Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Evolution of a Wakesurfer Gone Hydrofoiler....

Afun

I want to document my journey into the world of Hydrofoiling. I'm not saying that I am diving in head first, but I am giving it a chance. Peer Pressure has worked wonders on me. I am going to start by purchasing a rack for my boat in the near future. This way I could take my friends Foil on my boat with no problem. If I start getting up and riding for more than 10 seconds and I see progression without breaking my head....Maybe I will buy a Foil....Maybe

Besides...Riding a Foil Makes You A Super Ninja and Leaves A Long Lasting Impression On Everyone At The Lake...including the Cops

14778086169_42e5a1aceb.jpg

image by Afun2011, on Flickr

14778086229_18ce660ce6.jpg

14778093740_5ab5f8a962.jpg

14778225617_2af530b921.jpg

Good for you Afun! I feel like most people wake surf because they can't do anything else behind a boat. When my knees are too shot to wakeboard I definitely want to learn to foil (which is sadly coming sooner than I want).

Edit: the blanket statement doesn't apply to most on this forum!

Edited by Pnwrider
  • Like 2

Dude, don't wait until your knees give out...... get on a foil now and start punishing your back! Seriously though, I am sure you will love it. A ton more air with a lot less effort. Plus, being strapped in adds another level of excitement... Oh and you can save on gas by not having to ballast the boat out :)

• Like 2

Dude, don't wait until your knees give out...... get on a foil now and start punishing your back! Seriously though, I am sure you will love it. A ton more air with a lot less effort. Plus, being strapped in adds another level of excitement... Oh and you can save on gas by not having to ballast the boat out :)

I'm scared I'm gonna like it and have to shell out 2k for a sky ski. I figure that will be about what knee surgery will cost. Hence my current dilemma (insert smilie here).

Edited by Pnwrider

I'm scared I'm gonna like it and have to shell out 2k for a sky ski. I figure that will be about what knee surgery will cost. Hence my current dilemma (insert smilie here).

Find a used one and it's like money in the bank.

Nice shock tower, Mike. Hope it's treating your back right.

I was playing around at 18 mph. I put that ski together for a buddy and he was trying skidders so I had to see if it was even possible at that speed :)

I rode the shock seat a few times and have concluded once again that I really just like my evo :) I've changed and immediately adapted to various wings, boards, and tbars but the seat I just cannot change apparently.... It's so foreign to me...

On a side note - I've had some good relief after my last epidural injection. Now I can start getting after it again!

Alan only got to try a handful of times and our session got cut short due to rain. He was already progressing and got up a couple short times. Now that he has a taste (and realizes he won't die) he is hungry for more!

With all the money you have spent on surfboards, just wait until foil bug truly hits.... X-Air, AirChair, INXS, Xtreme, N2Orbit, SkySki...... It's not about how much you'll save on gas. Its how much of the saved gas money goes towards new ski upgrades.... The sky is the limit now.

You will not be disappointed.

• 1 month later...

Well....Well

My first ride this weekend I almost did a full rotation and landed on my head...5 seconds into my ride....FAIL

My second ride I immediately got on a cut and started accelerating like a bat out of hell....I got some lift...landed on my side....lost my air

Low Impact my a**! Hopefully Norrismike loads the video...

I have been thinking about that chair all day

Well....Well

My first ride this weekend I almost did a full rotation and landed on my head...5 seconds into my ride....FAIL

My second ride I immediately got on a cut and started accelerating like a bat out of hell....I got some lift...landed on my side....lost my air

Low Impact my a**! Hopefully Norrismike loads the video...

I have been thinking about that chair all day

Remember, the pain was only a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. Easy money........

As soon as you are up get your chest on your knees and arms fully extended. Act like you are paralyzed from the waist down, Do not push with your feet. If you are getting 1/2 inverted 5 secs into your ride then you are leaning back about 100x too much.

I pulled a slalom skier for the first time, I said its way less effort than a deep water slalom start. He still ended up upside down within 2 secs from leaning back so hard.

Tough sport to learn because there is nothing else like it. The first few seconds of smooth flying will get you hooked, it feels incredible...and then the 6 inches of height feels like 10 feet and you panic, push with your feet and go into a face plant/scorpion. Fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk