Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering newer boat: Any Malivue Issues? What was the dealer response and complexity?

I am very worried about the longevity of the electronics in the newer boats, but want to upgrade. I like to buy used if possible, but that is typically no warranty land. Previously. I could trace a wire to the switch and fix the problem, but am afraid that the head-unit could go bad and you'd be dead in the water. It is my main hesitation of a newer boat. If they made a Ride 21 with surf gates that would be my boat.

My question is in regards to any issues people have had with the electronics in the boat, specifically Malivue. It has been out for a number of years now and I would expect some have had some problems. More importantly however, how easy it was for the dealer to find and repair the problems?

Anyone have an estimate for cost if the head unit went bad?

Seems like when something goes wrong the fix is to replace the component that has failed and not even bother with attempting to fix it. That being said, the only problem I've had with the electronics is the RF stereo remote on the dash. Not sure how much it was to replace (mine was under warranty), but I think you can buy them for around $150 and they are easy to replace yourself.

Seems like when something goes wrong the fix is to replace the component that has failed and not even bother with attempting to fix it. That being said, the only problem I've had with the electronics is the RF stereo remote on the dash. Not sure how much it was to replace (mine was under warranty), but I think you can buy them for around $150 and they are easy to replace yourself.

That remote can be bought for about $99.

• 1 month later...

We have a 2013 Response and have not had any problems with the electronics so far. Previously we had a 2006 Response and I was concerned about the same issues as you when we upgraded. While the touch screens and additional options are neat, I would prefer the "good old days" with switches to control lighting, pump, blower,etc... Much easier to troubleshoot and less expensive to repair. Even after two years with no issues, I have to wonder how long before something quits. Probably about a week after the warranty runs out! I love the touch screen navigation/radio units in automobiles as much as anyone but I don't see the benefit of having that technology in a boat. I understand why Malibu and other manufacturers do it, just not sure how reliable it will be 8-10 years from now.