Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Routine maintance 06 VLX

Cry.gif These questions will just bring tears to your eyes they are so basic. I have read all the different posts and I am not sure what does and does not apply to my boat/engine. I enjoy performing minor maintenance duties myself. I have a 2006 VLX with the Monsoon (10 hrs on her). Here are the questions:

1. What engine do I really have? (the engine manual says V8- Monsoon???-Is this a std 350)

2. Will any fuel filter work? Is a bigger one better?

3. Will a NAPA Gold 1069 oil filter work on this engine?

4. I was planning on using Chevy Delo 400 15W40 engine oil--sound good?

The local dealer is of little help. There is a 1 month minimum wait for any maint. The summer is way to short to waste time and not use the boat.

I agree with you on our service department. They quoted me the 1st week of june 2 weeks ago. Needless to say I did the first service myself. It's pretty easy to do. I have the suck pump that you will need to change the oil and transmission oil. Your more than welcome to use it just let me know. Your in south Reno, right? The hardest part of the whole thing is removing the oil filter in the transmission. You won't have to replace it but it is suggested to clean it and reinstall it. I got my oil filter from Cope and Delo 15w40 should be fine for the engine oil. If you want to change the filter with the same that the factory used just go to Kragen they carry the Pennzoil filters.

So on this same subject my dealer told me I could use Mercruiser Marine engine oil

SAE-25W-40 "Engineered specially for marine 4 cycle sterndrive and inboard engines" (Off the label) Would you use it or stick with 15W40 like Delo even though it's not specifically designed for marine motors.

Cry.gif These questions will just bring tears to your eyes they are so basic. I have read all the different posts and I am not sure what does and does not apply to my boat/engine. I enjoy performing minor maintenance duties myself. I have a 2006 VLX with the Monsoon (10 hrs on her). Here are the questions:

1. What engine do I really have? (the engine manual says V8- Monsoon???-Is this a std 350)

Yes, the Monsoon 340 is a GM 350 block.

2. Will any fuel filter work? Is a bigger one better?

Wix 30299 filter. Wix also makes them for Napa, called a 3029.

3. Will a NAPA Gold 1069 oil filter work on this engine?

Not sure what crosses over, but the Pennzoil filter is a PZ-3.

4. I was planning on using Chevy Delo 400 15W40 engine oil--sound good?

We use Pennzoil Marine 15w-40. As mentioned in other threads, about any 15w-40 (diesel oil) will work.

Hope that helps.

Peter