Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge install 2000 wakesetter vlx

joshuadale07

I have searched the forums and got some good info but still wanted a little more reassurance. I have a manual wedge I'm gonna install tonight. I am going to use 3m 4200 to seal. I wanted to confirm that the transom is going to support a manual wedge on this model. Also, any more advice on finding true center and level would be appreciated or any other advice. I don't have a problem doing this as it seems like a simple install but wanted to make sure I know what to do before I tackle this project. Thanks

No advice except take a look to see where your drill will be coming threw on the transom to make sure you don't hit anything and I have a 2001 VLX with the manual wedge on it so there should not be any difference. Measure 101 times, and drill once lol!

Ya that was my plan seems simple enough. Also, I'm buying new bolts what are the best to get? Grade 8? Do they make them in stainless? Just want to do it right

I am going to install one in the next few weeks and the plan is to find as many sharp coners to referenece against and use a chalk line to mark. Then mock up the position with the wedge down and check the foil is parallel with the bottom of the hull.

I will measure 115 times, put masking tape over the holes then run the drill in reverse till I get thought the gel coat then run forward to finish off, countersinking both sides of the holes to stop any cracking (don't like drilling holes in the boat)

Edited by brad72
  • Like 1

Don't over think it as it's very simple. I think it took less than an hour even going slow on my 1998? Measure & mark you will be good to go...............

No the water is not that blue my buddy is a photographer and edited it. I gotta travel 3-5 hrs for a good lake. Closest lake is about 2 hrs. Thanks for all your help, but I'm postponing the project. The guy I was getting the wedge from sank his sportster a month ago and said I could have it but I went to get it and it was bent. He said they bent it when flipping the boat back over I guess. Bummer because I thought I was getting a free wedge! :(

No the water is not that blue my buddy is a photographer and edited it. I gotta travel 3-5 hrs for a good lake. Closest lake is about 2 hrs. Thanks for all your help, but I'm postponing the project. The guy I was getting the wedge from sank his sportster a month ago and said I could have it but I went to get it and it was bent. He said they bent it when flipping the boat back over I guess. Bummer because I thought I was getting a free wedge! :(

That's a bummer but not hard to bend back, or you could make yourself a floater :biggrin:

Edited by brad72

The safest way to drill holes in a boat is to buy some Magnets from Amazon / Home Depot / Whatever and put one on each side of the surface you are drilling through.

I had to drill 2 x 1" holes for water intakes for ballast and wouldn't have had such great results without the magnets!!

The safest way to drill holes in a boat is to buy some Magnets from Amazon / Home Depot / Whatever and put one on each side of the surface you are drilling through.

I had to drill 2 x 1" holes for water intakes for ballast and wouldn't have had such great results without the magnets!!

Whats the benefits of the magnets? What do they do?

Ya that was my plan seems simple enough. Also, I'm buying new bolts what are the best to get? Grade 8? Do they make them in stainless? Just want to do it right

Yes, stainless bolts, washers and brass lock nuts (Or make sure you use anti-seize on thread if using stainless bolt with stainless nut or it will gall). Mcmaster-carr.com (sp?) or good hardware store.

Whats the benefits of the magnets? What do they do?

I was thinking the same thing and wonder if it was one of those jokes like sending an apprentice to get a long wait or left handed screwdriver :)

I was thinking the same thing and wonder if it was one of those jokes like sending an apprentice to get a long wait or left handed screwdriver :)

How else can you see where you are drilling in the hull. One on the inside and one on outside of hull. Put them where you think you want to drill, then check to see if any interference on the other side.

Believe it or not, this method is not a joke lol!

How else can you see where you are drilling in the hull. One on the inside and one on outside of hull. Put them where you think you want to drill, then check to see if any interference on the other side.

Believe it or not, this method is not a joke lol!

Makes sense. Had to be cautious it wasn't some American joke to rope in the Aussies on the site lol

Edited by brad72

Makes sense. Had to be cautious it wasn't some American joke to rope in the Aussies on the site lol

Well, I always put a a few crickets on the swim platform. They'll walk around and eventually stand directly over the stringers and start chirping. It's kind of amazing to watch them at work.