Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Splined to keyed steering wheel

oldjeep

Anyone aware of an adapter to go from a helm that uses a splined steering wheel to a keyed wheel? I wanted to switch my 2012 to the newer style 2013+ steering wheel and just found out that the steering shaft is splined shaft.

Not sure on the specific wheel you are referencing, but Summitt Performance and others such as Grant, K2, Momo, make a variety of hubs to adapt the wheel to the column. Does your current wheel have a hub or is it integral like the older wheels, if separate simply use that.

Not sure on the specific wheel you are referencing, but Summitt Performance and others such as Grant, K2, Momo, make a variety of hubs to adapt the wheel to the column. Does your current wheel have a hub or is it integral like the older wheels, if separate simply use that.

The factory 2012 wheel uses a splined shaft to standard 6 bolt pattern adapter and the wheel bolts to a 6 bolt pattern like a grant. The 2013 Gussi steering wheel has an integrated hub which expects a keyed shaft.

Unfortunately it looks like I'd have to replace the tilt mechanism (SH91810) with SH91800 unless I can get Taperflex to just sell me the shaft.

Heard back from Teleflex, they don't just sell the shaft. So to convert to the keyed type wheel means replacing the tilt mechanism.

post-22501-0-93060400-1408570266_thumb.j

Edited by oldjeep

Yes, although I currently have an older one on the boat - Issotta Zulag. I really hated the single spoke.

So you replacing your Issotta Zulag already?...

So you replacing your Issotta Zulag already?...

Yes, last change (I think). The only gripe I have with the Zulag is that the large spokes obscure the screens more than I like. I understand why they used the single spoke for this dash layout, just don't like the way it operates. The 2013+ wheel doesn't seem like it'll hide as much of the MLS screen.

• Like 1

Hummmmmm.....I'm here in Germany now, have my Zulag in hand, a nice wheel!

Guess I'll see when I get back and put it on how it work out!

Hummmmmm.....I'm here in Germany now, have my Zulag in hand, a nice wheel!

Guess I'll see when I get back and put it on how it work out!

I'll have one for sale soon if this all works out. Ordered the new tilt mechanism last night, doesn't look like any big deal to swap it out.

can you post the part numbers. I hate my single spoke wheel! thanks so much for the help!

Teleflex SH91800P tilt unit

http://www.amazon.com/Teleflex-SH91800P-Series-Tilt-Mechanism/dp/B001IUVYX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408967613&sr=8-1&keywords=SH91800

Gussi Italia (GWBAS) Steering wheel

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-16808-13-12-predator-steering-wheel.aspx

Ordered - Thank you so much for leading the way!

Just don't take apart any more than you need to when swapping the tilt unit.

You only need to remove:

1) The steering wheel adapter (you'll need a puller) - either a 2/3 arm jaw type or if you use a balancer/steering wheel puller you will have to find some long bolts to fit the adapter.

2) Rubber boot

3) plastic bezel (2 Philips screws)

4) 2 big Philips screws holding the tilt unit to the base

5) The allen screw holding the tilt unit shaft to the rack shaft (back one) - you'll have to loosen the other allen screw 1/2 turn or so.

You shouldn't have any trouble selling that one spoke wheel - had a couple people interested in mine when I got rid of it.

Edited by oldjeep