Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How Many Hours?

chathamsolutions

How Many Hours Do You Use Your Boat?  

319 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours did you put on your boat the first year?

• I don't own a boat - YET!
    • 1 - 20 hours
    • 21 - 30 hours
    • 31 - 40 hours
    • 41 - 50 hours (I've heard this is the average)
    • 51 - 60 hours
    • 61 - 70 hours
    • 71 - 80 hours
    • 81 - 90 hours
    • 91 - 100 hours
    • 101 - 125 hours
    • 126 - 150 hours
    • 151 - 200 hours
    • 201 - 250 hours
    • 251 - 300 hours
    • 301 - 400 hours
    • 401 - 500 hours
    • 501 - 600 hours
    • 601 - 700+++ hours
    • I didn't get to use my boat the first year due to injury or other reason
  2. 2. How many additional hours did you put on your boat the SECOND year?

• I consistently sell my boat after the first year.
    • I've only owned my boat one year / Or I don't own a boat.
    • 1 - 20 hours
    • 21 - 30 hours
    • 31- 40 hours
    • 41 - 50 hours
    • 51 - 60 hours
    • 61 - 70 hours
    • 71 - 80 hours
    • 81 - 90 hours
    • 91 - 100 hours
    • 101 - 125 hours
    • 126 - 150 hours
    • 151 - 200 hours
    • 201 - 250 hours
    • 251 - 300 hours
    • 301 - 400 hours
    • 401 - 500 hours
    • 501 - 600 hours
    • 601 - 700+++ hours
    • I didn't get to use my boat the second year due to injury or other reason
  3. 3. How many hours for other years?

• I do not own a boat - YET!
    • I've only owned my boat one or two years.
    • I consistently sell my boat after the second year.
    • I use my boat the same percentage of hours as the second year, then I consistently sell it after the third year.
    • I use my boat less than I did during the second year, but I consistently sell my boat after the third year.
    • I have consistently put the same percentage hours on my boat after the second year.
    • I have consistently put the same percentage hours on my boat after the second year. I'm looking to buy new and start fresh.
    • I have consistently put the same percentage hours on my boat after the second year. I'm looking to get out of boating.
    • I have consistently put less and less hours on my boat after the second year.
    • I have consistently put less and less hours on my boat after the second year. I'm looking to buy new and start fresh.
    • I have consistently put less and less hours on my boat after the second year. I'm looking to get out of boating.
    • I have consistently put more and more hours on my boat after the second year.
    • I have consistently put more and more hours on my boat after the second year. - Can't wait to buy a new one!

Unfortunately I'm finding that I've put about 25% less hours on our boat the second year we've owned it. Not sure how that worked out, I'm just as excited about owning it today as I was last year. But that's how it's been.

I wanted to see what the experience was for the rest of you. What's the trend?

Let me know if there's another line I should add to the poll.

YOU MUST ANSWER EACH QUESTION TO GET YOUR VOTE COUNTED.

I jacked with the poll at the very beginning. Sorry if your vote doesn't show. PM me your votes if you want them listed.

For us, it really hasn't mattered as much which year of ownership we are in, it comes down to other factors.

1. Kids sports and activities. When our kids were little, they had no outside activities (soccer, softball, etc.) that took up time on the weekends during the spring and fall. Now it seems that our season only lasts from June through mid September (and September is greatly reduced).

2. Weather. Some years we have cold springs sometimes they're warmer. Sometimes it's rainy on days when we have free time to go out. This spring has been cold and rainy in Ohio.

3. Work and family vacations/activities. Summer vacations and other activities take away from boating time. My wife is a teacher and is off all summer. However, sometimes my work hours can increase to the point that it is harder to get out.

It seems like some years are better than others. We have found that we must schedule boating time just like any other activity and stick to the schedule (unless it rains) or before we know it the summer has come and gone.

Blast is right.

We put 75 hrs on the boat first season, and then only another 50 the second. This year will be around 40 :(. But you know, with all the rain this year, that stoped alot of ridding. Me working full time will be slowing us down. The family traveling alot more will slow it down. And I have even had a few times when no one could go :(. I am still trying to get out as much as possible.

Dang, Andy - where's the choice for 'I'd have a whole lot more hours on my ride if I wasn't sitting here reading all the different choices for this poll'? Crazy.gif

Come to think of it, kinda ironic that you mention you aren't getting as many hours as you used to, but you aparently have time to think up this poll. STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER AND GO OUT IN YOUR BOAT! :lol:

Our first year, 2003, was very rainy. Our local lake had speed restrictions for a good part of the summer due to high water. Even our vacation was cold and rainy. Therefore only 25 hours. Since then 50+ a year. Hoping that number goes up this summer. [edit] It didn't, only 37. I also put about 40 hours a year on my Winner which is my salt water boat. I grew up on the Jersey coast and now I live about 30 miles inland.

Edited by electricjohn

Thanks Jerry.

We never go out in the boat on Sunday. But I generally find time to hit the Crew before church :)

The polls usually come to me while I'm laying in bed, dozing off. 'Man, why have we only gotten 75 hours in this season and last year we hit 99? - HEY! That would be a cool poll question!'

- Something like that.

And yes, writing the poll out does take time. But if I didn't do it, who would? Tongue.gif

With the cost of gas rising, my poll answers have taken a new twist.

Prior to this year, most of my marine activity has been with my Malibu. Mostly skiing, kids boarding, some touring & day trips.

Decided to diversify..... bought a used pontoon boat for the day trips. Will increase my overall "on-the-water" time, but reduce the hours per year in the Malibu. So..... the Malibu will likely only leave the dock as a Towboat.

