Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

tower strength - 07 vtx

Hello everyone,

I see a lot of pictures of people sitting/jumping off their towers. Mine is angeled forward, and seems like an weight other than pulling a wakeboarder would cause damage to the tower.

How strong are these things?

Thanks

Not very. The weak point is the hinge assembly. The pins & bushings wear & then the thing knocks when you go over bumps. If the gap between the tower & base gets too bad, it can pinch you bad.

Not very strong as said above. I replaced all the bushings this year, much better than last year when it would knock every time we hit a wave.

I have the IllusionX tower also. It's 6 years old and havent noticed any knocking. We mainly only surf from it for beginners who can't get up easily or pull kids on wakeboard. I've only lowered it once or twice just to make sure it worked.

I've seen a few uninformed people tow a tube from them, which IMO is a recipe for disaster.

Was it difficult to replace the bushings, etc? Not sure of the need to replace them now if I'm having no knocking with routine use? Also not real sure how to inspect it for wear?

I have the IllusionX tower also. It's 6 years old and havent noticed any knocking. We mainly only surf from it for beginners who can't get up easily or pull kids on wakeboard. I've only lowered it once or twice just to make sure it worked.

I've seen a few uninformed people tow a tube from them, which IMO is a recipe for disaster.

Was it difficult to replace the bushings, etc? Not sure of the need to replace them now if I'm having no knocking with routine use? Also not real sure how to inspect it for wear?

If there is a large gap between the tower base and the rest of the tower, it needs bushings. It wasn't too difficult, there was a thread on it by JAXONBOATS, that explained everything in detail.

If there is a large gap between the tower base and the rest of the tower, it needs bushings. It wasn't too difficult, there was a thread on it by JAXONBOATS, that explained everything in detail.

could you post a picture of them

Very interesting. Thanks guys and gals. I didnt know that, and have noticed mine is exhibiting sone of those behaviors (knock back and forth) and have even noticed one of the allen head base screws might be stripped.

Is there an upgrade option?

Very interesting. Thanks guys and gals. I didnt know that, and have noticed mine is exhibiting sone of those behaviors (knock back and forth) and have even noticed one of the allen head base screws might be stripped.

Is there an upgrade option?

Samson blade would be good and is less than half the price of a new G3 tower, but still is wayyy more expensive than just getting new bushings. I would only replace the tower if it is cracked or broken in some way.

Samson blade would be good and is less than half the price of a new G3 tower, but still is wayyy more expensive than just getting new bushings. I would only replace the tower if it is cracked or broken in some way.

It's not just the cost of the tower, but what you have to add to it.

Tower: $3000

Two racks (wakeboard, surf, ski, hybrid wake/surf or a combo): $270/rack for not swivel, $600 swivel. So you are looking at $540 - $1200 for a pair of racks

Bimini: $800

Mirror: $325

That's assuming transferring existing speakers over to this tower. You are talking another $1665 minimum in what I would call essential accessories. That's not including shipping if there is any or taxes if applicable. 5k for a tower upgrade is a good chunk of change. Could probably sell the Illusion w/ accessories used for $1500. That's still $3500 out of pocket.