Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sweet wife left the boat running after trailering.

Glad your boat isn't ruined, but leaving it running is only one of the dumb things that got done (didn't get done).

Addressing the other issues would have resulted in finding the engine running. Your boat, but I'd suggest taking 5 minutes to do the normal things that should be done regardless of towing only a mile at 20mph.

1) Towing with people in the boat - either with the radio blasting or everyone is clinically deaf not to hear a running V8

2) Didn't put on the transom straps

3) Didn't check the trailer positioning (Maybe not a big deal on your boat, but it is on mine)

4) Didn't pull the plug (ticket able offense around here)

5) Didn't inspect/remove any aquatics from the boat or trailer (big fine around here)

6) Didn't wipe down the boat (This is the one some folks will think is the biggest sin)

I'm guilty of all that although most are not a big concern around here. I like to enjoy a couple barley sodas when I clean up and wipe down so I tow it home for that, doubt the 5.0 would like to see that in the tie-down area.

• Like 3

Glad your boat isn't ruined, but leaving it running is only one of the dumb things that got done (didn't get done).

Addressing the other issues would have resulted in finding the engine running. Your boat, but I'd suggest taking 5 minutes to do the normal things that should be done regardless of towing only a mile at 20mph.

1) Towing with people in the boat - either with the radio blasting or everyone is clinically deaf not to hear a running V8

3) Didn't check the trailer positioning (Maybe not a big deal on your boat, but it is on mine)

5) Didn't inspect/remove any aquatics from the boat or trailer (big fine around here)

6) Didn't wipe down the boat (This is the one some folks will think is the biggest sin)[/q]

My wife and I have been doing this for 4yrs and this is the first time anything has happened. My family and I have had this exact setup for the last 40yrs.

My wife pulls the plug as we are pulling up the ramp. Aquatic life is really an issue if you visit another lake. We don't.

My boat idling is really not that loud and the stereo volume wasn't that high maybe was even off because we had friends in the boat. I think she heard something but has never heard the boat running on the trailer before so didn't put it together.

We also wipe down the boat while it is in the shop, not out in the sun.

I also vacuum the water out of the bilge.

Is this good enough?

Edited by Mrsamman

My wife pulls the plug as we are pulling up the ramp.

????

The one in the engine compartment with the running motor, or the one on the transom next to the exhaust?

The one in the ski locker, its the lowest one when the boat is on the trailer.

Why are you questioning the way we do things, my wife made one mistake and you question the way I have been doing it for years.

I was asking for some advise on the motor and sharing a story of how people make a mistake. And that mistake didn't hurt anybody else.

Thanks for the criticism.

The one in the ski locker, its the lowest one when the boat is on the trailer.

Why are you questioning the way we do things, my wife made one mistake and you question the way I have been doing it for years.

I was asking for some advise on the motor and sharing a story of how people make a mistake. And that mistake didn't hurt anybody else.

Thanks for the criticism.

No problem, just pointing out some bigger issues that would keep you from making the mistake. My father in-law used to detach his bow hook before backing down the ramp, worked for 20+ years until the day it didn't. Didn't make the previous 20 years before dumping the boat on the concrete a good idea.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

What issues.......

You don't even know about the plug in the ski locker....

I take care of all the things you said in MY own way.

I've got a plug up there, but it wouldn't actually drain my boat on the ramp.

The issues were stated above (transom straps, no inspection of anything once it is on the trailer, etc) clearly you don't agree they are issues - carry on. Hopefully you can figure out something that works for you then so that the engine doesn't get left running on the trailer.

s*** happens. It would take more than that to hurt a good old Chevy 350......................................People love to feel they know better than everyone else.......................

• Like 2

No such concern here as my wife can't drive our boat since she hasn't get her license yet. She can drive the trailer+boat up the ramp, although I have to reverse the trailer down and into the water for her. I do lots of running around when it comes time to pack up, and have to time my retrieval perfectly so I don't hold anyone up. Hopefully she will learn this season.

Glad the boat is all good.

If the paint isn't blistered on the exhaust manifolds, you should be fine. I agree with changing the impeller. I bet she'll never make that mistake again.

I'll take a swing at these, mostly to point out that we all have different "issues" that others might laugh at, or maybe think aren't issues at all (but I do understand that they could be issues in your area):

Illegal in my state, but we used to ride back home in the boat when we were kids, because the boat ramp was just down the street. If I lived there now, I would let my kids ride in the boat all the way home. One consideration that may be overlooked here is the extra weight on the trailer. I would not let a boat full of adults ride home.

You'll want to debate me on this, but I never use them on my ski boats. I am fanatic about chains on both axles when I haul my Kubota on a trailer (and with 3" straps on the implements), but I have been towing boats since I was 16, and the big ones on fitted trailers just don't jump around much at all. Even if they did, the bunks and load guides would center them again. What I see passing as tiedowns for a boat are ridiculous. Cheap 1000 lb. capacity one inch straps aren't going to properly hold your boat either. Get something real or don't bother. In an accident, a couple of tired little straps aren't going to hold anything back.

I can visually inspect the alignment from the winch while the boat is still in the water.

My boat gets about a quart of water in it on a busy day. No need to pull any plugs I don't choose to pull. Usually it's only the ski locker one, since it is the one that will drain on the trailer.

The great thing about salt water in my area is you won't find weeds floating around. If you can take a few Lionfish with you, you're a hero.

6) Didn't wipe down the boat (This is the one some folks will think is the biggest sin)

The worst thing about salt water in my area is you don't just "wipe down" a boat. You wash it and the trailer, stem to stern, with soap and water, every time you take it out. I usually can't do that at a ramp.

With all that said, we power load the boat, so I do stop to let the driver out and to quickly unload any loose gear. I hope I would hear the motor if the driver left it running. Around here, if you're not on and off the ramp in about a minute, people start staring, then laughing, then complaining. Not much time left to listen for the motor....

I'm going with the Doc on this one. Heck, lot of people are on their second (or more) wives. A lot cheaper than a new engine.

Perhaps this is a firing offense... Getting a new wife could be cheaper, but offloading the current one will definitely not be cheaper. Probably best to see a marriage counselor, work through the tough emotions, and rely upon your own ears in the future to ensure the boat has been turned off before putting the truck in drive at the launch.

I'll take a swing at these, mostly to point out that we all have different "issues" that others might laugh at, or maybe think aren't issues at all (but I do understand that they could be issues in your area):

Illegal in my state, but we used to ride back home in the boat when we were kids, because the boat ramp was just down the street. If I lived there now, I would let my kids ride in the boat all the way home. One consideration that may be overlooked here is the extra weight on the trailer. I would not let a boat full of adults ride home.

You'll want to debate me on this, but I never use them on my ski boats. I am fanatic about chains on both axles when I haul my Kubota on a trailer (and with 3" straps on the implements), but I have been towing boats since I was 16, and the big ones on fitted trailers just don't jump around much at all. Even if they did, the bunks and load guides would center them again. What I see passing as tiedowns for a boat are ridiculous. Cheap 1000 lb. capacity one inch straps aren't going to properly hold your boat either. Get something real or don't bother. In an accident, a couple of tired little straps aren't going to hold anything back.

I can visually inspect the alignment from the winch while the boat is still in the water.

My boat gets about a quart of water in it on a busy day. No need to pull any plugs I don't choose to pull. Usually it's only the ski locker one, since it is the one that will drain on the trailer.

The great thing about salt water in my area is you won't find weeds floating around. If you can take a few Lionfish with you, you're a hero.

The worst thing about salt water in my area is you don't just "wipe down" a boat. You wash it and the trailer, stem to stern, with soap and water, every time you take it out. I usually can't do that at a ramp.

With all that said, we power load the boat, so I do stop to let the driver out and to quickly unload any loose gear. I hope I would hear the motor if the driver left it running. Around here, if you're not on and off the ramp in about a minute, people start staring, then laughing, then complaining. Not much time left to listen for the motor....

Man, if Gary was the law man around your launch you'd be doing hard time...

one more thing to think about is the exhaust hoses, they can blister from the inside out where the hot exhaust came in contact with the hose that normally would have had water mixed with the exhaust....feel around for some soft spots that maybe are blistered or bubbled or de-laminated now....if you look at my exhaust hoses on my motor, I use a higher temp hose to help alleviate such issues....otherwise just change the oil if you are using Dinosaur oil and change the impeller and you should be good to go

now that I think about it, you may want to check the mufflers for cooked spots as well

Ok, that is all I can think of and add to the conversation....

• Like 2

one more thing to think about is the exhaust hoses, they can blister from the inside out where the hot exhaust came in contact with the hose that normally would have had water mixed with the exhaust....feel around for some soft spots that maybe are blistered or bubbled or de-laminated now....if you look at my exhaust hoses on my motor, I use a higher temp hose to help alleviate such issues....otherwise just change the oil if you are using Dinosaur oil and change the impeller and you should be good to go

now that I think about it, you may want to check the mufflers for cooked spots as well

Ok, that is all I can think of and add to the conversation....

Good call on the exhaust hoses.

The boat ran fine today. The wife remembered to turn off the motor and I changed the oil afterwards. Asked the wife about getting the kids a new kneeboard and she just have me a dirty look.

Thanks for all the support.

She sleeps next to me at night....but who is she really? Don't ever look at her in the eyes...oh...she's coming

This is one of those posts that sound dirty but aren't....I think.

I wouldn't feel too terrible. Im friends with quite a few guys from the local Nautique dealer in town. There were a few young ladies with a brand-new promo boat that left the engine running on the trailer for several HOURS during a road trip home from FL to IN. Needless to say the engine was complete trash. The paint had completely burned off the engine and the plastic cover on top had melted into an unidentifiable blob.

Edited by BoatFlyRide

Ok you're wife is taking a beating here. Hey guys? how about teaching all of your ladies to drive and maintain the boat without you? I know, you're afraid they will go out and have all that fun without you.