Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Air Sling

Ronnie

This new tow attachment is in the works and is being tested in the foil community. Reports of +5' more air with it. It's fully adjustable by pressure. It actually pre-loads the line before it launches you. Redefines the term "Getting Pop".

Can't see the wakeboarding community doing anything with it. We go out of our way to be able to control our own pop. Non stretch ropes are the perfect example of control and controlled pop. If you have a really good driver then they already know to tap the gas when you hit the wake.

I can see the foil guys benefiting from such a device, half of them use slalom ropes anyways...

Can't see the wakeboarding community doing anything with it.  We go out of our way to be able to control our own pop.  Non stretch ropes are the perfect example of control and controlled pop.  If you have a really good driver then they already know to tap the gas when you hit the wake.

I can see the foil guys benefiting from such a device, half of them use slalom ropes anyways...

A question & answer from one of the R&D guys testing it.:

Q. So what makes the airsling different than using a ski line with some

stretch in it?

Wouldn't a springy line do the same thing at a considerably lower cost?

A. Good question. The concept is the same as cable skiing. I

haven't spent a lot of time on a stretchy rope but I have spent

a lot of time behind the air sling. In a nut shell you load the line

before take off, as you leave the water the recoil from the air

sling propels you higher. Its a gradual pop. On a big front flip

you can feel it pulling you up. Many of the top wakeboarders

have tried it an like it. Darin made the comment that it makes

raleys easier.

Darin made the comment that it makes

raleys easier.

I don't really want to knock it until I tried it, but for Darin to say that, sounds more like he was trying to be nice. A raley is on of the few tricks that is balls out load the line unitl you hit the wake and you let the boat pull you through the rest of the trick. I could see this making a raley easier, you hang on with both hands the enitre time and there is little chance of it pulling you off balance on a raley. I really can't see it useful on many tricks. Rotational tricks it would suck big time - pulling the handle away from you. Most inverts may or may not help, would be a big learning curve to get used to it. Raley based tricks and just jumping w2w big air it could help. Just my 2 cents... will be interesting to see/try.

Speaking of big air, what ever happened to the stiffy tower?

The Stiffy...that was one for the books. It would suck on my lake, too many bridges.

From what I can gather, the Air Sling was invented by and for the foil guys. I would like to try it once or twice.

I just wonder how our Hook & loop rope releases would work with it.

I want to try one boarding. I am a little suspicious like aneal that many tricks involving rotation or not having the line loaded would be pretty difficult on that thing. I bet you could get some monster air though on a normal wake jump or a raley. Perhaps wakeboarders will just lock out the spring factor and just utilize the extra height.

Us hydrofoilers probably don't need the extra air, but maybe the wakeboarders could use some extra pop. :)

wonder how that would affect a slalom skier? I'm visualizing faceplants even as I type this. Ouch