Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What mirror

Mr. Pink

Love my tower mounted PTM. Only negative I could think of is sometimes I hit my head on it, but that is really nitpicking. The tower mount is really nice as well. I really like that it gets it off the windshield.

Love my tower mounted PTM. Only negative I could think of is sometimes I hit my head on it, but that is really nitpicking. The tower mount is really nice as well. I really like that it gets it off the windshield.

hitting the noggin was what i was thinking as well. I'm 6'4 so that was my concern

Im 6'0" so that would be a problem for you as well. I don't do it very often, though. It's really in odd situations that it happens. I hit my head on the speakers far more often if that makes you more comfortable.

There are tons of threads on this topic already. Lots of pictures in this one:

I have the PTM on a Titan II & it sits ahead of the windshield so there is no chance of hitting my head on it. Has a great view & is rock solid. Only con I can think of is the price..... kinda steep. Cipa came out with a new convex mirror that is like 1/2 the cost. I haven't seen one to compare it but would give it a shot.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I opted for the tower mount and ended up buyinga PTM windshield mount halfway through the summer. The tower mount always came lose in rougher water or when hitting double ups. The plastic arm to tighten it WILL end up breaking. People end up hitting their head on it as well. Save yourself the hassle and go for at windshield mount.

My issue with the tower mount is the blind spots created by the speakers. Those that have had both types of mount, is it any better with the windshield mount?<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I opted for the tower mount and ended up buyinga PTM windshield mount halfway through the summer. The tower mount always came lose in rougher water or when hitting double ups. The plastic arm to tighten it WILL end up breaking. People end up hitting their head on it as well. Save yourself the hassle and go for at windshield mount.

The new tower mounts come with a metal arm to tighten the mount. I have tightened mine once this summer and never had to mess with it since. I think they have a locking washer in them as well to keep them tight.

My issue with the tower mount is the blind spots created by the speakers. Those that have had both types of mount, is it any better with the windshield mount?<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happens with both mounts.

Guys.... Suggest you look/compare a PTM and other brands side by side. Not talking the design or quality, solid there.... I am talking optics.

I thought I wanted a PTM... Till I used one back to back with other brands. PTM optics make the rear reflection smaller.... Noticeably. I have 20/15 vision, and it made the rear view noticeably smaller... You will lose details using that mirror. There are variables as or more important that design, construction and solid mounting.yes is looks amazing coming out of box. Try to demo them side by side on the water.

This will probably send this thread down in flames because folks on here drank a beer with the PTM owner at a boat show or married his cousin or something.... But do like I said. Compare them side by side and you'll see it's not even up for discussion.

Not promoting another brand, I could care less what you buy, just ensure you are happy with the optics on PTM before you purchase. It's one of those objects reflection are closer than they appear situations IMO.

Guys.... Suggest you look/compare a PTM and other brands side by side. Not talking the design or quality, solid there.... I am talking optics.

I thought I wanted a PTM... Till I used one back to back with other brands. PTM optics make the rear reflection smaller.... Noticeably. I have 20/15 vision, and it made the rear view noticeably smaller... You will lose details using that mirror. There are variables as or more important that design, construction and solid mounting.yes is looks amazing coming out of box. Try to demo them side by side on the water.

This will probably send this thread down in flames because folks on here drank a beer with the PTM owner at a boat show or married his cousin or something.... But do like I said. Compare them side by side and you'll see it's not even up for discussion.

Not promoting another brand, I could care less what you buy, just ensure you are happy with the optics on PTM before you purchase. It's one of those objects reflection are closer than they appear situations IMO.

But now I want to know what brand you like...

I have the PTM. Didn't compare it to others, but very pleased with the performance. It is a concave mirror and will throw off distance and sizing. The optics are pretty clean, imho, much better than the mirror that came with the boat. As for mounting, can't help you. I have a T2 as someone else mentioned and mounting to the front leg of the tower is very convenient with minimal vibration.

• Like 1

There are tons of threads on this topic already. Lots of pictures in this one:

I have the PTM on a Titan II & it sits ahead of the windshield so there is no chance of hitting my head on it. Has a great view & is rock solid. Only con I can think of is the price..... kinda steep. Cipa came out with a new concave mirror that is like 1/2 the cost. I haven't seen one to compare it but would give it a shot.

I have the PTM. Didn't compare it to others, but very pleased with the performance. It is a concave mirror and will throw off distance and sizing. The optics are pretty clean, imho, much better than the mirror that came with the boat. As for mounting, can't help you. I have a T2 as someone else mentioned and mounting to the front leg of the tower is very convenient with minimal vibration.

I let it go the first time but twice in one thread is starting to bother me... i believe you guys mean convex :whistle:

• Like 2

The PTM optics/glass quality are actually very good. But yeah, put 180* mirror the same size as a 90* mirror, and obviously the image in the mirror will be smaller.

What mirror do you prefer on the 2014 23 lsv. What are the pros and cons of each?

Whats the boat for? Surfing, old school Cipa is fine because the surfer never out of field. Anything else, ie wakeboarding, skiing, tubing, air chair, bird watching, barefooting, freeboarding, ladder riding, wakeskating, family pictures etc, PTM is boss due to the wider field.

The PTM optics/glass quality are actually very good. But yeah, put 180* mirror the same size as a 90* mirror, and obviously the image in the mirror will be smaller.

Yep. If you are pulling the BoneCrusher Malinoski and he is landing double ups 30ft out info the flats on turn arounds..the PTM wth a 180+ field of view miiiiiight be a better choice. Yet, I would tell you I could still see those landings in mine.

What I am getting at is, its akin to using a 10x rifle scope zoomed out when 1-2x is plenty. You lose a lot by going out that wide. Also its fatiguing over time trying to read 2-3 font.... when 18 font is available. Exaggerating to make the point, but driving a wakeboat for 2hrs... this is the reality of what is happening and ther ergonomics makes a difference.

This is fresh with me right now, never would have known the difference before a month ago, especially with how well they are built.... recently driving 3 new Cenurions, Axis, Malibu and other Nautiques all with PTMs. I had considered buying one because their styling and construction is the best out there...but the function isnt for me.

what I am getting at is ensure the optics on the PTMs are really what you want. I would tell OP they go out way too wide for most folks' use, and using them back to back with others... much more pleasant choices out there, especially with how I and my buddies use our boats. Different perspective for the OP.

Edited by nyryan2001