Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter LXi bogging

I have a 2002 Sunsetter LXi and it boggs when excelerating from a standstill but hold speed once going. Put seafoam in and tried Heat. Not sure if it is bad fuel (water), fuel pump, etc. Also seems to bogg when turning sharp. Maybe the gas is sloshing to one side and not getting enough to the engine in this case ? The boat is not used that much and has only 135hrs. on it. Anyone else have this issue ? Thanks for your input !

The gas tank has a section that is lower where the pick up is so sloshing fuel shouln't be the problem. The first thing I would do is replace the inline fuel filter which is located just as the fuel line leaves the gas tank. removing the rear panel of the ski locker will give you access to it. Then I would remove the inlet hose to the fuel pump and check to make sure the screen is clean. When mine bogged down I found the screen was partially blocked as seen in this post http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46045-fuel-pump-screen-cleaning-on-monsoon/?hl=%2Bfuel+%2Bpump+%2Bscreen

Also have you been purchasing fuel from somewhere that has a good turnover to rule out bad fuel. I might be worht adding some fuel conditioner as well but do things one at a time so you know which one worked.

The gas tank has a section that is lower where the pick up is so sloshing fuel shouln't be the problem. The first thing I would do is replace the inline fuel filter which is located just as the fuel line leaves the gas tank. removing the rear panel of the ski locker will give you access to it. Then I would remove the inlet hose to the fuel pump and check to make sure the screen is clean. When mine bogged down I found the screen was partially blocked as seen in this post http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46045-fuel-pump-screen-cleaning-on-monsoon/?hl=%2Bfuel+%2Bpump+%2Bscreen

Also have you been purchasing fuel from somewhere that has a good turnover to rule out bad fuel. I might be worht adding some fuel conditioner as well but do things one at a time so you know which one worked.

+1

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will try cleaning the screen this weekend. I think my fuel problem was a good test ; ) I will learn to navigate the forum as time goes on.

Maybe an obvious suggestion, but did you notice the engine temp when it was bogging? If your impeller crapped out, or the cooling fins have become plugged; a hot engine also has a tendency to feel "boggish".

I would bet money your injectors are dirty/clogged. Same thing happened to me. I threw a bunch of money at fuel related parts to no avail. Got the injectors cleaned and was right back up to 5K RPM at WOT.

As far as injector cleaning goes is it best to pull them off and send them to professional to clean, rig up a 12v supply to activate the injector and bench clean with injector cleaner solvent or will a fuel additive to the job?

Well, if you are like me and know just enough about these things to be dangerous to yourself and some very expensive injectors, I'd send them out for a proper ultrasonic cleaning. When I did it, I think it was only about $25 per injector to be cleaned, and that included new O-rings. This assumes, of course, that you are handy enough with a wrench to get the injectors out in one piece.

I thought about trying to clean them myself, but the risk of hosing just one of them up was not worth it to me....

Check for vacuum leaks. Make sure everything on the intake system is tight. Also, 135 hrs on a 13 year old boat, bad (stale) gas would be another guess.

I have a 2002 Sunsetter LXi and it boggs when excelerating from a standstill but hold speed once going. Put seafoam in and tried Heat. Not sure if it is bad fuel (water), fuel pump, etc. Also seems to bogg when turning sharp. Maybe the gas is sloshing to one side and not getting enough to the engine in this case ? The boat is not used that much and has only 135hrs. on it. Anyone else have this issue ? Thanks for your input !

I had a similar problem, turned out to be the throttle position sensor.

Well, if you are like me and know just enough about these things to be dangerous to yourself and some very expensive injectors, I'd send them out for a proper ultrasonic cleaning. When I did it, I think it was only about $25 per injector to be cleaned, and that included new O-rings. This assumes, of course, that you are handy enough with a wrench to get the injectors out in one piece.

I thought about trying to clean them myself, but the risk of hosing just one of them up was not worth it to me....

Where did you send them for cleaning?

Change all fuel filters ( my 2000 ssLxi has 2 ) and clean the screen on the bottom of the fuel pump as recommended in the earlier response. The clogged fuel pump screen was the culprit of my problem a few years back.