Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dripless shaft leak... I think

ChainSetter

It's been a week of boat problems for me. I need a little help on this one. The boat is a 07 23 LSV 340 monsoon. There is a steady stream of water coming in from the drive shaft about 2 inches before it goes into the V drive. I found a million threads on here about packing nuts but not much for my boat. You can't see any packing nut there is white piece of plastic, a blue cap on that, and a red piece of hose around the shaft with two hose clamps on it (they were tight). There is a line coming off the oil cooler that seems to feed this assembly around the drive shaft with a steady flow of water. That line goes into the white piece the water is pouring out through the front of that set up between the blue plastic cap and the Vdrive, I can't find any nut to tighten or really see much in there. If I loosen the hose clamps I can slide that assembly about an inch but still can't see anything to work with. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Chain, here's a couple of links to some info on the seal you have. It is likely that the vesconite seal housing has worn, possibly in part due to excessive preload on the seal due to alignment issues resulting from the positioning of the attachment hose. Ideally, the housing would be exactly centred about the shaft so that there is no loading on it when installed. If there is significant radial load or it is trying to sit askew, then the wear rate will be accelerated.

If you remove the seal, the wear pattern may be self explanatory. Would also need to check for shaft wear or other damage.

I have an OJ dripless kit ready to install on my boat to replace the original packing seal but have not had any other actual experience with them yet...

https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2182

http://ojprop.addr.com/products/shaft_seals

Regards, Stephen.

does anyone have any info on the install for this? I can't see how you get it on without pulling the whole shaft? It says 5 min install