Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need surfgate

dm001681

All I can tell you is that non of the SG equipped boats that I have ridden can put a candle to a PROPERLY weighted listed boat from my experience. I emphasize PROPERLY weighted because my theory is that anyone that thinks their SG wave is better must not have dialed their listed boat.

All I can tell you is that non of the SG equipped boats that I have ridden can put a candle to a PROPERLY weighted listed boat from my experience. I emphasize PROPERLY weighted because my theory is that anyone that thinks their SG wave is better must not have dialed their listed boat.

or...have dialed in their SG boat to take full advantage of delayed convergence (my theory).

Edited by Cervelo
  • Like 3

Do you need surfgate? You don't need surfgate but you may want it. I think it depends on your crew. Most of the time I'm going out with my wife and other families. Usually children under 12 are involved. I find it much easier and safer to use a surgate boat then the one I just sold and was listing. When I would go out with the fellas, listing wasn't a problem. Although I prefer not to list.

I don't think you need to super slam a surfgate boat either. With hardtanks, full PnP it takes on ~2800 and works great, for me.

As far as what wave is better listed or surfgate. I don't really have an opinion. I've never been in a dialed listed or dialed surfgate for comparison.

Ndawg- that's the exact topic the OP solicited advice on. "Do I need Surfgate?" :lol:<br /><br />And I'm anxious to hear the answer to my question..... Is kidmann comparing apples to apples? Because I can't imagine someone saying they like the Surfgate wave more than it's listed counterpart. The convenience of Surfgate? Sure.

<br /><br />Not everyone wants super steep wake with pronounced lip. What is best for u isn't necessarily best for others. And I say that with my own preference being a listed boat.
martinarcher

I understand what your saying BS and that's your experience. Just to share mine with my old DD, I tried just about every weight combination I could think of without sinking my boat and here's my best listed wave vs my gated wave....lets just say the gates are a permanent addition. :biggrin:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40613-teakgate/?p=562368

At the end of the day, the horse has been beat and ......everyone has their favorite wave for their boat and the method to produce it isn't the same.

You can dial a very good wake with both SG or of course listed, the question is what are you willing to pay for the most convenience. My experience with listed is that the wake could differ with how many people I bring on board and knowing how to adjust (extra weight, wedge, speed, asking people to sit on the surf side....etc). What I've seen with SG is consistency with having 2, 3, 4, 5 or plus people on board and them being able to sit wherever, the wake remains pretty much the same which I think is a big plus, specially if you have family and kids and don't want to tell them where they should sit. I don't think the question of quality of wake should be in play, it's more the question of the price to pay for the big convenience, IMO....

What you are saying is akin to saying "not everyone prefers a perfectly manicured golf course". Sure, some beginners might not care or know the difference. Some may never have played a perfectly manicured course. Some beginners may even be intimidated on a nicer course. And heck, some people's game may be totally unaffected by the less than perfect conditions.......... BUT there is no denying which is the "better" course and which course supports better play.<br /> <br /> <br />And for those telling the OP he should get SG or that "it works great for you". Keep in mind, he already has a listed setup AND he said his biggest concern is the quality of the wave.

<br /><br />Not the same at all. What I'm saying is akin to not everyone prefers links style courses vs courses characterized by big, open, flat fairways. <br /><br />There does appear to be advanced surfers on here that like their SG waves.

Another great thing about a surfgate boat, you can list it. You want it listed, list it. If you think the gate is messing up the wave take 10 minutes and take it off. Seems like the best of both worlds.

I've always wakeboarded and did not get into surfing until the last year or so, so I'm a novice. I had a 2010 VLX prior and a 2014 now, so same hull. When we started listing the boat to surf, it never seemed to have enough push for us. (600 in rear locker, 600 on surf side seat, 400 in nose) Maybe it was weighted wrong, but I was following the recipes that others had described on here and it wasn't working for me. The amount of people that were in the boat made a much bigger difference than it does now. I never surfed with the wife in the boat, as I knew she would hate the listing feeling. Finally listed the boat with the wife in it and she was sold and wanted to upgrade.

The 2014, (again same hull) I put 750s in each corner, a 725lb bow sac, and all tanks and I'm golden. People can go ropeless, there appears to be more push. You can get a steep wave by playing with the wedge position, but it will certainly shorten the pocket. Surfgate has worked well for me and my crew. Is it better? I'd say it's different. It is definitely more convenient. Yes I am running more weight than a listed boat, but I am also driving a level boat, which is also easier.

I still surf my buddies boats (06 V ride, 06 247, 09 LSV and 2012 centurion) and I wouldn't say listing is superior, but depends on what you are looking to get out of it. There are those here like BS and the artist formerly known as Ruffdog who have the listed wave dialed, and that"s great.

Do you need surfgate, no. But after having the same hull, and running both a listed and surfgate wave, I'll take surfgate any day of the week.

Just my .02

• Like 2

Riiiiiiiiiiight. I guess I was just thinking he wanted our opinions.......you know..........since he asked. :crazy:

And now that many have provided their opinions - for both listed & SG boats - it's time for him to see for himself.

Cervello. Go look at the Wakesurfing Footage (video inside) thread, page 8. (Watersports & Gear)

Post #147

You'll see NorrisMike (I believe) riding behind Afun's SG VLX. That's a dialed SurfGate boat. It has 5000# of ballast in it! Look at how Norris rides right over where the lip on the wave should be....and all the way onto the flat spot on the top of the wave....then has to take a washout turn back down. There is no lip until the wave starts to curl over......and it's too slow to ride back there. And this isn't a critique on the rider at all. For only riding one season I would actually say NorrisMike is way way way ahead of the curve and is gonna get good.......quickly.

Now scroll down the page and look at the video I posted (#154). Notice the difference? See how poppy the wave is? I have literally half the weight Afun has.

Look at the transitions.

I think the video of the waves speaks for themselves (not to mention every SG boat I've ridden behind is bigger than mine.....and had more ballast.........and neither boat T22 or 23LSV produced anything comparable to my little Vride with less weight)

Hey, that was my Gnarly Gate 3.0! For the record, I have submitted that tryout vid to the pro wakesurf assoc but haven't heard back yet....