Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine for 23 lsv

I have read many of the threads but opinion seems to sway with the year of the boat. Will I be ok with the 350 in the 2014 23 lsv 750 above sea level? This is more for a family boat. I mainly surf but will ocasionally wakeboard. The younger kids wakeboard and the t word. Every now and then there will be 1 or two others on the boat. I would like to fill the boat with the appropriate weight to get a great wave. Nothing extra on the seats or anything. It seems the 409 offers very little with my situation and I dont see paying for the others as I will not travel to other lakes with higher elevations. Also it seems in my area the majority come with the 350.

I think you will be fine in what you describe for your families activities. Prop selection will be important part of getting the most out of that motor. Negotiate what prop you want in the deal. Do your homework as to props as well. Lots of discussion on here.

Are you looking at boats in dealer inventory? If so, how much choice do you really have at this point

agree,

where are you located?

I didn't see slalom on that list , so top end speed you can compromise additional hole shot with a acme 2315

I can't give you a comparison as I have the 350 with a 1235 prop and it has done everything that I have wanted it to do. That is with stock MLS ballast with an 1100 in the surfside locker and a 750 on the surfside seat and max wedge with 2-3 peeps. I am running consistently @ 3100 rpm at 11.2 mph and 380ft ASL with that load. Since I built my own surf gate I do have a problem getting on plane running 2- 750 in the rear corners when surfing. I imagine running some weight up front to level it out might help getting on plane. Now that I have it dialed in with the new gate I am only running the stock MLS in the non surf side to get the best wave so now it is not an issue. Wake boarding with the 1235 is outstanding. If money is not an option or you are a surf snob :) spring for the bigger motor. If possible find a like boat ballast and bag it and see if it will work for you. Good luck. Bill

Are you looking at boats in dealer inventory? If so, how much choice do you really have at this point?

That is kind of the problem. I guess the real question is will I be ok with the 350 or is it a problem. There is a 22 MXZ with the 410 but I think I prefer the 23 lsv. Other option is to get boat from other dealers but will lose some of the savings and that is the major reason for getting the boat now

I have read many of the threads but opinion seems to sway with the year of the boat. Will I be ok with the 350 in the 2014 23 lsv 750 above sea level? This is more for a family boat. I mainly surf but will ocasionally wakeboard. The younger kids wakeboard and the t word. Every now and then there will be 1 or two others on the boat. I would like to fill the boat with the appropriate weight to get a great wave. Nothing extra on the seats or anything. It seems the 409 offers very little with my situation and I dont see paying for the others as I will not travel to other lakes with higher elevations. Also it seems in my area the majority come with the 350.

I know it's not apples to apples, but I had the 350 in my 23 XTI, and when we moved to the LSV we opted for the 409. I'll NEVER go back! I might go bigger but never smaller. First of all, it's quieter, smoother pull. I have plenty of HP to move some weight for surfing. To top it all off, I get better fuel economy. Now, I don't know how much of that is going from the 23' DD to a 23' V-Drive, but I'll say, It was absolutely worth it.

That is kind of the problem. I guess the real question is will I be ok with the 350 or is it a problem. There is a 22 MXZ with the 410 but I think I prefer the 23 lsv. Other option is to get boat from other dealers but will lose some of the savings and that is the major reason for getting the boat now

Drive them both loaded up for surfing, and make a decision. Have the dealer put 750's in the lockers and bring a bow sack, then bring your normal crew and see what you think. I would expect the boat to have the 2419 or 2315.

Drive them both loaded up for surfing, and make a decision. Have the dealer put 750's in the lockers and bring a bow sack, then bring your normal crew and see what you think. I would expect the boat to have the 2419 or 2315.

It has the 1235

It has the 1235

No question, with surf weight, you will want the 2419. I have the LS3 in mine and I have a repitched 1235 down to a 12.5" pitch. It will handle anything I throw at it, but I wouldn't want any less.

LS3 for the win! I have the ls3 and 2419 on my 2014 23lsv and love it. Handles any amount of weight. Was just surfing with 4400# of ballast and it had no problem. In all reality though it depends on what your needs are. If you are ok with propping down the 350 it should be able to handle surfing but may be limited to 35mph top speed. My top speed is 40 with my setup.

350 w/ 2315 pushes my 14 LSV with no problem and is highly effecient. Only time you would need the extra muscle is if you had 13+ ppl in the boat... but then you certainly pay for it with fuel mileage.

Do it...

350 w/ 2315 pushes my 14 LSV with no problem and is highly effecient. Only time you would need the extra muscle is if you had 13+ ppl in the boat... but then you certainly pay for it with fuel mileage.

Do it...

So would the 2315 be better than the 1235 or about the same.

So would the 2315 be better than the 1235 or about the same.

2315 is significantly better for the LSV, especially considering the 350 you're looking at. I wouldn't waste your time with the 1235. Don't even take the boat home with that prop on it.

Matter of fact... a 2419 would be even better!

Do it...

Yep, what he said.....

I've had 12 in my boat with 750s full and while the 350 sounded like it was working, it had plenty of power to spare. I do have whatever the " high altitude prop option" is...my dealer said the 350 was tuned to surf this boat and it was supposed to be very efficient at this RPM. I also rode in/behind a 24mxz with the ls3 and the dealer commented on how much fuel it burned over the 350. So recognize the pros and cons of more motor.

I'm sure someone on here can find the GPH of each motor at a specific RPM and back into some consumption comparison...

We all feel our boats are fairly well optimized but I have no regrets about living with the 350.

I have an 07 LSV with the 350. I will never own another LSV or any 23ft boat with a 350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you run a lot of weight wakeboarding too. I could be wrong, but I think MOST people run more weight for surfing than wakeboarding. If that is the case, I feel the 350 is fine, when propped right. If you're going to run that same amount surfing for wakeboarding as well, a bigger motor would be the way to go.

You're never really on plane at 11mph per hour, but you will be at higher speeds.

Maybe I'm wrong, but just my observation

Just out of curiosity how many gph are you guys burning while surfing the 23lsv with the 350? I have the ls3, 2419 and run 4400# of ballast to surf but don't know how many gph I burn. I will check next weekend.

yeah, with the newer Malibu Dashboard they could show us the numbers... that would be a nice and cheap to implement feature. Or can you see the numbers already?

Edited by OneCent

yeah, with the newer Malibu Dashboard they could show us the numbers... that would be a nice and cheap to implement feature. Or can you see the numbers already?

Assume you're talking about the GPH being displayed on malice like MPG is displayed on cars? If so, then no they don't have this.

Assume you're talking about the GPH being displayed on malice like MPG is displayed on cars? If so, then no they don't have this.

Part of me thinks that would be cool...

The other part of me doesn't want to know...

I honestly don't care about gph in a boat.

2315 is significantly better for the LSV, especially considering the 350 you're looking at. I wouldn't waste your time with the 1235. Don't even take the boat home with that prop on it.

Matter of fact... a 2419 would be even better!

Is this the general consensus. I see more info on the 2315 vs. the 2419. I have very little knowledge in regards to props. Thanks for all the help.