Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Floating Wedge

brad72

Hey brad I'm loving watching this come together. Just wondering when you get time you might be able to forward me your cad file. Thanks bud

Should be in your inbox shortly. Though I had already sent the files sorry.

Ok, so here is a picture of the re-polished foil. Pretty much like a mirror now with my favourite beer being reflected...mmmm beer. Still need to add the satin grain to the chamfered area though.

photo_zps13532610.jpg

Also started shaping the 2 arms this afternoon. Started by painting them with layout ink then scribed lines on all 4 sides to give me something to grind up to and keep it even. The grinding was done with 3M Cubitron flap wheels. It's the first time I have used them and have to say they are really awesome. They actually cut the material producing swarf so the part does not heat up much and discolor like regular abrasive do. The also remove material really fast which is even better. Plan is to leave the bottom where the weld will be a little fuller to give a better size weld to the foil, but will see what it looks like when shaping is done

photo1_zps99d9a8eb.jpg

photo2_zpseb3b7816.jpg

Edited by brad72

Brad -

I'm not sure why, but I was expecting you to mill (or bandsaw) the majority of that away and then finish it with the grinder. Making a jig to hold the arms correctly would be much more fun than just getting done.

It sounds like you got plenty of cut action out of the flapper. That's impressive for a flapper, in fact.

Brad -

I'm not sure why, but I was expecting you to mill (or bandsaw) the majority of that away and then finish it with the grinder. Making a jig to hold the arms correctly would be much more fun than just getting done.

It sounds like you got plenty of cut action out of the flapper. That's impressive for a flapper, in fact.

I was going to mill the arms until I took the first pass with the cubitron flap disc and was amazed how much material was removed and how little time is took to do all 4 sides. I hear you though about the fun of making jigs etc.

Spending my day tuning some automation gear at work so no time for Brad .

Edited by brad72
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Work projects are getting in the way of any more progress. Have got the wedge sitting next to my tool box ready to weld but, just need to find time. Maybe I should sneak it in today since I am doing 12 hour days

• Like 1

Only working 11 1/2 hours today and feeling a bit slack I welded the slide pin barrel to the arms and tacked the arms to the foil ready for final adjustments to the angle and fully welding tomorrow.

wedge_zps73cf281b.jpg

Edited by brad72
  • 1 month later...

Brad, any updates since october 24?

Or did you go back to the drawing board now there is a new wedge design

Figured with the Xmas break almost upon us, you would be almost in the trial stages.

Either way, I am sure you will be satisfied with the end results to use this season

Brad, any updates since october 24?

Or did you go back to the drawing board now there is a new wedge design

Figured with the Xmas break almost upon us, you would be almost in the trial stages.

Either way, I am sure you will be satisfied with the end results to use this season

All work and no play make Brad ...... :crazy: ..... :mad: Still sitting beside my toolbox at work waiting for the final welding. Need to pull my finger out and get it finished.

• 1 month later...

Hi Brad, any updates yet. Have you had a chance to do the install?

Same as the post above your unfortunately. I do need to get it finished though and drill those holes in my boat. Must add however my home tinkering project has been building a large volume delta 3D printer but I shouldn't let myself get sidetracked.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finished and fitted....yey. Don't know what I was worried about. Sat it in place, measured about 5 times, marked and drilled the holes then bolted it up. Came out really well and will be tested over Easter when we go camping at a nearby lake.

I did however have a hiccup with the sand blasted 'W'. After a 13 hour day at work I excitedly came home, put the stencil on the wedge, fired up the air compressor and sandblasted. It was not until I got inside to show my wife the awesomeness that I realized the "W" was actually and "M". An "M" for moron is what my wife said. So back out to the shed to grind off the M, which was well and truly etched in there, then through the wet and dry grits, 400, 800, 1200, 1500 and 2000 and buffed with the mop and cutting compound. Good as new.

Next job is to repair the left hand turn indicator.

DSC02210_zpspp0dfb2r.jpg

DSC02204_zpszskvftel.jpg

DSC02202_zpsyd1wcsea.jpg

Edited by brad72
  • Like 4

It was not until I got inside to show my wife the awesomeness that I realised the "W" was actually and "M". An "M" for moron is what my wife said.

:rofl: