Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Rims and Tires for B'day`

Headhunter 2317

Special thanks go out to Mike in N. Cal for his insight to the possible

"catostrophic failure" that would be possible on old rims.

Hook, line, and sinker.......

Special thanks go out to Mike in N. Cal for his insight to the possible

"catostrophic failure" that would be possible on old rims. 

Hook, line, and sinker.......

:blush: .......... :lol:

Hey, now that's a smilie we could use....a little fisherman with rod bent over line going out... :)

What tire did you buy?

I've been looking for new tires since I had two blowouts on the way home from Havasu last summer(yes in the same trip). One near Ludlow(1/8 of a mile before the exit) and one near Delano(while on the lovely highway 99). The Carlise radial tires were the originals on an '02 purchase. Trailering on a dual axle Extreme.

I've done the research and it seems like I can find bad news on any make. Just curious about your choice because I have a day off on Friday and need to make up my mind.

Goodyear Marathons are the ones to go with.

I've had them for over 14 years on various trailers. Not to say they never went flat but Goodyear did more than I ever asked.

They replaced a 10 year old tire for $20.

Boomer,

80 bucks in cheap.  The stock steel ones are 40ish.

$80 a wheel is dirt cheap to me, heh. I come from the realm of Z06 Vettes, where wheels can run $3500 or more a set.

$400/ea. is about average, so $80, damn, I really can dig that, because I could afford it! (I can't afford $3500, lol.)

I had two blow out last year on the way home from Havasu as will!!! When I did me research to by new Maxxis use the resounding choice. My understanding is that Carlise are made by Goodyear.

Kelly

Headhunter 2317 Posted Today, 12:40 PM

Goodyear Marathon 225/75/15

Bigger wheel, and wider tire, than my Extreme. If I'm not mistaken, mine are 215-75R14.

( Also the victim of double blow outs - one coming home from Havasu and one taking the trailer to Extreme to repair the damage from the first blow out.)

Bigger wheel, and wider tire, than my Extreme. If I'm not mistaken, mine are 215-75R14.

( Also the victim of double blow outs - one coming home from Havasu and one taking the trailer to Extreme to repair the damage from the first blow out.)

I have the 215-75R14 tires. Fortunately, in my case there was no damage to the Extreme.

John I. - what brand of tire? How old were they when they blew out?

J_Gled Posted Today, 05:34 PM

John I. - what brand of tire? How old were they when they blew out?

Carlisle. Happened in 2003, on 2001 trailer/tires. Both blow outs were rear tires which caught the trailing edge of the fenders and munched them. Tread separation in both cases. Goodyear paid for damages as they manufactured Carlisle branded radials for a few years. No longer the case from what Carlisle rep. told me.

Glad I am going with the Goodyear. I think the blowouts that you guys had around Havasu might have been due to the heat too wouldn't you think?

I rarely tow any farther than the 59 miles from storage to the house. It's only 3 miles to the ramp from the storage. That makes for a LOT less wear and tear on the truck and the trailer.