Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie Checking and needing help!!

Hey guys I love the site. I just bought a new to me 1993 Sunsetter with under 300 hrs. It is a beauty. I have already run into my first maintenance question.

My previous boat was a Moomba Boomerang with a PCM (Ford) motor. I bought a powered pump to drain the engine oil. It went right down the dipstick tube and worked like a champ. I went out on Saturday to change the oil on the Sunsetter and nothing went right!!!!

There is no way to get oil out of the dipstick tube. I went on line to try and find a Mercruiser magnum 350 manual...no luck there either. I was fising around the engine compartment and found what looked to be an oil drain plug right above the oil filter. I got that off, put my pump line down and was not able to get any oil out....although there was oil on the line.

My question is: How the heck do I drain the oil on a Mercruiser engine???

I also have not figured out how to post a photo on this site yet??

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kyle - Lake Norman, NC

the newer boats have a hose threaded into the oil pan drain hole, it's normally long enough to reach the hull drain opening. Maybe you can make something up or buy one from the dealer or get one of those oil change pump things from Overtones.

my '89 with a mercruiser 350 had a garden hose fitting on the dipstick tube. does yours not have that? I just put a female garden hose onto a short tube, then attached that to my pump. worked decent. didn't get 100% out, but close enough. don't pull the plug out of the pan, that just makes a huge mess. unless it's after you pull what you can out the dipstick and it's to install the valve and hose like bigd was talking about for future use.

Hey guys I love the site. I just bought a new to me 1993 Sunsetter with under 300 hrs. It is a beauty. I have already run into my first maintenance question.

My previous boat was a Moomba Boomerang with a PCM (Ford) motor. I bought a powered pump to drain the engine oil. It went right down the dipstick tube and worked like a champ. I went out on Saturday to change the oil on the Sunsetter and nothing went right!!!!

There is no way to get oil out of the dipstick tube. I went on line to try and find a Mercruiser magnum 350 manual...no luck there either. I was fising around the engine compartment and found what looked to be an oil drain plug right above the oil filter. I got that off, put my pump line down and was not able to get any oil out....although there was oil on the line.

My question is: How the heck do I drain the oil on a Mercruiser engine???

I also have not figured out how to post a photo on this site yet??

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kyle - Lake Norman, NC

Kyle,

Welcome to the site! This link explains what features are provided for certain membership levels. You can link to other sites with photos for without a membership fee. Feel free to PM or email me if you have any further questions.