Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ramp accidents have you had one?

JustinOSU

Do you unhook you boat Y or N?  

409 members have voted

1. 1. Do you unhook your boat before using the ramp?

• Always
    • Only if I am Familiar with the ramp
    • Sometimes
    • Never

I have a friend who dropped his bu onto the launch ramp while backing down with no strap. Destroyed the rudder, prop, and shaft and cracked the gelcoat on the transom.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1FootDan

• NorCaliBu

• gonorth

• naughty girl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ramp is one of the reasons I am not more in to boating. I am not experienced enough to just start and put the boat in reverse off the trailer. I still use ropes with the kids in the boat and my wife and I backing the boat back with the ropes, tie off then I have to park the truck and trailer. Same set up with loading and me getting the truck. I can "feel" the tension of others at the ramp? I even let people know that I am knew at this... which generally does not ease the situation. Big relief when I am loaded up and off the ramp! KC

The solution is to teach your wife to drive the boat on and off the trailer. I know this is a big step for some people...actually letting a woman drive a boat!!! Shocking.gif

If you trust her to pull a car into a garage (which I would hope you do), she can learn to drive the boat. Plus on the boat you have trailer guides to help....don't have those on the garage.

Here is the scenario:

1 - Load up boat with wife/kids/stuff AWAY from the ramp.

2 - Back boat down ramp.

3 - Wife starts boat

4 - Unhook boat

5 - Wife back boat off and hang out in the lake/river away from the ramp.

6 - Park truck

7 - Wife picks you up at the dock (we use a swim-platform to the end of the dock manuver that you can pull off even if both sides of the dock are full...)

Reverse above for the end of the day....

By the end of our first summer owning a boat, my wife could come up to a dock and spin a 180 and put the swim platform within 6 inches of the dock Biggrin.gif

Dave

No the other way around....I drive the boat on and off and the wife drives the truck. That way I don't have to walk to the truck...lol. Seriously both of you should learn how to launch and back up the trailer as it'll make the trips out much less stressful. Yesterday at the dock a guy dumped off his Bu' that had about 10 kids in it walked it off the trailer and then they just held it there as he parked. He came back down after about 15 minutes just to realize he forgot something. As my wife was putting the trailer in the water she shook her head at him, he asked if he was in the way. Her reply was yes you are but we can handle it as she put the trailer perfectly between a class A MH and the Bu tied to the dock which left me just barely enough room to moto in. Iit's great to have a partner that is as good as you are with your half of the ramp duties.

I have a friend who dropped his bu onto the launch ramp while backing down with no strap. Destroyed the rudder, prop, and shaft and cracked the gelcoat on the transom.

And that is precisely why you |NEVER| unhook the strap until the boat is over the water far enough to float it if it starts sliding off.

On the subject of using a bowline with the wife or kids holding it and hiting the brakes to give the boat a sendoff. Works great as long as they are smart enough to keep the line up above the bunks and side guides when the boat goes floating out.

My wife can back the trailer or put the boat on the trailer equally well. It was worth the few early starts and mid week lake visits to allow her to practise with no pressure.

Life is bliss to own a bu & have a capable partner

The ramp is a stressful ordeal for everyone. Taking some time to learn the process (both of you, as was mentioned having a partner that's good at the other side of things is just as important) early or late season, or during the week pays dividends tenfold, possibly more over time.

We've had a few close calls, but nothing tragic has come of it. I've seen more than I care to comment on, mainly because it just amazes me to see people make the same mistakes over & over & over again. (And now that I've made that comment, I will promptly forget to put the plug in the next time we take the boat out. What's that saying about stones & glass houses? :lol:)

The two most amuseing places in the world to waste some time siting back and drinking a cold one are:

1) At a busy boat ramp

2) On a busy canoeing river on shore at a tricky point on the river. (rocks, branches, or whatever to work around) I always took shore lunches or did over nite camps at these kind of places. But you want to be just upstream of them so you don't get too tempted to help.

The two most amuseing places in the world to waste some time siting back and drinking a cold one are:

1) At a busy boat ramp

2) On a busy canoeing river on shore at a tricky point on the river. (rocks, branches, or whatever to work around) I always took shore lunches or did over nite camps at these kind of places. But you want to be just upstream of them so you don't get too tempted to help.

We always watch just below the rapids so we can help save the beers floating by. ;)

It was worth the few early starts and mid week lake visits to allow her to practise with no pressure.

That is the key. Practice with no pressure when you aren't in a hurry to hit the water. Wy wife can back down the ramp very well and has even driven the boat onto the trailer several times. In a pinch she could get the boat in and out of the water by her self. Which brings up another good point. What happens if only one person knows how to load/unload and that person gets hurt on the water? Then you are putting your boat into either an unexperianced person's or a stranger's hands. Neither of which would be favorable.

If you aren't comfortable with backing and loading or unloading and that is keeping you from going to the lake, do yourself a favor and take a day off of work and head to the lake and practice when it isn't busy. forget about going out on the lake. Practice backing the trailer in. Practice DRIVING the boat on and off of the trailer. You would be amazed how much better you would get with an hour or two of practice.

Shocking.gif While at Don Pedro over the Memorial Day weekend I was able to witness two incidents in a matter of minutes. The first was a jet ski Yahoo.gif being pulled out. Apparantely nothing was hooked up and the guy started going a bit fast up the ramp. When he heard or felt the thing going he panicked and gunned it producing a brand new jet ski all over the asphalt. The second one happened when the lady decided to gun the thing off the trailer while the 6-8" of ratchet webbing was still hooked up Surprised.gif She came to a quick stop. So much for the first time out shakedown cruise.

Sit below the rapids to save the beers, GOOD POINT!

Back when I was like 15 the way I learned to back up a trailer (and I still do it this way) is to steer from the bottom of the wheel. Turn the BOTTOM of the wheel in the direction you want the boat to head toward. If you steer from the top you have to always go the opposite way, adding confusion at a time when you don't need any extra confusion.

A big empty parking lot like a county fairgrounds makes a good place to practice backing up. Bring some plastic trach cans along as markers to aim for and as you get better try to backup for like a couple hundred yards with the barbage cans or plastic cups with water in them about 10-12 feet apart every 20 yards or so along the way. When you get that mastered add a curve or turn into the mix.

Another note for beginners, long trucks with extended cabs and 8' boxes are harder to backup with, the response is a lot slower. On the other hand a short trailer is harder because it responds fast. So, best mix to learn/practice with is a short vehicle with a long trailer. (possibly an empty trailer so you can see without using mirrors at first)

Let's see who has the best pictures, here is one...

PriorLakeBoatAccident.jpg

Edited by 1FootDan

Here is when you un-hook when you leave your house...

Boat.jpg

Edited by 1FootDan

The black box reveals that the drivers last words were:"Hold my beer and watch this..."

9278_256.jpg

Edited by 1FootDan

OK I beleive you, your bilge pump doesn't work...

insurance1.jpg

Edited by 1FootDan

Change of subject, have you seen the new heavy weight barefoot boom from BFI for the big boys??

michellek.jpg

OK, that's enough...

Edited by 1FootDan

Hey, a boom on both sides to balance the load and keep things going straight. Good idea. I don't think those booms are going to bounce and damage any gel coat either.

Those are some awsome pics. I'll check with my cousin to see if he has any pics from when the crane picked my uncles sail boat up after his little launching accident. That was like 20 years ago, did they have cameras back then? Oh, ya, they used something called film. :)

OK I beleive you, your bilge pump doesn't work...

insurance1.jpg

That pic is from Devil's cove on Lake Travis....lots of Crazy.gif stuff goes on in there! Innocent.gif

• 7 months later...

Keep the boat attached---Never be in a hurry--If you are waiting, be patient and provide assistance to your fellow boater if needed---Have some one watch the back of the boat as you are back up to prevent mishaps.

winner!

Often i find myself offering to help, or just being generally happy and patient as we watch the Launch Ramp Saga...

Can't tell you how many times i've helped someone jump start their boat, troubleshoot a problem, lend a tool, tow someone back to shore...

thing is, there have been a couple of times I have needed help during various boat outings, and someone has always been there for me too.

so, (i could name names, but i won't) next time you think about yelling at or giving someone the one-finger salute for being a newbie, slow, or having problems...

just think that someone else may see you being a jerk... and let you paddle yourself back when your alternator goes out! Shocking.gif

• 1 month later...

Last year I can remember backing my boat down ramp and another fellow boarder boat "a Nauti" was trying to swap out a damaged prop on the ramp. Because they were blocking a ramp lane I offered them my tool kit to swap out their prop while I was putting my boat in the water and told them I would pick up my tools when I came back after parking my truck. they took the tools. I proceded to put my boat in the water and park the truck. By the time I had my truck/trailer parked and walked down the ramp, they were done installing their prop and ready to hit the water. All-in-all, it was good day.

Damn, I didn't get even get any free beer! oh well, no worries. I hope somebody would do the same for me.