Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which wakesurf board for me please!

moto96s

Hope everyone is having a good summer.

First, I would like to thank whoever it was that made the first homemade gate. I am not sure who it was, and martinarcher comes to mind, but due to everyone experimenting and posting, I built two gates(one for each side) for next to nothing that really brings the surf wake on my SV23 hull to life with very little weight and no listing.

Now on to the board.

I have been surfing on a craigslist hyperlite broadcast all season and it's time to move up. I am 5'11" and 195lbs and 57 years old. I like to cut around and try to jump up on the wake and get down safely, I like getting as far back as i can and playing catch up pumping and getting low. I have also almost pulled a 360, but have yet to ride one away. To tell you the truth, I am not that interested in spins. I'd rather just get really good at slashing around and playing on the wake at different distances from the boat. I actually like the Broadcast, but it sounds like there is a lot more fun to be had out there.

So the wake is very good but not huge, I am big and old. What board would you folks recommend to take my carving to the next level? Thanks!

I have a Phase 5 Model X that I really like. If possible, try to demo some boards.

the model x would be a good board based on what you want. It is basically a faster broadcast. It is not aggressive and is still easy to ride, but the added speed will help

Sorry - I'm going to have to jump on the Model X bandwagon too. I got a Model X a month or so ago and have been enjoying it. My style/preference sounds similar to yours too. I walked into the store with the intent of getting a Inland Surfer Sweet Spot Pro because I rode my buddy's pro and it was really fast. The salesman talked me into the X as an all around board and I can definitely fall back further with it than I ever could my Inland Surfer Loogie. Although, I still keep my Loogie in the shop as a backup board.

My only complaint is the cost, but it seems like it'll be a good board for quite a few years. My wife ditched her Ronix board and uses the Model X now too.

If you can find an old Inland Surfer Loogie, I know it is fun to ride behind your hull. I think my 2001 VLX is the same hull and it'll make a good roller at a slower speed for the Loogie.

Happy Surfing -

Charlie