Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Powell Bummer

kdspindl

Well, my favorite week of the year is officially up in smoke. We go to Powell every year on a beautiful 75' houseboat, bring the Bu, rent some jet-skis, you know the deal. We were supposed to leave this Sunday for the week. Well, the family who was to join us this year backed out 2 weeks ago with a work conflict. My family does not want to go solo as Powell is always a little work (managing all the toys, digging anchors, etc.) along with all the fun. Thus, we are punting to next year and leaving her sit at Antelope Point for the week.
So I am now counting the days, 367 to go, until I get back up there. No point to this post except hoping it gets me over my depression and looking at pictures of past trips. I think I need new friends. If anyone has ever wanted to bring their family to Powell, shoot me a note and maybe we'll meet you :)

We also missed our Shasta trip this year... I feel your pain. Good news is I am flying out Tuesday for a guys trip to Powell for four days, we are launching out of bullfrog. Just tent camping, no houseboat, it was pretty epic last year, some amazing places on that Lake.

Edited by Fman

Dude, just leave it in the slip and have an awesome time. You don't have to take the boat out. Plus you can explore Page a little and hit some land sites too.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that. Hate to tell ya but I'm heading up there in about 2 1/2 weeks. Been there several times in the past on a "guy" trip with the same group. Took a 10 year break and this is our reunion trip. Got 17 of us going this year. Rented a 60' houseboat and have several other smaller boats including a nice pontoon and we will be on the lake for a week. Leaving from Antelope Marina. Not sure why but my wife isn't talking to me right now, lol.

Damn friends anyway. We had planned on a St Lucia trip in November and every one of the other three couples have backed off. Anyone want to spend a week in St Lucia with Mr. and Mrs. Baddog?

Always wanted to do Powell. Buddy of mine does every year. And every year then get a crazy storm that comes through for a few hours, but the rest is awesome he says

That can be said for pretty much every houseboat trip I've been on. Makes for some great stories after the stress passes.

Well, my favorite week of the year is officially up in smoke. We go to Powell every year on a beautiful 75' houseboat, bring the Bu, rent some jet-skis, you know the deal. We were supposed to leave this Sunday for the week. Well, the family who was to join us this year backed out 2 weeks ago with a work conflict. My family does not want to go solo as Powell is always a little work (managing all the toys, digging anchors, etc.) along with all the fun. Thus, we are punting to next year and leaving her sit at Antelope Point for the week.
So I am now counting the days, 367 to go, until I get back up there. No point to this post except hoping it gets me over my depression and looking at pictures of past trips. I think I need new friends. If anyone has ever wanted to bring their family to Powell, shoot me a note and maybe we'll meet you :)

Looks like gunsight...am I right?

For sure stay in the slip. I went with just the kids and wife a few weeks ago, and had a great time. I for sure love camping better, but it was still an awesome time, with less work.

I know meeting people from the interwebs can be a scary proposition...I tell my kids never to do it. But I have met a lot of great people from the websites I visit. I think you could weed someone out pretty well with a 45 minute phone call. Just make clear what your expectations are, and how you usually run things. In my case, I would advertise it as a family time: no drinking, smoking, cursing, twerking, or making fun of my 1980's music blasting behind the boat at 120 db. Bring your share of food, and then some, and expect to do your share of cleaning/cooking etc. Some folks wouldn't even ask to come thinking I just ruled out most of the fun.

Edited by TallRedRider

Houseboating at Powell is on my bucketlist too. Probably going to have to wait until #2 is in college so I have September free. KD too bad you couldn't convince the family just to go and stay in one place for the week, or if splitting $$ was a factor can understand that killing the plan.

Eidt - at least I have my Kuhmo 857's now to make the trip (to Bullfrog):

1149.7 mi, 16 hr 41 min driving

16 hr 41 min with traffic

Edit - this sort of stuf is cool:

http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/8000/8132/powell_ast_2000142.jpg

Question for Lake Powell regulars, I have seen comments that lake level low just makes for different beaches exposed/different experience it's all good. The flip side though is higher water provides much deeper canyon experiences and channels to explore. Understanding that in my lifetime the lake may never be at pre-2000 levels (or, it could in a few years) any suggested water levels that really diminesh the Lake Powell experience? I know that right now the channel from Waheep can get high and dry (bing maps shows it filled, google earth shows a high and dry channel, haven't checked lake level). TIA

From Wikipedia - this is why I am not sure I will ever see anything close to full pool at Lake Powell:

Specifically, the amount of water allocated was based on an expectation that the river's average flow was 16,400,000 acre feet (20.2 km3) per year (641 m³/s). Subsequent tree ring studies, however, have concluded that the long-term average water flow of the Colorado is significantly less. Estimates have included 13,200,000 acre feet (16.3 km3) per year (516 m³/s),[10] 13,500,000 acre feet (16.7 km3) per year (528 m3/s),[11] and 14,300,000 acre feet (17.6 km3) per year (559 m3/s).[12] Many analysts have concluded that when the compact was negotiated, the period used as the basis for "average" flow of the river (1905–1922) included periods of abnormally high rainfall,[13] and that the recent drought in the region is in fact a return to historically typical patterns. The decrease in rainfall has led to widespread dropping of reservoir levels in the region, in particular at Lake Powell, created by the Glen Canyon Dam in 1963, where the exposure of long-inundated canyons has prompted calls for the deliberate permanent extinction of the reservoir.

Edited by MalibuTime

We missed out on our Norris trip this year. :(

When we normally would schedule it the wife had work stuff going on (that has since been pushed back). There is also a potential wedding date for a friend that we want to go to that I needed to reserve the last of my vacation for as it is out of state. Too bad as we really love our Norris trip.

Houseboating at Powell is on my bucketlist too. Probably going to have to wait until #2 is in college so I have September free. KD too bad you couldn't convince the family just to go and stay in one place for the week, or if splitting $$ was a factor can understand that killing the plan.

Eidt - at least I have my Kuhmo 857's now to make the trip (to Bullfrog):

1149.7 mi, 16 hr 41 min driving

16 hr 41 min with traffic

Edit - this sort of stuf is cool:

http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/8000/8132/powell_ast_2000142.jpg

Question for Lake Powell regulars, I have seen comments that lake level low just makes for different beaches exposed/different experience it's all good. The flip side though is higher water provides much deeper canyon experiences and channels to explore. Understanding that in my lifetime the lake may never be at pre-2000 levels (or, it could in a few years) any suggested water levels that really diminesh the Lake Powell experience? I know that right now the channel from Waheep can get high and dry (bing maps shows it filled, google earth shows a high and dry channel, haven't checked lake level). TIA

From Wikipedia - this is why I am not sure I will ever see anything close to full pool at Lake Powell:

Specifically, the amount of water allocated was based on an expectation that the river's average flow was 16,400,000 acre feet (20.2 km3) per year (641 m³/s). Subsequent tree ring studies, however, have concluded that the long-term average water flow of the Colorado is significantly less. Estimates have included 13,200,000 acre feet (16.3 km3) per year (516 m³/s),[10] 13,500,000 acre feet (16.7 km3) per year (528 m3/s),[11] and 14,300,000 acre feet (17.6 km3) per year (559 m3/s).[12] Many analysts have concluded that when the compact was negotiated, the period used as the basis for "average" flow of the river (1905–1922) included periods of abnormally high rainfall,[13] and that the recent drought in the region is in fact a return to historically typical patterns. The decrease in rainfall has led to widespread dropping of reservoir levels in the region, in particular at Lake Powell, created by the Glen Canyon Dam in 1963, where the exposure of long-inundated canyons has prompted calls for the deliberate permanent extinction of the reservoir.

And in addition, my city, 150 miles away, wants to build a pipeline here at the cost of 1 Billion dollars so that Utah is sure to get all of our allocated share of the overallocated river. I am against the project, but sometimes the saying is that 'you can't fight city hall'. The powers that be have already spent millions of dollars in study and planning. If you are bored, search for Lake Powell Pipeline and I'm sure some stuff will come up.

But the point being, the lake is threatened. The enviros want to drain it altogether, so that practically nobody can see it, returning it to its 'natural state'. One element of truth is that the sandstone absorbs a lot of water, so a good portion is lost to groundwater in a largely unpopulated area. Lake Mead is a more efficient reservior in that sense, so it does make sense to raise Mead first.

Tall - Yep, that is Gunsight, you have an excellent eye.

Thanks for the votes to stay in the marina, we considered that, but I was not sure how much fun we would have. Good to know that people have enjoyed that as an option.

I have been to Powell 14 years ago when it was high, and I went last year when it was so low that there hardly any launches open. While I think we all pray for more water, it certainly did not diminish from the fun we had on the trip and I would not let it stop you from going one bit. As mentioned above, the lake is up a bit this year and I am hoping for a snowy winter this year.

No family here, but would love to go sometime!

I heard it's 15' up from this time last year. It's going to be interesting to see what the difference is visually, and what camping sites we can locate. Last year the lake was pretty empty, seems like a good time to go right after Labor day weekend.

Been once this year on the house boat and trying the home rental in Page next week. But if it makes you feel any better our temperatures here just spiked higher than they have been recently and my boat is trapped in the garage behind newly poured concrete so none for me this weekend.