I also have family members who visit who like to fish (yuck). This was never allowed in the Malibu. No food. No bait. No smoking. They now can do this kind of stuff in the party boat.

Net = the Malibu annual hours will drop. But the ski hours won't. Oveall gas costs drop. Malibu gets to last a bit longer between oil changes and other usage related maintenance.

My hours will likely go up slightly each year. It takes 30-60 minutes for my (now 4 yo) son to ski/skim or kneeboard around the lake. I foresee increased water time with increased age. Clap.gif

We put on roughly 100 last year (our first year) and this year I have already put on 8 hours Yahoo.gif We are taking our boat down to shasta to help out at our Church's high school HB trip and the boat is scheduled to run 8 hours a day for 5 days so we will likely rack up close to 30 hours (the engine isn't always running) during that week Shocking.gif

we clocked up 160 hrs in the 1st year but that did include 2 weeks of holidays where the boat was in the water everyday

I answered the best I could with such "limited" choices. :)

My first few years of real "Malibu" boating were the best for me. I had my boat 50' from my back door on a lift. We used it literally 12 months out of the year and put hundreds of hours on it year. When I got into the promo thing and was unable to use the boat on our lake (do to size restrictions) I found my usage dropped - a lot! First year with the VLX we did ~175, second VLX we did ~125, third & fourth combined one year ~125, fifth less than 50 but we didn't have it very long.

Last summer was probably one of the best boating summers since we had the sporty. We picked up the cruiser and were able to enjoy the boat every weekend for the rest of the summer! Put nearly 100 hours on it and only had it half the summer. This summer we are looking at being back up over 200+ hours!

Wow. Out of 70 votes, over 30% put over 90 hours on their boat the first year. And almost 60% put over 60 hours on it the first year.

Wow. Out of 70 votes, over 30% put over 90 hours on their boat the first year. And almost 60% put over 60 hours on it the first year.

Hey Andy - what about a poll to record your most expensive month for gas purchases, like my April where the Mobil card got hit for $843.00!!! Not all on the water - we still had to fill the Chevy to get the boat to the Lakes and back.

i usually do between 125-150 a year. i bough my forst malibu at the end of last summer with 6 hours. i just took it for servcie on sat wiht 56hours.. i'll probably have about 200 by the end of summer.

I can't say that I know for sure how many hours we put on in the first few years of being a boat owner since our boats back then didn't have hour meters. But the first year that I did own a boat that had one we recorded about 100 hours. For the last 2 years that is what we have averaged. I will qualify that by saying that 2 years ago we lost almost 2 months of the summer (August & September) due to building a new home that we were doing most of the finish work on ourselves. Last year, we sold our boat in August & didn't take delivery on the new one until the end of September - another 2 months of the summer gone. I think that we could have easily gotten to 150 in each of those years if it weren't for those instances. We've put almost 50 hours on her since delivery day last Fall, & I'm looking forward to possibly seeing 200 roll over before the 1 year anniversary in September.

When I bought mine last June the previoius owner had used it 5 seasons for a total of 100 hours. Figures that he sold it. After it all this is Minnesota and our good skiing season runs from July 4 thru July 5 and sometimes it rains on one of those two days.

I put on about 35 hours in the partial season last year with my older skier out of the country almost the whole season. With the old boat sold and an earlier start this year (4 runs already in) and both my skiers anxious the boat will get more use. The older one needs to catch up to the younger one after not learning anything last year. The younger one bought a new board to play with. I also added a fly hi pole, wedge, and bimini this year so everyones interest is peaked. I'd be surprised if we put on less than 80 hours this year.

We had one year where we put 60 hours on the boat because we spent a month at the lake from *ell. Other than that blip we put 100+ hours per summer. It lives in the water for the whole 2-1/2 months of summer that we get.

If we lived two minutes from a lake and not a crowded polluted river we would have probably logged 200 hours last summer...you just don't want to spend a whole lot of time in that river Crazy.gif

We have had our boat for 3 weeks and just hit 10 hours. We have used it every weekend, but dont' put that many hours on it due to how we use it. We go out for a few hours in the morning and at night, but keep the boat on the lift during the day when all the jet skiiers, tubers and such are out. Then around 6, when everyone goes home, we lower the boat and head back out for a few hours.

Well I just got the boat March 1 and didn't get it out until Mar 26, already have 32 hours on the boat and plan on putting more on it this weekend. I figure I will put anywhere from 5-10 hours a week on it maybe more as the weather keeps getting warmer. The plan is to be at the lake every chance I can.

Here is a question that affects how many hours you pile on. While changeing skiers, equipment, or whatever do you let your enging idle or turn it off for those few minutes? They add up over time. I usually let mine run unless I know it will be more than 2-3 minutes up front.

I bought my VLX at the end of Feb 05. In Feb 06, I had 340 hours. I am at 380 now, and don't plan on slowing down. Only thing that holds me up is work getting in the way of getting out more often. No problem getting a crew, and I live 2 miles from the lake.

Livin' LARGE! Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

Here is a question that affects how many hours you pile on. While changeing skiers, equipment, or whatever do you let your enging idle or turn it off for those few minutes? They add up over time. I usually let mine run unless I know it will be more than 2-3 minutes up front.

Off for skier change over 98% of the time. Exhaust, safety, engines hours among the reasons to shut 'er down. That, and I could swim to shore, have breakfast and swim back in the time it takes my wife to get her crap on and get in the water. Biggrin.gif