only way to really wax that area is to lift the boat off the trailer and that just doesn't seem worth the effort.

I have been told by several people, that it is a bad idea to wax gelcoat that is below the waterline. It is better to let it breath. Water in your bilge will impregnate small amounts of water into the fiberglass. If the the gel is sealed by wax, and not able to breath as well, it can cause the gel to blister easier.

Not sure if true, but it kinda makes sense.

When you pull up the rider presets in the mailview look in the bottom left it should say edit preset, hit that button and you can go in and change it. Just be sure to hit save preset at the end.

When the boat is off the trailer, just rub some wax on the bunks, then when you pull on the trailer it will wax those spots.

Now there's one of those if-can't-raise-the-roof-lower-the-floor ideas that has real potential.

Personally I would stick with the app, when you are entering in the details of each pre-set there is no way to back up if you enter past a letter in the name or skip over a tank/wedge/speed setting , you have to then cycle all the way through to get back to where you want to be.

Give each rider their own pre-set based how you think it will work best, then edit on the fly.

i.e use the up and down arrows on the right side of the screen to adjust the speed while preset is engaged. You can make slight adjustments to the wedge if it is engaged, Once you are at the desired settings use the save button at the bottom left and it will take you into the pre-set edit screen where you can save the current boat settings.

The amount of people in the boat can effect the speed and weight placement the rider desires, or what the boat can handle.

Edited by Stevo

So when the dealer details the boat, do they wax below the chines? I would bet that they don't, and even if they do, they stop at the bunks.

I had read that waxing the wetting surface area actually increases drag because the water sticks to a waxed hull and therefore decreases the top speed. A slight patina means more speed but whether this is only applicable for race boats only I have no idea. Bottom of your ski's are never waxed or shiny. I wax every other inch of the boat though, including the bow area as this is out of the water when running anyway.

Edited by brad72

Yes waxing the wetted surface of the hull slows the boat, but you would never notice it in a towboat. It's more important for sailboats or racing boats of any kind really. The only reason I would wax the wetted surface is if I was going to leave the boat in the water for long periods. Waxing it would make it easier to clean when you take it out.

Wow, did not know the wax question was going to be this heavily debated. The reason I asked was because in the owners manual (yes I read it . . . That is what 20 hour of air travel to Asia is for) it states 'wax the boat hull and deck after every 3 or 4 outings to decrease water friction and to lessen the potential for staining or spotting the gel coat surface.' Was not sure if I was missing an obvious way to get under the bunks, but I do like the wax the bunks approach.

I borrow my neighbors pontoon trailer for one day and acid wash (Tony's tonic) and wax (twice) the spots where the bunks are. Usually works out to be the hottest and calmest day of the summer.

Wow, did not know the wax question was going to be this heavily debated. The reason I asked was because in the owners manual (yes I read it . . . That is what 20 hour of air travel to Asia is for) it states 'wax the boat hull and deck after every 3 or 4 outings to decrease water friction and to lessen the potential for staining or spotting the gel coat surface.' Was not sure if I was missing an obvious way to get under the bunks, but I do like the wax the bunks approach.

You took your owner's manual to Asia....

Another question, where is a good place to store boards on the boat when trailering? I know not in the racks, but have yet to find a bin that works. Right now they just sit on the floor with the wake resting on the surf. This might be a problem that is solved once I have my evolution cover next year.

Another question, where is a good place to store boards on the boat when trailering? I know not in the racks, but have yet to find a bin that works. Right now they just sit on the floor with the wake resting on the surf. This might be a problem that is solved once I have my evolution cover next year.

How would the cover solve the where problem?

Edited by Baddog

DAI, good on you for trying to find a way to wax the hull. In my opinion, you really dno't need to unless you're in some funky water and you're leaving it in. Everything else you see and can get to, you're still doing better than the majority of owners. As for board storage, do the best you can with the trunks and under seats, may need to remove boots if you're full fo gear. have fun.

Padded bags for anything you care about. Our wakeboards just get tossed in the bed of the truck - rubber bed mat so they don't really move around.

I wax the bottom of my boat once a year in spring. I have a creeper and a Griot's Garage random orbital waxer. I get the bulk of it, but I don't sweat missing little bits here and there. I'm sure I miss all sorts of sections down there.