Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Sunsetter LXI turns over but won't start...

Hey guys, I'm up at the lake and unfortunately boat issues are putting a stint in our ski weekend.

I have a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter LXI that was running fine earlier in the day but now won't start. The boat had plenty of gas and will turn over but will not start. When I turn the ignition on there is no beep and the gauges don't move and set like they normally do. Connections to the battery look solid and the bilge pump and blower work fine. Any ideas?

Kill switch appears to be fine from the outside, I tried taking it on and off a few times and holding the switch with my finger but still no luck

Messed around with the kill switch taking it on and off and then finally it worked! Thank you for the advice! Great troubleshooting guide. So I most likely need to replace the kill switch? I'm not sure how to short the wires

You can swap from the side terminals to the top/bottom terminals. Or just get a short double sided blade connector & connect the two wires together.

Forget replacing the kill switch, go with the wienrdog's solution. I have. Who here ever uses the kill switch as it is intended? I'm going with no one.

I actually used mine on occasion.

I got one of those 'wristband' velcro straps from a jet ski place and connected it to the end of the lanyard. There were two times I would wear the lanyard:

First, if I was out alone just cruising and 'enjoying the handling' of a DD boat, I would wear it.

Second, if I was letting a kid or unskilled adult drive the boat (everyone has to learn sometime), I would sit on the engine box with the lanyard on my wrist so I could pull the switch immediately if it seemed they were getting into a situation where I wanted the engine stopped right away (I never had to yank it on anyone, but it was an option).

I would replace it....cheap, easy and the next owner my want it.

• Like 1