Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Evolution of a Wakesurfer Gone Hydrofoiler....

Afun

As soon as you are up get your chest on your knees and arms fully extended. Act like you are paralyzed from the waist down, Do not push with your feet. If you are getting 1/2 inverted 5 secs into your ride then you are leaning back about 100x too much. I pulled a slalom skier for the first time, I said its way less effort than a deep water slalom start. He still ended up upside down within 2 secs from leaning back so hard. Tough sport to learn because there is nothing else like it. The first few seconds of smooth flying will get you hooked, it feels incredible...and then the 6 inches of height feels like 10 feet and you panic, push with your feet and go into a face plant/scorpion. Fun!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have to sit much more forward on the seat. I was sitting on the seat like I was going to eat a sandwich or something. Just hanging back relaxing like I would do at the movies....unreal

Edited by Afun

That's probably because your riding Mike's ski. A lot of experienced riders like their ski a little hot & ride with constant foot pressure....myself included.

You can either shim it so its not so hot (use a dime or a guitar pick in the rear of the rear wing), or tie a small piece of string around the t-bar. This will increase the drag, but also reduce the lift.

I also have to sit much more forward on the seat. I was sitting on the seat like I was going to eat a sandwich or something. Just hanging back relaxing like I would do at the movies....unreal

I shimmed the snot out of it but I couldn't get it tame enough for Alan.... He needs to sit more forward for sure. I had negative 4.25 degrees in it. I may try more next time out.

Feel free to give him more tips as I'm not a great teacher. All I say is get forward and follow the boat....

Edited by NorrisMike
  • Like 2

Chest on the knees, reach for your feet. "SAFETY POSITION" as soon as the board gets out of the water. Try pulling him out of the water a little slower, allows the rider to transition from the seated position required to get the board out of the water to the safety position. NO T-REX ARMS!!!!! Arms straight, do not pull the handle in towards your lap, lean forward as far as you can.

That should help.....maybe......

That's where Josh heard that?! Wtf?! Reach your feet is bassackwards.

Handle high, the foil drops to the board. Handle low & the foil climbs.

Afun, try tieing a piece of string or rope to the foil. The thicker it is, the more drag. But it'll make it easier for you to balance & not climb so much.

Chest on the knees, reach for your feet. "SAFETY POSITION" as soon as the board gets out of the water. Try pulling him out of the water a little slower, allows the rider to transition from the seated position required to get the board out of the water to the safety position. NO T-REX ARMS!!!!! Arms straight, do not pull the handle in towards your lap, lean forward as far as you can.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 2

That's where Josh heard that?! Wtf?! Reach your feet is bassackwards.

Handle high, the foil drops to the board. Handle low & the foil climbs.

Afun, try tieing a piece of string or rope to the foil. The thicker it is, the more drag. But it'll make it easier for you to balance & not climb so much.

Bill, I know handle high drops the board, but everyone I've taught instantly pulls the handle to their chest and arches their back when I say that. I used to say "look at the boat under the handle and chest to your knees", but people consistently pulled the handle in. So, touch your toes worked way better if I kept the speed low. When they understood keep the hands out front.......THEN......I was telling newbs to move the handle up and down to show what it does to the board height. I was teaching wake boarders, so you may have a different way to drill it into their heads, but this was the only way I could get them to visualize keeping the handle out front and arms straight.

Bill, I know handle high drops the board, but everyone I've taught instantly pulls the handle to their chest and arches their back when I say that. I used to say "look at the boat under the handle and chest to your knees", but people consistently pulled the handle in. So, touch your toes worked way better if I kept the speed low. When they understood keep the hands out front.......THEN......I was telling newbs to move the handle up and down to show what it does to the board height. I was teaching wake boarders, so you may have a different way to drill it into their heads, but this was the only way I could get them to visualize keeping the handle out front and arms straight.

So this guy Josh that you guys taught how to ride (Gary & Lawrence) in Wenatchee, and happens to live in Liberty Lake. He comes out with this really strange habit..... only his 3rd or 4th time out. Every time he rides & is getting into a situation where he thinks he's going to crash, he leans WAY forward & pushes the handle way down to his feet. Then the ski climbs all the way to the top of the foil & he potholes & does a faceplant. I was trippin out on the body position as he was crashing & asked him about it. He never could ride more than a 100' or so before he'd do it again & again. Finally he tells me this "chest to the knees & reach for your feet" phrase. I have never heard that before.

Anyway, broke him of that habit & now he's riding for 5 - 10 minute stretches without potholing & crashing in the fetal position all the time.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

Bill, he was one of those that was leaning back and T-Rex arms. Only way to keep him forward and arms straight was to teach him that. YOU did the next step that I teach, lift the arms up. So, it works.....sort of. He just needed the body position right first. He was doing was AFun is doing, sitting up and pulling arms in. Josh just needed the next step and you taught him that. Bet he is flying the foil nicely now. It's just a different approach to teach arms out and lean forward. Is it the right position, nope, but it gets them close.

Boy does this thread bring back memories, and aches and pains. It also reminds me that I have an 8-10 year old, basically brand new Sky Ski in a buddy's garage collecting dust. Rubber and foam parts are probably history.

I understand this. I really do. I will implement.

Boy does this thread bring back memories, and aches and pains. It also reminds me that I have an 8-10 year old, basically brand new Sky Ski in a buddy's garage collecting dust. Rubber and foam parts are probably history.

Thanks Deb

I understand this. I really do. I will implement.

But, like Bill and I have discussed, after you understand the arms out and lean forward:

hands up, foil goes down

hands down, foil goes up

this is ESPECIALLY true when you sit up and get into a normal seated position!!!!!!! You are sitting up and pulling the handle in.......this equals back flip, like you are already doing.

Hey Brian, Speaking of backflips has Jen rode away a gainer? She was so close at Pine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, got #3 on film. Gonna be at a conference next week, but will post it on foilforum as soon as I get back. Wait until you see it, board never even touches the water when she lands. Perfect fly away.

But, like Bill and I have discussed, after you understand the arms out and lean forward:

hands up, foil goes down

hands down, foil goes up

this is ESPECIALLY true when you sit up and get into a normal seated position!!!!!!! You are sitting up and pulling the handle in.......this equals back flip, like you are already doing.

Hands up means arms parallel to shoulders

Hands down means arms below shoulders....

Hands up means arms parallel to shoulders

Hands down means arms below shoulders....

Yup. Eventually, hands will always be about at your belly button and you adjust w foot pressure. Hands can go up above your head if you really want to get the foil down fast.

Holy crap Jason, that's the epitome of jump then flip. Separated those two elements WAY too much. People usually huck them, not stall them out like that. Congrats, there's a new trick!!!!

^^^ how did that feel

Not the greatest. But not too bad either. I tend to raise or extend my arm when I fall sideways. I should be tucking it in to protect my ribs. I did not get winded on that fall, kept riding for another 20 mins. That was my first air attempt after my first fly in and learning the air roll. I was a little jacked up to ride. As you progress to jumping and flipping remember under rotating is safer and easier to fix than hucking and over rotating.

Can't wait to see how your weekend goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk