Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing billet logo on Illusion

Broke Amigo

How in the world do you get the billet logo off the bottom of the tower? I have the tower off the boat and see that it is bolted into the tower. Does the outside plate of the billet logo just pop off so you can access the bolts?

As per my other post, the billet pieces are tapped (have threaded holes int he back) and they are through bolted from the inside of the tower. If you fold you tower down, you will be able to see, access, and remove the nut/bolt combination holding them on.

JZ

As per my other post, the billet pieces are tapped (have threaded holes int he back) and they are through bolted from the inside of the tower. If you fold you tower down, you will be able to see, access, and remove the nut/bolt combination holding them on.

JZ

I have the tower off the boat and taking it to get powdercoated. Here is a pic of the foot of the tower and there aren't any nuts on the inside? Shocking.gif Wonder what could be holding it on?

DSC02689.jpg

dayum.

Only thing I can figure is they have it epoxied on. I cannot get the thing to budge at all Mad.gif Might just see if they can tape it off somehow and not mess it up.

You said you were having it powdercoated, right? They're gonna bead or sand blast it which is gonna wreck it.

Those aren't studs, are they? Or, is there any chance the center of the logo can pop out and underneath is where you might find the heads to those screws? Man, you got me.

You said you were having it powdercoated, right? They're gonna bead or sand blast it which is gonna wreck it.

Those aren't studs, are they? Or, is there any chance the center of the logo can pop out and underneath is where you might find the heads to those screws? Man, you got me.

I've tried to pry off the logo and no luck. Feels like its about to break. The tower doesn't have any blemishes or marks and they think we can just put a coat right on top.

That'll be the first time I've ever heard of "a coat on top"

What's my powdercoater been charging me blast time for?

Edited by Pistol Pete
That'll be the first time I've ever heard of "a coat on top"

What's my powdercoater been charging me blast time for?

Buddy of mine did it with his tower and it turned out just fine.

Just talked to the service guy at the dealership and found out they are glued on! Mad.gif

Edited by jpeavytx

They aren't glued on! I just removed mine!! Those threads you see sticking out are the things holding them on. Mine had nylock nuts on them, but perhaps they are now tapping the holes in theower. Grab the back of thuse nuts with some needle-nose pliers and loosen them. They will come out...

JZ

I've yet to see a pair that was glued on. As was mentioned before, those studs you see are threaded into the back of the logo. Typically they have a nut on them inside the tower. Real pain to get to!! I've had to replace a couple sets. If they are glued on, maybe it's a CA plant thing. I know the boats from the TN plant aren't glued on.

mine were glued on with silicone. Pried them off very carefully with a thin putty knife.

By the way I would not coat over the top of the current powder coat. The factory coating is very thick to cover up the irregularities from casting. When powder is sprayed it clings due to the electric charge run though the metal. You will get an inconsistent charge though all of that powdercoat and that could give you a substandard finish.

When I did mine I had it stripped. I then worked it over with a DA sander and filled some areas with High HEat Bondo.

I sent it to powder coat. They put on a seal coat to stop outgassing, a base coat of red, and clear over the top.

Edited by painterdrew