Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swapped in a PCM for my Mercruiser= Happy Camper!

turbophil

Just as the title says. This last Sunday I spent about 5 hours swapping engines in my old '95 Sun Setter. I went from the stock 400hour TBI EFI Mercruiser 350 (265 horse and a rod knock) to a new PCM Excaliber 330 horse multi port engine (same engine correct craft uses). What a difference! Besides being smoother I can hit 5,000 rpms with the stock 13x13 prop (which I know is not a great prop) where I could only pull about 4200 rpms before. I know you new boat owners are running 330 horse engines from factory, but the big bump in power over a weekend really make one appreciate the extra power!

I haven't read about anyone doing this kind of work on the forum, but if you're looking down the barrell of serious engine problems, I wouldn't hesitate doing the work yourself (provided you have some mechanical ability;) ). It litterally took the two of us just 5 hours from removing the first screw on the engine cover to putting the last one back in. That included a trip to Chipotle and another to the gas station for soda/beer ;) Outside of a couple wrenches, the only really unique tool required is a hoist that will lift the engine and tranny over the boat. We have a trolly hoist hanging from the ceiling I-beam.

Next I need to figure what the best prop for this setup is. I feel like I'm over powering the stock prop. Despite picking up a verified 800 rpms, I only picked up 2 mph via GPS speedo. 43.8 mph. Surely the new XMP or Acme props would be a nice upgrade??? Any suggestions?

Looking forward to a great season if I can just steer clear of the hospital Crazy.gif

Best,

Phil

Edited by turbophil

I have the Mercruiser on my '97 Response with a left hand spin. I was under the impression that most PCM's were set up as RH. Did you have to order the engine as a counter spin model? Did you change the tranny as well ?

Were you able to re-use the existing transmission?

You bet. There are only two main trannies used in the direct drive boats and most are Borg Warner Velvet Drives. You simply specify which one you have when buying the engine and the engine supplier will send it with correct bell housing. These boat engines are self contained units. It's like removing a water pump and putting a new and imporved one its place. Unbolt the old one, and bolt in the new one.

I have the Mercruiser on my '97 Response with a left hand spin. I was under the impression that most PCM's were set up as RH. Did you have to order the engine as a counter spin model? Did you change the tranny as well ?

The std rotation for PCM is LH so there's no problem there.

Did the alignment of the new engine pose any challenges, and if so how did you handle it?

Those PCM Excaliber's are sweet looking engines.

Yes, the engine looks as great as it runs. In my research for engine swaps, they seem to be the premier brand. Obviously a subjective issue, but that was my take on it and I started with a blank sheet of paper so-to-speak.

No problems on alignment when I used the *stock* motor mounts. The PCM engine mounts are nicer than my stock mercruiser mounts, but they did sit the engine up too high.

So I'll be Ebaying the the new mounts.

Since they're both GM platforms, theings like motor mounts are 100% interchangable...

Sweet! Sounds like a fun and rewarding project! Did/Do you have fuel injection/computer or was it and is the new one still carb? Just wondering how you handled fuel delivery? Thanks.

Sweet! Sounds like a fun and rewarding project! Did/Do you have fuel injection/computer or was it and is the new one still carb? Just wondering how you handled fuel delivery? Thanks.

THe computer, fuel pump, all wires, everything come with and are mounted on the new engine. The whole thing is modular. My old engine was EFI as well and it was all self contained too. The only thing I had to do was run a fuel return line to the tank. My stock EFI engine somehow or another got by without a fuel return line???

So we removed the 4 engine mount nuts and unhooked the exhaust, control cables, prop shaft, and unplugged wire harness. Pulled motor. Unbolted tranny from old motor, bolt tranny to new motor. Hooked new motor to hoist, lift and drop on to old motor mounts. Plug in harness, plug in fuel lines, hook up control cables and exhaust. Align prop shaft. Hook battery back up. Start. Smile!

How much for the new mill?

About $50,000 less than a new boat or 6 grand ROFL.gif

A pretty penny for sure, but it replaces nearly every consumable part on the boat. Only thing left is the tranny, and they are pretty bullet proof, cheap, and simple...

THe computer, fuel pump, all wires, everything come with and are mounted on the new engine. The whole thing is modular. My old engine was EFI as well and it was all self contained too. The only thing I had to do was run a fuel return line to the tank. My stock EFI engine somehow or another got by without a fuel return line???

So we removed the 4 engine mount nuts and unhooked the exhaust, control cables, prop shaft, and unplugged wire harness. Pulled motor. Unbolted tranny from old motor, bolt tranny to new motor. Hooked new motor to hoist, lift and drop on to old motor mounts. Plug in harness, plug in fuel lines, hook up control cables and exhaust. Align prop shaft. Hook battery back up. Start. Smile!

Sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Got any pics?

I went the new long block route when my Monsoon 320 took a dump. Since it was MPI already, I saved a bunch of cash by swapping over my existing fuel/ intake. A little more work than a complete swap but still not too bad. New marinized long block was ~$2300 shipped to a local terminal on a skid.

I went the new long block route when my Monsoon 320 took a dump. Since it was MPI already, I saved a bunch of cash by swapping over my existing fuel/ intake. A little more work than a complete swap but still not too bad. New marinized long block was ~$2300 shipped to a local terminal on a skid.

Good to see another grease monkey on the forum :)

Now that my boat powertrain is up to modern technology, I hope to only do a long block next time I lose an engine...hopefully a long time from now!