Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Close call

mbianchini

So we were camping this weekend on on a island near chinook landing on the willamette river for my bday. My setup was a anchor buddy and a line to shore. We were heading back to camp with a crew of 6. 5 in the cabin and 1 in the bow. This part of the river is very shallow in spots and it is very important to stay in the channel when crushing/riding. So the channel lies parralel to the island we are camping on, we were crushing at around 25 in the channel, we came up on camp and I looked behind me before I turned 90 degree to the right to head to camp/anchor. At this point we were probably 200 yards from shore. there was one large boat anchored in the midde to the right and a 18ft bayliner sitting about 50 yards from it. Since it's shallow (8-15ft) I'm cruising at around 5mph. Once we are about 25 yards to shore (after crushing at 5 mph toward shore for 175 yards) I hear a buddy say"watch out". I look to my right and here comes this bayliner coming diaganly right at me, probably at a speed of 15-20. I slam in reverse as hard as I can. At this point i for sure thought we were going to hit. She missed my bow by INCHES!

The lady who was driving the boat had a kid on her lap and cigarette in her mouth.

If she would have hit me I have no doubt that she would have launched over my bow and either killed or seriously injured the person in the bow

They happens to be camping right next to us so as soon as I got the anchor hooked and back to shore I threw my sperrys on and confronted her.

She claims she didn't see me, her white trash husband/brother or maybe both then chimes in to say it's no big deal since we didn't hit. They all smelt like booze and were probably drunk

Scariest moment probably ever, I guess point being just pay attention to all your surrounding, lots distracted/drunk boaters out there

• Like 3

Ugh man that's horrible! I have seen too many of these threads today. You should get them back tonight when they are asleep... cut the anchor rope on their boat.

I would have reported them... there's no more satisfying moment than seeing a irresponsible moron boat operator being reprimanded by a officer and then seeing the ticket book and/or handcuffs come out.

• Like 2

So we were camping this weekend on on a island near chinook landing on the willamette river for my bday. My setup was a anchor buddy and a line to shore. We were heading back to camp with a crew of 6. 5 in the cabin and 1 in the bow. This part of the river is very shallow in spots and it is very important to stay in the channel when crushing/riding. So the channel lies parralel to the island we are camping on, we were crushing at around 25 in the channel, we came up on camp and I looked behind me before I turned 90 degree to the right to head to camp/anchor. At this point we were probably 200 yards from shore. there was one large boat anchored in the midde to the right and a 18ft bayliner sitting about 50 yards from it. Since it's shallow (8-15ft) I'm cruising at around 5mph. Once we are about 25 yards to shore (after crushing at 5 mph toward shore for 175 yards) I hear a buddy say"watch out". I look to my right and here comes this bayliner coming diaganly right at me, probably at a speed of 15-20. I slam in reverse as hard as I can. At this point i for sure thought we were going to hit. She missed my bow by INCHES!

The lady who was driving the boat had a kid on her lap and cigarette in her mouth.

If she would have hit me I have no doubt that she would have launched over my bow and either killed or seriously injured the person in the bow

They happens to be camping right next to us so as soon as I got the anchor hooked and back to shore I threw my sperrys on and confronted her.

She claims she didn't see me, her white trash husband/brother or maybe both then chimes in to say it's no big deal since we didn't hit. They all smelt like booze and were probably drunk

Scariest moment probably ever, I guess point being just pay attention to all your surrounding, lots distracted/drunk boaters out there

Was this the columbia or willamette? Because chinook landing is on the columbia but you said willamette. Either way that is some scary stuff. You know you can get a hull ID and report them. I really don't know what would come of it since no accident actually occurred but something might come of it. That area does get crazy. Just saturday I saw river rescue put in at chinook all lights and sirens and in a big hurry.

Was this the columbia or willamette? Because chinook landing is on the columbia but you said willamette. Either way that is some scary stuff. You know you can get a hull ID and report them. I really don't know what would come of it since no accident actually occurred but something might come of it. That area does get crazy. Just saturday I saw river rescue put in at chinook all lights and sirens and in a big hurry.

Oops, yeah I meant the Colombia. I was there on Saturday and saw river rescue. Any idea what happened?

Oops, yeah I meant the Colombia. I was there on Saturday and saw river rescue. Any idea what happened?

No I don't. One of the guys we ride with tried to find some info but couldn't. It was like a Malibu convention out there that day though. Did ya happen to see a black and ride 09 vride surfing?

Couple questions.

#1 8-15 feet is shallow?

#2 Is this a "no wake" area or are there "aids to navigation" buoys that they were ignoring or is this just local knowledge that you should navigate a 90 into the island?

#3 The Bayliner was on your right?

Couple questions.

#1 8-15 feet is shallow?

#2 Is this a "no wake" area or are there "aids to navigation" buoys that they were ignoring or is this just local knowledge that you should navigate a 90 into the island?

#3 The Bayliner was on your right?

#2.... ~25 yards from shore where other boats are anchored...? I would consider that a no wake zone whether it's posted or not, wouldn't you? Sounds like the OP was trying to be safe, responsible, and courteous and then got slapped in the face for it.

Similar story...

I was anchored across the bay a few weeks ago. It was a beautiful night and we were just sitting with the table out eating dinner. There was a north wind so there were probably 15 sail boats anchored up for the night. I was probably 50 yards out from them. Some dude with a little tri hull was coming straight at me just plowing water. The bow was so high I knew he couldn't see me. I just watched as he came closer and closer thinking any idiot would pop their head up to look IN FRONT OF THEM. Finally I laid on the horn and the dude stood up and saw us. It wasn't SUPER close, but if I hadn't done anything he would have T boned us.

I took this opportunity as a lesson to my crew. If you are the "captain" your duty's do NOT end if the boat is anchored. My 4 year old now is always scanning our surroundings even while shes playing in the water.

If the Bayliner was coming in from your starboard bow, they do have the right of way. Of course, no one wants to be dead right. And the fact that she says she didn't see you, well, then she was obviously not operating properly. 75' from shore is no wake as most waterways are I believe within 150' of shore is no wake. Either way, glad you are alright, and it is a lesson you have to watch out 'cause most aren't. My friend had a 33' Sea Ray destroyed while anchored 'cause someone didn't see it. It was a tough boat to not see....

If the Bayliner was coming in from your starboard bow, they do have the right of way. Of course, no one wants to be dead right. And the fact that she says she didn't see you, well, then she was obviously not operating properly. 75' from shore is no wake as most waterways are I believe within 150' of shore is no wake. Either way, glad you are alright, and it is a lesson you have to watch out 'cause most aren't. My friend had a 33' Sea Ray destroyed while anchored 'cause someone didn't see it. It was a tough boat to not see....

Exactly. Also, if she was under power, that heightens OP's obligation to give way.

BUT...I'm not following the OP's description, was this bayliner the one that was "sitting" 50 yards from the "large boat"? If she came under power after OP has established his line, I don't think he did anything wrong.

• Like 2

That's what I was wrestling with too. "On the right in the right" came to mind but if she was approaching from behind, she was also overtaking, and must give way. Either way, Levi has it exactly right: "Head on a swivel". Ultimately it is BOTH vessels responsibility to avoid a collision.

• Like 1

8-15' is shallow? I'll surf in anything 10'+. Hell, on our water where the slalom course is setup it is typically 6' deep.

On the columbia the depths change very quick. If you are in 8-15' feet you had better be moving slowly with one eye on the depth gauge unless you know exactly where you are and are experienced boating in the area. LOTS of people end up on sandbars every year. Even the sheriff a couple years ago.

Exactly. Also, if she was under power, that heightens OP's obligation to give way.

BUT...I'm not following the OP's description, was this bayliner the one that was "sitting" 50 yards from the "large boat"? If she came under power after OP has established his line, I don't think he did anything wrong.

Give way? Not sure that makes sense either. He was idling toward his anchor. And from what I gather she came from behind him diagonally essentially cutting him off. At least thats what I got from reading the post.