Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sweet wife left the boat running after trailering.

We loaded the boat today and we have a 4 minute drive back to the cabin so everyone stays in the boat.

When I started to back the boat in the shop she realized what the sound was she had been hearing...the boat was running... I didn't think to check the temp gage afterwards but it checked the manifolds and I couldnt keep my hands on them for very long. So a couple of hours later we put the boat back in the water she idled around the launch for about five minutes and the temp didn't get above 165. In the morning I am going to take out the impeller and put the back up in and water test again.

Anything to look for?

Thanks

Scott

This has got me thinking. I let my boat run for about 10-15 seconds as the boat is being pulled from the water with theory being it pushes the water from the exhausts. Do i need to do this or just switch it off before being pulled?

This has got me thinking. I let my boat run for about 10-15 seconds as the boat is being pulled from the water with theory being it pushes the water from the exhausts. Do i need to do this or just switch it off before being pulled?

A mate of mine has been doing this for decades and swears by it.

If the engine is running ok, you probably dodged a bullet.

I would definitely put a new impellor in and change the oil (heat kills oil).

I don't really understand this since the water jackets in the exhaust will still be full of water.

Yes my wife feels terrible. I will change the oil, I bought a couple extra gallons this spring. The engine ran fine last night for the little bit we did run it afterwards.

I'm going with the Doc on this one. Heck, lot of people are on their second (or more) wives. A lot cheaper than a new engine.

I figured a new engine would be way cheaper, especially in the long run!

Yes my wife feels terrible. I will change the oil, I bought a couple extra gallons this spring. The engine ran fine last night for the little bit we did run it afterwards.

Update today please! It's making me nervous! I hope she runs!

For those of us who don't live on the water and have to warm up the boat on the hose for oil changes, we know how long it takes for the boat to actually warm up just idling. I'm sure it's possible to overheat a boat idling without raw water, but it takes longer than you think.

• Like 2

Did the same thing a few weeks back, I was in my boat being pulled and didn't realize I hadn't shut it off, was only for maybe 5-10 seconds though, boat/oil and impeller have all been no issue since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of us who don't live on the water and have to warm up the boat on the hose for oil changes, we know how long it takes for the boat to actually warm up just idling. I'm sure it's possible to overheat a boat idling without raw water, but it takes longer than you think.

Agree but not sure that's true when it's not getting any water at all. My first run of this season my system was air locked and the temp went to 200 quick, within 4 minutes for sure. Shut it down, thought about it, fired it back up, and bumped the rpm's up to 2-3000 for a few seconds and it cleared.

Can I ask a silly question here? How in the hell do you not notice it was running when putting on the transom straps?

We drive less than a mile back to our place, we pull straight out of the water and drive back with people still in the boat. Its all neighborhood so dont even go over 20mph.

Update, family didn't feel very good yesterday so we didn't get the boat out. Will update next weekend.

Glad your boat isn't ruined, but leaving it running is only one of the dumb things that got done (didn't get done).

Addressing the other issues would have resulted in finding the engine running. Your boat, but I'd suggest taking 5 minutes to do the normal things that should be done regardless of towing only a mile at 20mph.

1) Towing with people in the boat - either with the radio blasting or everyone is clinically deaf not to hear a running V8

2) Didn't put on the transom straps

3) Didn't check the trailer positioning (Maybe not a big deal on your boat, but it is on mine)

4) Didn't pull the plug (ticket able offense around here)

5) Didn't inspect/remove any aquatics from the boat or trailer (big fine around here)

6) Didn't wipe down the boat (This is the one some folks will think is the biggest sin)