Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Problem With Error Code Spn:4238 Fuel Trim Short

I have a 2011 Mailbu 23 LSV with the 350 Monsoon in it. Recently I started getting the service required red message especially when idling which once it gets to temp it rough idles and it seems like when we are surfing there is more white exhaust then usual however the boat seems to be running fun out of idle.

I have spoke to both the local dealer and indmar which neither could find the error code which seem surprising but does anyone have any thoughts on what to check as I am stumped?

error message that is I see in the maliview:

SPN:4238 FMI:0 028FuelTrimShort DATA VALID BUT ABOVE NORMAL RANGE

thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

-krider

I did look at the post and also pm the originator to see what the resolution was as the post didn't seem to say which is why I posted as well.

Have switched out the plugs, cap and rotor but was holding out on further parts like the o2 sensors until I had better direction. My only other option is to bring it into the dealer to have them do further diagnostics but was hoping not to lose my boat for the labor day weekend if possible as they are backed up until next week.

-krider.

You're going to need a fuel pressure gauge to attach to the fuel rail.

Check the pressure with the key on, then engine running, then at various RPM's. Easier with a helper to work the throttle. Just be careful that the gauge is on the rail tight and doesn't leak. Let the engine cool down before pulling the gauge back off since you'll get a little fuel leakage.

Probably a stupid question but what is the fuel rail and where is it located as I am guessing I can rent a gauge from the local parts store but just need to know where to hook up?

Thanks,

krider

Probably a stupid question but what is the fuel rail and where is it located as I am guessing I can rent a gauge from the local parts store but just need to know where to hook up?

Thanks,

krider

OK, I answered your question in the other thread that you didn't really need to start since you had this one. However, based on this last post of yours, you either need to do some basic searching about engine components, or bring it in. No offense intended, but you may not be ready to take on this type of problem yourself.

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

any news on this topic? How did you solve the problem? I have a 2016  23 LSV with 410 Raptor motor and the same issue. The alarm pops up every 2 - 3 minutes. The alarm that shows up is: O2BFuelTrimShort Data valid but above normal, SPN:4238 FMI:0. My dealer wants to change the complete motor wiring to solve the problem ... 

please advise,

thanks, bye.

Chris

I just had "Oxygen B Fuel Trim High(Short-Term, Bank 1) SPN:4238 FMI:0" on my 2017 VLX21 with the 410. I had it serviced with the 10-20 hour service and the dealer changed an O2 sensor, which fixed it. 

The verbiage isn't the same as yours, but it's the same SPN if that counts for anything. 

2 hours ago, chrisVLX said:

Hi there,

any news on this topic? How did you solve the problem? I have a 2016  23 LSV with 410 Raptor motor and the same issue. The alarm pops up every 2 - 3 minutes. The alarm that shows up is: O2BFuelTrimShort Data valid but above normal, SPN:4238 FMI:0. My dealer wants to change the complete motor wiring to solve the problem ... 

please advise,

thanks, bye.

Chris

The problem you are having is not electrical.  The Driver side O2 sensor is seeing too much air in the exhaust and is telling the ECM to add fuel to correct for the extra air.  9 times out of 10, if you tighten the V Band clamps on the exhaust (where cast Iron manifold meets the welded Stainless steel hot section), the air leak into the exhaust will be closed off and the code will not continue after being cleared.  In some cases, the gasket is damaged there and should be replaced to correct this problem.  So, tell your dealer this info.  If they contact Indmar Customer service, they should be told this same instruction to correct the issue.  

So I tried to fix the problem with the clamps but it didn't help. I try now to get two new sensors and two new gaskets from my dealer.

On 6/19/2017 at 4:45 AM, chrisVLX said:

Hi there,

please advise,

thanks, bye.

Chris

I had this exact same problem with my 2016 LSV with the raptor 450. I called Indmar tech support and the tech asked me several questions to determine that much of my usage was at low RPM (engine break in) or idle in the large no wake zone I have to travel through. He said that carbon monoxide builds up in the exhaust manifold causing the sensors to read higher than normal carbon amounts and sets off this alarm. He said to run it hard (I said gladly), and since I tried that, the alarm went inactive and hasn't come back. This seemed to force the carbon monoxide that was built up in the manifold out into the ozone and not in your manifold! ? Try this first! 

Edited by LS1boarder
On 25.6.2017 at 2:00 PM, LS1boarder said:

I had this exact same problem with my 2016 LSV with the raptor 450. I called Indmar tech support and the tech asked me several questions to determine that much of my usage was at low RPM (engine break in) or idle in the large no wake zone I have to travel through. He said that carbon monoxide builds up in the exhaust manifold causing the sensors to read higher than normal carbon amounts and sets off this alarm. He said to run it hard (I said gladly), and since I tried that, the alarm went inactive and hasn't come back. This seemed to force the carbon monoxide that was built up in the manifold out into the ozone and not in your manifold! ? Try this first! 

Hi and thank you for your post.

My malibu-dealer told me similar things, when I run it hard, the alarm is inactive. But it comes back all the time. The alarm is popping up at 2 mph and surf speed and also at wakespeed. Just full throttle is ok.

I also recognized that the sensors on the driver side are all black with soost. The other side is clean.

I just don't know what to do next. I wait for answer from my malibu dealer ... again.

Chris.

hi,

today the boat is going back to the dealer for ac complete exhaust change. But I am not sure if its going to fix the problem. I think as the starboard side spark plugs and the sensors in the exhaust are black that maybe on the intake side of the cylinders is something wrong.

I will keep you informed when the boat is back.

On 3.7.2017 at 6:37 PM, LS1boarder said:

Any word? Mine came up again yesterday even after I ran it hard. 

my dealer called me and told me that the exhaust has some water in it - also in the cat-system and in the headers. so the complete exhaust system has to be changed.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:28 AM, chrisVLX said:

my dealer called me and told me that the exhaust has some water in it - also in the cat-system and in the headers. so the complete exhaust system has to be changed.

The exhaust has some water in it?  Sounds normal considering that is where the water is supposed to come out unless those Raptor engines are not like normal marine engines

Edited by oldjeep
On 10.7.2017 at 3:16 PM, jonesee said:

SAME CODE HERE ON 2017 6.2 RAPTOR.  THAT ALARM BEEPING EVERY 2 MINUTES IS ABOUT TO DRIVE ME CRAZY.....

short update: the dealer has changed the whole parts of the exhaust and manifolds on boths sides - alarm is gone since then - thank God ... I dont know if there were done also any software updates ...

• 11 months later...
On 6/19/2017 at 6:19 AM, EricZ28 said:

I just had "Oxygen B Fuel Trim High(Short-Term, Bank 1) SPN:4238 FMI:0" on my 2017 VLX21 with the 410. I had it serviced with the 10-20 hour service and the dealer changed an O2 sensor, which fixed it. 

The verbiage isn't the same as yours, but it's the same SPN if that counts for anything. 

How many hours were on it when you first got your alarm?  

How many hours since your o2 sensor was replaced? Has the code reappeared?

18 hours ago, Lees23 said:

How many hours were on it when you first got your alarm?  

How many hours since your o2 sensor was replaced? Has the code reappeared?

I believe it started around 6ish hours? It went away after the above service and has not been back since. We're around 90 hours currently.