Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need surfgate

dm001681

I have a 2012 LSV 23 that we love, but who doesn't want a new boat right? We wakeboard/surf probably 70/30 but when we have friends on the boat its easier to teach them to surf than wakeboard and we are also liking it more and more. I've got stock ballast +750lbs in both lockers (only use the one side for surfing obviously) and I'm wondering if surfgate really makes a huge difference? Is it worth trying to find a good deal coming into the fall on a surfgate equiped boat or is it just a matter of adding more weight to mine to get an equivalent wave? I certainly would love not having to list the boat with surfgate and also be able to switch setup so easily but I'm most interested in getting the best wave. Thoughts?

I have a 2012 LSV 23 that we love, but who doesn't want a new boat right? We wakeboard/surf probably 70/30 but when we have friends on the boat its easier to teach them to surf than wakeboard and we are also liking it more and more. I've got stock ballast +750lbs in both lockers (only use the one side for surfing obviously) and I'm wondering if surfgate really makes a huge difference? Is it worth trying to find a good deal coming into the fall on a surfgate equiped boat or is it just a matter of adding more weight to mine to get an equivalent wave? I certainly would love not having to list the boat with surfgate and also be able to switch setup so easily but I'm most interested in getting the best wave. Thoughts?

Are you looking because you really want the "best" wave or because convenience of switching sides instantly for your crew appeals to you? Your boat is capable of an outstanding wave but I loved the convenience of SG, and you can get a very very high quality wave at the flip of a switch.

If you want the ease of switching sides, then you might want the surfgate or a strap on gate. Not being listed is mildly nice but you'll actually end up with more weight in the boat trying to dial in a gated wake.

I was very similar to you in how much time was spent wakeboarding vs. surfing. However, this year, we have certainly put more hours on the boat than years past and have been surfing a lot more as well. I would say this year, we are closer to 60/40. I like the wave behind my '11 lsv but the convenience and level boat has made me happy for the switch. Plus, the newer pumps with PnP are much faster than the old pumps on the '11. Fill time with the PnP is quicker than I had expected.

This is an interesting question. I'm thinking the same thing and the more I think about it I am probably going to end up with a manual gate. I NEVER surf goofy, and I don't care about driving listed. I'm just going to use it to lengthen the wave while listed.

I want a fully automated baller surfgate system cause it's cool, but I probably wouldn't use it to its full potential.

I will say YES. Not having a listed boat, being able to transition, the higher gun wall and if set up correctly, no fat sacks in cabin. Being able to transition has greatly improved my surfing. Having the option to start on what ever side u want is priceless. I ride regular wife rides goofy so she gets her fare share of riding in now. The redesigned LSV is IMO the best yet. Massive surf wake. My neighbor hasn't even pulled his air nautique out yet this year his wife hates their boat now.

JK

• Like 2

I will say YES. Not having a listed boat, being able to transition, the higher gun wall and if set up correctly, no fat sacks in cabin. Being able to transition has greatly improved my surfing. Having the option to start on what ever side u want is priceless. I ride regular wife rides goofy so she gets her fare share of riding in now. The redesigned LSV is IMO the best yet. Massive surf wake. My neighbor hasn't even pulled his air nautique out yet this year his wife hates their boat now.

JK

:rofl:

You guys with piggyback are missing out. I have 3 Jabsco pumps in my boat. I'm filling stock ballast and the extra sacks simultaneously. It's no surfgate, but switching sides in ~8 minutes is pretty sweet.

• Like 1

But plan on taking a bath on your 2012 boat. Nobody wants one. At least I don't.

If I had 70+K to spend on a 2012 used, then I am just going to make the leap to the new boat with surfgate, just like you are thinking. Even for less, I probably wouldn't buy your boat, because there really isn't any option a 2012 boat has that is all that much better compared to my 2006.

A non surfgate boat makes an awesome wave, that is easy to prove. When I sell my boat, it will be to advance to a surfgate boat. Not to get a better wave, but to have to not list the boat, and weight the boat evenly.

Edited by TallRedRider
martinarcher

This is an interesting question. I'm thinking the same thing and the more I think about it I am probably going to end up with a manual gate. I NEVER surf goofy, and I don't care about driving listed. I'm just going to use it to lengthen the wave while listed.

I want a fully automated baller surfgate system cause it's cool, but I probably wouldn't use it to its full potential.

I thought the same thing.....until I learned how to pull off surf transfers. The looks from the boat when you nail one with a new crew are like they just saw a space craft fly over the lake behind you. :lol: It's awesome.

• Like 2

I thought the same thing.....until I learned how to pull off surf transfers. The looks from the boat when you nail one with a new crew are like they just saw a space craft fly over the lake behind you. :lol: It's awesome.

I hate you... :lol:

:werule:

• Like 1

Yep for me it seems to be one second after the last beep.

The best wave will come from a listed boat. Period. And the difference isn't "comparable" or "close". A listed 21' boat will produce a markedly better wave than a 21' SG boat with twice the weight.

Now if your #1 concern was convenience? I would have a different answer for you. I'd tell you to either automate all the ballast on your listed boat OR get a Surfgate boat.

IMO, the best of both worlds is to spend some cash and completely automate your ballast system on a listed boat. Do it for both sides. One complete with custom sacks, multiple reversible pumps and switches on the dash (for both sides) would run what? 3k? That's a heck of a lot cheaper than SG ........AND you get a perfect wave AND switching sides is as simple as flipping a couple switches and waiting 5-10 minutes.

Good luck with your decision!

I think my wave with the sg boat is better than what I had with a listed boat. I have so much wave to ride. Seems like I am always finding a new line and with running 3100 lbs the whole boat is pushing down not just one side. These BU's don't like bow weight.

JK