Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion Bimini Extension

db252

For those of you that have the Illusion bimini extension, how much is it, what do you like about it, and what don't you like about it?

IIRC, $300 more. It gives more full coverage to the lounge of an LSV. Unfortunately, it does not stow completely in the canvas boot cover that came with the LSV.

Mine was just abou the same price as Roger Q paid for his and I just got mine last week. My bimini and 2 foot extention are black with orange stripe down the center. I have an 06' V-ride and I just put the bimini on by itself this weekend. I will be putting the extention on tonight because the coverage on the normal bimini is not enough to cover the small kids. It looks awsome and when I get it all on this weekend I will take some pics for you to see. I think that the only problem with the extention on my boat is that I will have to duck down to get under it from the back because it will extend over the back seat and about 6 inches onto the back pad. I think it will be alot of covergae but I think I will keep it off for the dayts when all the guys go out for wakeboarding and wakesurfing. With you having a VLX you might have the little more room for the extension than I do but it would probably work great for the 23 foot boats and bigger! I love the way mine looks and I think for the times that mom and the kids are out it's worth the dough! IF MOM IS HAPPY, EVERY ONE IS HAPPY!!!!

Thanks to the both of you. That info is very helpful and pictures are always great. Is it something that is out for the day if installed or can be broken down easily and stowed? Any problem with rope lines when they are connected to the tower?

Thanks again and looking forward to the extra pics.

Thanks to the both of you. That info is very helpful and pictures are always great. Is it something that is out for the day if installed or can be broken down easily and stowed? Any problem with rope lines when they are connected to the tower?

From what I have heard from others, there is no issue with rope lines except for maybe when you are turing sharp to return the rope to the skier after a run or a fall. It does not stow fully in the original bimini top cover because the rear bow rail is much bigger. You have to remove the original rear bow rail and the two rear legs from bimini. The extension comes with two rails that connect together that go into the extension, making the rear bow rail longer. you have to loosen the set screws (allen wrench)from the original bow rail legs and attach those two legs to the new (longer)bow rail that is in the extention. Sounds like alot of work but it really is not. I think that it's not something that I would want to do every day but then again I do not take mine down at all. My boat stays under a boat house on a lift and I leave my bimini up all the time. I have stapled up a tarp to the boat house rafters above the boat lift area, so the mud dobbers or any other kind of buggs don't drop anything on the bimni or the boat cover. I am going to up my membership at the malibu crew this weekend so I can post some pictures. I will take alot of detailed pics this weekend to help you out. If you need help you can always e-mail me personally and I can give you my cell number and I can walk you through it if and when you get yours. Hope this helps

I just ordered mine from towerbiminis.com. They assured me that their exension will fit into the boot when collapsed, so hopefully no issues there. I think the total cost is $885 with the extension. 3-4 weeks lead time.

So, is it as easy to set up and take down as the regular bimini? I haven't played with mine yet, but it looks like I shouldn't mess with it just on day trips because you have to take the standard arms off and then add the extended arms. Am I off here, or is it easier than I'm making it out to be?

So, is it as easy to set up and take down as the regular bimini? I haven't played with mine yet, but it looks like I shouldn't mess with it just on day trips because you have to take the standard arms off and then add the extended arms. Am I off here, or is it easier than I'm making it out to be?

If you are only going out for two hours I would not worry about it but if you are going out from morning until the late evening I would do it. I did mine last night and it was not bad at all. Then again I did not have to take it down. I just installed it and it took about 10 minutes and not hard at all. I think that the take down time is the same it still is not bad for a day of Mom being happy!!! If I had to travel I would fold it up like normal with the extension still installed and if it does not fit in the cover all the way, put it in there as far as it will go and get another wratchet strap or two and strap it down good. That would be fine on the interstate for the whole trip. It is really not that hard, but if you had two people it would be alot easier and really take no time at all after you have done it once or twice! I will gets pics this weekend and post them after the holiday. Good luck

It can be taken up and down in about 5 minutes. I leave mine up, but it is in a garage with an 11' door right at the marina. I do cover the bimini when it is stored to keep it clean. It comes down to be towed on public roads..

that towerbimni.com price looks pretty good, and that is as long as I had to wait also.

Now I just have to order it. So many other things I can buy though.......damn this hell!

That's the only problem with BU's is that there are so many options that you can have and they are so exspensive that you can't get them all at once. I decided to buy racks, lights, and stereo stuff aftermarket to try to save a little dough. The NICE -RACKS that I got are awsome and they were quite a bit cheaper than the metcraft ones. I am being patient with trying to find the lights and the stereo I am doing this winter. The wife grumbles every time I buy or order another option. I told her all we had to do is sell all the pairs of shoes that she ownes and we could have afforded the VLX instead of the V-Ride!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I just have to order it. So many other things I can buy though.......damn this hell!

That's the only problem with BU's is that there are so many options that you can have and they are so exspensive that you can't get them all at once. I decided to buy racks, lights, and stereo stuff aftermarket to try to save a little dough. The NICE -RACKS that I got are awsome and they were quite a bit cheaper than the metcraft ones. I am being patient with trying to find the lights and the stereo I am doing this winter. The wife grumbles every time I buy or order another option. I told her all we had to do is sell all the pairs of shoes that she ownes and we could have afforded the VLX instead of the V-Ride!!!!!!!!!!!

Great call. I bet that went over well...

Great call. I bet that went over well...

so well we own a v-ride!!!! I give my wife a hard time but she is better than most when it comes to me buying as many toys as I do!