Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Walk-thru tansom

Web

I was noticing a push by boat manufacturers to design them with the walk thru transom.

I personally dont like it at all. For me, the best part of having a V drive is the way my VLX rear seat wraps all the way around, with no missing part for the walk thru.

I was wondering what others think of the design?

Yea, on the boats I've ridden in with the walkthru, it adds no value. It isn't any easier than walking (or schoochin) across the sun pad, plus you loose at least one seat, and the storage under the walkthru is reduced..

Not to mention it is fugly Yes.gif

I think the walk through idea is a joke. Takes up storage space and generally takes up a seat as well. The 25LSV is a good combo approach. But frankly, I think Mastercraft with the X45 has nailed it.

It would be great to have a permanent walk area that people kept on, and didn't thrash the vinyl.

Make a walkable area right down the middle of the sun pad, over the engine. They've added tracktop to make it easy to walk on. And the seat in the wrap around has velcro so you can take it on/off easily.

This looked good and has a great useability approach.

post-9-1114626405_thumb.jpg

I like them and almost bought a Centurion Avalanche because of it. Even recently at a boat show my wife and I still like the layout of the Avalanche. Also, the reason we ended up with an XTI over a VLX. We did not like the crawl over the back to the platform. KC

Edited by KCMOTOXXX
88Skier Posted Today, 12:47 PM

It's all about making these boats friendlier to the masses.

True, and who can blame the inboard manufacturers. The days of selling 300-500 boats a year seem like ancient history now.

Fact is, for many people the line bewteen an I/O and a big inboard is very fine. I have a friend that just opted for a 23' Chapparral over a LSV. The boat has all the amenities of the inboard (tower, ballast, heater/shower, Perfect Pass, a huge swim step that essentially places the prop under the boat from a safety perspective) with a superior rough water ride thanks largely to the ability to adjust trim.

edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot the reason this came to mind, it also has a well thought out walk through transom.

Edited by John I.

I prefer the seating/storage of the full sunpad. I had a boat with a walk thru transom and we had to adjust for the 'missing' weight too on that side.

Seems many of the ladies like the walk thru so they don't have to crawl over the back.

Four winns does a good job with it on their 230 and 250, the middle of the sundeck is on hinges so you open it and can walk on it, and then close it for the full sundeck. Very nice approach.

The only reason I don't like crawling over the upholstery is because I'm afraid of hurting it. I agree with Andy, they need to find a better way for that rear deck area, something more durable without cheapening the feel (I know, a hard combo to get right). I don't care for the walk through myself, it just screams of a fishing boat to me.

The upholstery on my Vdrive seems to be holding up fine. But no board goes fins down on the sundeck and nobody ever walks on it. We all crawl over it so that way the weight is spread around a bit. IMHO a walk thru trasom is a WOM.

My dad had a Ski Ray by Sea Ray inboard that had a lowered section for easy access to the platform. The center rear cushion was removeable, provided the best access to the platform of any comp boat I've been in...great design.

My dad now has a 24' Cobalt with the walk thru in the transom. I kind of thought it was goofy at first, looked odd being offset to the drivers side. After watching my parents (in their early 60's now) get board the boat from the dock with complete ease, I now see the logic behind it. Little off track here and been mentioned before, but the fit / finish / construction of that Cobalt is the nicest of any boat I've been in...period.

I don't care for them either. Although if Malibu made the VLX with one I would own it. The CFO thinks they are great. She was leaning toward the Nautique 211 and 226 just for that reason. She finally saw the light. ROFL.gif