Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake vs. Wake Plus hull - difference?

OneCent

The million dollar question, I would bet it's same hull extended 4"... It's really difficult to find out, Malibu really never explains how they change the hulls. It would be very interesting to get a 14 and 15 vlx side by side and look at the hulls from all different angles. This would also be interesting to do for a 13 and 14 lsv.

• Like 1

Deeper V is not great for wakeboarding and keeping a cleaner wake, better for surfing. Hopefully they left it alone, the 14 vlx hull is pretty user friendly for all disciplines.

What is the length of a T22? Same as new vlx 21' 10"?

There are other manufacturers out there that do a good job of actually explaining what they did to change the hull designs. Having someone physically touching areas of the hull explaining the differences from prior years. Have yet to see this from Malibu other than a name change.

True. The wake does look better from a 2013 lsv to a 14. However could just be the weight difference?

This is also another debate, I have not surfed behind either so I can only comment on videos which imo are difficult to tell any significant difference. Plus, the boats would need to be setup identically in ballast weight, passengers, prop, engine, etc.. to get a true apple to apple fair comparison.

• Like 1

There are other manufacturers out there that do a good job of actually explaining what they did to change the hull designs. Having someone physically touching areas of the hull explaining the differences from prior years. Have yet to see this from Malibu other than a name change.

I don't recall ever seeing another manufacturer go over hull changes in detail, but I'm sure you're right. Can you link a video? It sure would be nice to see it. I hope it's not like the videos that explain how wakeboard shapes change from year to year... they all sound the same! Every board promises more pop and softer landings. LOL.

Personally, I don't buy the deeper V theory. And I don't buy that it's a new running surface either, other than the obvious length change.

We still can't answer if the LSV running surface changed from '13 to '14, and it's been a year since launch. I suspect we'll never have a definitive answer.

If it is in fact the T22 hull, that wasn't evident on my demo. And Malibu would probably never admit that either.

• Like 1

I don't recall ever seeing another manufacturer go over hull changes in detail, but I'm sure you're right. Can you link a video? It sure would be nice to see it. I hope it's not like the videos that explain how wakeboard shapes change from year to year... they all sound the same! Every board promises more pop and softer landings. LOL.

Personally, I don't buy the deeper V theory. And I don't buy that it's a new running surface either, other than the obvious length change.

We still can't answer if the LSV running surface changed from '13 to '14, and it's been a year since launch. I suspect we'll never have a definitive answer.

If it is in fact the T22 hull, that wasn't evident on my demo. And Malibu would probably never admit that either.

I recall Mastercraft doing a video on the new Xstar hull and how they changed it explained by Zaine (sp?), I would have to go back and see if I can dig up the video. I also recall Tige' doing one on the Convex V hull and how it changes the wakes. This might be all fluff, a CAD drawing would be the only true way to see if the hull was actually changed. The new VLX does weigh significantly more than the '14 (600 lbs?), which seems like it would only help the surf and wakeboard wakes.

when i remember right, in the beginning of the Wake boats correct craft did show they're changes to the hull in the brochures.

For me, the technical details are more important then a new color or steering wheel. On Malibus webpage you can't find how big the internal ballast is - and what you can plugin with PnP? That lets me thinking a little big what they're priority is... so i don't expect to get technical information from Malibu's Webpage - thats why i'm reading here ;-)

On the Malibu web site it said this about the "fully redesigned for 2014" LSV:

"This all-new boat starts with an innovative hull design that will boost your wakeboarding and wakesurfing experience, while the running surface remains unchanged."

So if the running surface remains unchanged, I assume all the changes were above the waterline (freeboard, etc.)?

On the Malibu web site it said this about the "fully redesigned for 2014" LSV:

"This all-new boat starts with an innovative hull design that will boost your wakeboarding and wakesurfing experience, while the running surface remains unchanged."

So if the running surface remains unchanged, I assume all the changes were above the waterline (freeboard, etc.)?

Nice find!!

If you find a similar statement about the new VLX we can close this thread down!

If I remember right for the 2014 23 LSV, they said that the chines were slightly more rounded so that they generated a little less lift compared with the old hull. This allowed the boat to ride a bit lower in the water at wakeboard speeds making a slightly beefier wake.

I don't remember if that was told to me by one of the Malibu guys at the boat show or if I read it from somebody in the know like Chatt. I also don't have any proof to back it up either way, so just throwing it out for discussion to see if anybody has heard the same. Regardless if anything it sounded like it was a very minor change to some small details on the hull, rather than a significantly different design/shape of the running surface altogether, which is just fine by me. :)

Edited by Brett B

Hull design (running surface portion) has become a mature field. Improvements moving forward will likely be modest and very incremental. I'd bet the only real change to the hulls was size and position of aesthetic alcoves on the side for gel coat colors, visual integration with the larger surf gates, new LED lights, etc.

Edited by Cory