Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PNP 101 in new LSV

Red_Duck

Newbie here would appreciate advice from the very experienced crew on PNP in my new 14 LSV.

After 30 hours and much experimentation I've concluded extra ballast is something I want to try. The boat has PNP but no extra weight beyond the 4 MLS tanks.

1) I want to put large (900?) sacs in each of the rear lockers. Is this a 'simple' job and which sacs (is there much difference?). How do they fill/drain? Is it overflow on each of the stock rear MLS tanks. And if so, is it a manual fill from the MLS screen or can the preset be set to fill them? Same for draining...do they drain first?

I plan to just get the 2 x sacs to start with before experimenting with coffins (I assume thats the term for the storage lockers under the seats down the side of the boat where the cooler goes for example).

I noticed with the 'factory' setup of surfgate that the bow tank was not set up to fill. I wonder if that is Malibu's way of telling me that the best wave is without it. Of maybe it was an error in setup. Anyway, I don't plan to get extra weight there right now. I like the idea of the sacs being hidden and putting a couple of people there will get me 300 anyway to experiment with.

Finally, the price of the sacs doesn't seem to vary much. Any advice on which sacs you have found to be best and which dealer to source them from?

Thanks for the advice. I know some of this is in this thread but really appreciate your time.

It is an easy job to do. I would suggest lengthening the rear drain hose so the bag can go all the way back. The hard tank will fill first, however the fill through the bag. Meaning the water goes into the bag and drains into the hard tank. Draining is the same way. Drains out of hard tank and gravity feeds the water out of the bag into the hard tank. You will have to manually push the right and left tanks on the MLS to fill the pnp.

I also would like to add some in the back to my 2014 Lsv ..really not happy with the wave stock , my buddy has a 2014 g23 stock and it blows my lsv23 away stock surfing ..... So what size and brand should I buy ? And can I get away with just the 2 PNP? I really dont want bags all over my boat

Edited by dfraz

I also would like to add some in the back to my 2014 Lsv ..really not happy with the wave stock , my buddy has a 2014 g23 stock and it blows my lsv23 away stock surfing ..... So what size and brand should I buy ? And can I get away with just the 2 PNP? I really dont want bags all over my boat

We routinely surf with full MLS and 800 Ronix pnp bags. I wouldn't recommend the Ronix bags though. If I had to do it again, I would buy Sumo. I do have an 1100 bag for the bow I manually fill sometimes. If we are light on human ballast and have a full tank of fuel. It helps keep the bow down.

We routinely surf with full MLS and 800 Ronix pnp bags. I wouldn't recommend the Ronix bags though. If I had to do it again, I would buy Sumo. I do have an 1100 bag for the bow I manually fill sometimes. If we are light on human ballast and have a full tank of fuel. It helps keep the bow down.

Thanks for the help !!!

• 5 weeks later...

Only reason not to use them is bigger bags=bigger wave.... I would buy minumum 750's and use one of your existing bags for the bow....

I have the 1100's they will not fill 100% but still notably more than the 750's

Edited by DarkSide

I want to even out the weight so i get a bigger WAKE :biggrin:

I'm thinking putting the 565 I already have in the back, and Fly High 370's under the seats on each side.

Still not sure on the bow. I have 1000 lbs of Pop Bags. Probably not a good idea to have that much solid ballast in the nose, since I trailer. So combo of solid and water ballast, or maybe just go triangle sac.

Really wish i could hide everything, but don't think that is going to be possible.

Newbie here would appreciate advice from the very experienced crew on PNP in my new 14 LSV.

After 30 hours and much experimentation I've concluded extra ballast is something I want to try. The boat has PNP but no extra weight beyond the 4 MLS tanks.

1) I want to put large (900?) sacs in each of the rear lockers. Is this a 'simple' job and which sacs (is there much difference?). How do they fill/drain? Is it overflow on each of the stock rear MLS tanks. And if so, is it a manual fill from the MLS screen or can the preset be set to fill them? Same for draining...do they drain first?

I plan to just get the 2 x sacs to start with before experimenting with coffins (I assume thats the term for the storage lockers under the seats down the side of the boat where the cooler goes for example).

I noticed with the 'factory' setup of surfgate that the bow tank was not set up to fill. I wonder if that is Malibu's way of telling me that the best wave is without it. Of maybe it was an error in setup. Anyway, I don't plan to get extra weight there right now. I like the idea of the sacs being hidden and putting a couple of people there will get me 300 anyway to experiment with.

Finally, the price of the sacs doesn't seem to vary much. Any advice on which sacs you have found to be best and which dealer to source them from?

Thanks for the advice. I know some of this is in this thread but really appreciate your time.

What do you think of the standard surf wake of your '14 23 LSV with just the MLS, SG, and Power wedge (no PNP / sacs at all)? Obviously smaller than you want hence the additional sacs, but what about the shape etc? Is it OK?

My dealer is recommending these:

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-2013-malibu-plug-play-sac-550.html

Does the shape and fittings locations necessary/better than the standard sacs.

I have these already:

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-gravity-games-rear-sac.html

Any reason I shouldn't just use them.?

