Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Head unit In glovebox on '05 VLX

cyclone18

Hey guys, has anybody ever moved the source unit from next to the driver to in the glovebox compartment like the surpa's and some others do? I really dislike having mine where it is and was thinking of the following:

Put my WS420 where the Source unit is now

Move the Source Unit to in the glovebox

Has anybody ever done this?

My last boat had the HU in the Glove box, and I hated it. Couldn't reach it from the driver's seat, and (wireless) remote wouldn't work through the closed door - had to "prop" the door open so the remote would work. Even with a wired remote, I think you would still find you wanted to get your hands on the HU at some point, and be bothered that it was out of reach.

Ours was moved from the arm rest to the glovebox. We can run it fine with Bluetooth on iPhone with glovebox closed. Also, note though we are novice drivers and always have someone in the observer's seat who can man the stereo --- one less item for new drivers to worry about.

Ours was moved from the arm rest to the glovebox. We can run it fine with Bluetooth on iPhone with glovebox closed. Also, note though we are novice drivers and always have someone in the observer's seat who can man the stereo --- one less item for new drivers to worry about.

Where mine is someone on the observer seat can also control it. Or anyone port side can control it via remote:

photoapr15163614.jpg

I have thought of moving my head unit under the dash but was afraid of water getting to it. Typically when we go to other lakes camping we dont cover the boat at nite, Its just such a hassle with the boat having to be anchored at some of the places we go! We sometimes will leave it uncovered at our camp if we are out late and I know I'm headed out for an early ski. I know its unusual but on the fourth this year we did this and got hit with a quick moving storm that rained like crazy for about 3-4 hours rite in the middle of the nite blowing hard rite on the dash, (by the time I realized it and got out to the boat it was already soaked, the tack did actually get moisture in it) I'm sure the radio would have gotten very wet in that situation. How much water would it take to damage the radio? Do you guys get the radio wet at all, just really pay attention or always put the cover on?

I left my head unit under the armrest and put a ZLD under the dash. We generally play the Ipod which can be plugged in in a few different spots but generally use the port by the observer seat. I control the volume and the passengers can control the music. As the driver I have more important things to worry about and doing other than shuffling through an Ipod looking for a certain song.

I think everyone agrees that under the armrest is a bad location but most people are using some aux inport for music and some sort of zone controller for volume. The only time I have to open the armrest is if I want to change the XM station.

Edited by Simo

I have thought of moving my head unit under the dash but was afraid of water getting to it. Typically when we go to other lakes camping we dont cover the boat at nite, Its just such a hassle with the boat having to be anchored at some of the places we go! We sometimes will leave it uncovered at our camp if we are out late and I know I'm headed out for an early ski. I know its unusual but on the fourth this year we did this and got hit with a quick moving storm that rained like crazy for about 3-4 hours rite in the middle of the nite blowing hard rite on the dash, (by the time I realized it and got out to the boat it was already soaked, the tack did actually get moisture in it) I'm sure the radio would have gotten very wet in that situation. How much water would it take to damage the radio? Do you guys get the radio wet at all, just really pay attention or always put the cover on?

Mine hasn't got wet, but would have to be one hell of a storm since we leave the bimini up when vacationing on the water (and cover her at night to keep dew/bugs out of the boat). We have got caught in the rain a couple times and it always stays dry.

Think about all the stuff on the dash of these newer boats with piles on electronics on them. Many boats have head units on the dash too that are exposed and its not a problem.

I'm always concerned about a wind-driven rain that seems to get under just about everything. It would be really easy to use a custom made vinyl sleeve that covered the underdash HU. A slight gap between the HU and dash would allow the top part of the sleeve to slide in between the side-mount brackets and give you decent protection.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I did the head unit swap, it's come up sweet! I made a face plate up for the EQ and mounted it In where the head unit used to be, this also allowed the arm rest to be put back on.

post-17744-0-75603100-1411302598_thumb.j

Then I moved the head unit to the glove box

post-17744-0-77813600-1411302658_thumb.j

You may question why I'm still using a head unit when I have the EQ? The reason being I have a transom remote and I plan on putting another remote under the dash in the same spot that the factory put there remotes in 05-08. That way I will still be able to change songs, see what's playing etc. here's the bracket I did

post-17744-0-11123000-1411302897_thumb.j

post-17744-0-70571000-1411302927_thumb.j

You will notice the pen mark at one end where I will round the end off and will also add round stainless bar as a trim piece to finish it.

Over the years, in different boats, have had 3 radios mounted under the dash die after getting wet getting caught out in the rain. so I bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weather-Enclosure-Cover-Housing-For-Boat-Marine-Stereo-Audio-Radio-Parts-/371146762051?pt=US_Marine_Audio&hash=item566a122743

I only close the door when needed.

dalt1 and wheeler I did think about one of those but I wanted to put my remote there so I went with the glove box. I will keep you guys up to date as my install progress'

• 2 weeks later...