The dealer recommended bags will probably give a better fit, but at a higher price. I would go with the sumo 750s. They have 1inch ports so they drain faster (not sure about the dealer recommended flyhighs), they're a lot cheaper and you can add a vent line to the top of the bag.

Edited by teamerickson

What do you think of the standard surf wake of your '14 23 LSV with just the MLS, SG, and Power wedge (no PNP / sacs at all)? Obviously smaller than you want hence the additional sacs, but what about the shape etc? Is it OK?

The MLS setup when delivered had, for surfing, the rear locker, and the centre tank 100% full, but the front tank empty. With the wedge fully down and with 4-6 people in the boat, evenly weighted on either side, the wake is good. Certainly good enough for beginners like us. The wake is more sensitive to evenly weighting side-to-side than it is front to back. So putting weight in the bow tank, or shifting people up there made a slightly different length and not quite so sharp a top.

I have bought 2 x Sumo 750's which I am installing next weekend and will play around. What I am seeking is a longer wake rather than larger/taller. The kids get very close to the back of the boat and the distance over which to play is a bit short. If I could get the same size/shape wake but just twice a long, I would be happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Red_Duck, how was the wake with the Sumo's fitted? Have you tried it yet.

I'm still planning on trying to make it work absolutely stock (no PnP or sacks) as I would hate to lose the storage at the rear. I'm hoping that with just the MLS, S'gate and the wedge (I wonder if PW2 will make any difference?) I can get a decent wake. Not perfect, but usable.

So, I installed the extra ballast for the final weekend before putting the boat away. It went well. A few notes. Boat = 2014 23LSV with PNP

1. The PNP hoses are cut to random lengths. Fortunately I had purchased 2 x 2ft hoses from WakeMakers otherwise that would have been a bust.

2. I cut the hose at the stern really short so the bags go all the way back. Alternative was to cut the floor panel and bring the hose over the top but if you cut the hose short enough (3 inches) then it seemed like a better solution. Over the top of the panel means cutting plastic and a bigger chance of kinking IMHO.

3. Hose at the bow was fine but the top hose was too short. I put the 2ft hose into the top so that when the bag is empty the lockers are fully usable without the pipe in the way.

4. Removing the plugs in the PNP hoses was a real drag and required a lot more effort than I expected, and gloves.

Bags fill the locker completely and get fully inflated. I went with Sumo 600s in the end. That combined with a 400 on the floor makes a big difference to the size of the wave. I would still prefer it were longer rather than quite as tall but its a worthwhile upgrade for me.

I did have 2 spare 400 sacs and put them in the bow for fun. Didn't seem to make a lot of difference but meant the standard motor struggled to get much beyond 10mph. Standard prop, 4 people, all tanks full, 2 x 600s in the back and 3 x 400s in the boat. I guess it is a lot of weight. Taken them out now, not worth it

You need more speed to lengthen the wave. I surf my 14 lsv at 12mph. Change your prop to a 2419, leave the bags, and then see what the wave looks like. What is the standard prop?

thank you mrnate450r.

Actually, the boat came with an Acme 2419 'torque prop'.

I just put the boat away for the winter but come next spring, I will do as you suggest; fill all standard tanks and go a bit faster than the 10.4 setting from the factory.

I do know from this past weekends experience that with all standard tanks full, 2 x sumo 600s, 1 x 400 on the floor in the middle, a few people, and 1000ft of elevation (Lake Lanier, GA) the poor 350 Monsoon will not do 12mph. Let's see what it looks like without the 1600 pounds of extra weight.

So, I installed the extra ballast for the final weekend before putting the boat away. It went well. A few notes. Boat = 2014 23LSV with PNP

1. The PNP hoses are cut to random lengths. Fortunately I had purchased 2 x 2ft hoses from WakeMakers otherwise that would have been a bust.

2. I cut the hose at the stern really short so the bags go all the way back. Alternative was to cut the floor panel and bring the hose over the top but if you cut the hose short enough (3 inches) then it seemed like a better solution. Over the top of the panel means cutting plastic and a bigger chance of kinking IMHO.

3. Hose at the bow was fine but the top hose was too short. I put the 2ft hose into the top so that when the bag is empty the lockers are fully usable without the pipe in the way.

4. Removing the plugs in the PNP hoses was a real drag and required a lot more effort than I expected, and gloves.

Bags fill the locker completely and get fully inflated. I went with Sumo 600s in the end. That combined with a 400 on the floor makes a big difference to the size of the wave. I would still prefer it were longer rather than quite as tall but its a worthwhile upgrade for me.

I did have 2 spare 400 sacs and put them in the bow for fun. Didn't seem to make a lot of difference but meant the standard motor struggled to get much beyond 10mph. Standard prop, 4 people, all tanks full, 2 x 600s in the back and 3 x 400s in the boat. I guess it is a lot of weight. Taken them out now, not worth it

Thanks Red_Duck

Did you add 2 feet to the end of the fill hose, or just replace the existing hose from the on/off valve connection with one 2 feet long?

Did you discover any tips in getting the connectors off, as you said it was more difficult than you expected? I don't want to use heat (as don have a heat gun), but did you try anything else? Wakemakers told me heat is probably not necessary anyway.