Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

STE (Silent Tip Exhaust) by Hydro Power

stork

We are absolutely thrilled with our '06 WS LSV. We spent a lot of time on demo rides in the various boats and are certain we made the right decision for our family. I am thrilled with the Hammerhead engine, I notice a bit more pull than the Monsoon (maybe its my imagination, but I don't think so). One of the best options we ordered was the Silent Tip Exhaust. It significantly reduces the noise in the cabin (at idle and at speed). It still sounds good, it's just quieter. My wife wanted a "quiet" motor and last year I was out in 3 different boats with my decibel-meter to compare noise readings. I did not get readings in the Hammerhead or even with the STE but it sure sounds quieter to me and my wife. The salesman who delivered our LSV on the water even commented on how it seemed quieter when run in the shop than their demo boats without STE. It also comes with chrome turn-down exhaust pipes--they look good with the Power Wedge.

I have the STE's in my 247 8.1L. They sound great. Very quiet compared to earlier versions.

Your right on the 383 in the LSV. It is awesome. That was one of the best performing boats I've owned. Congrats!

STE's are the way to go, for sure. When I puchased my WS I just had the flaps but after riding behind the boat I noticed the engine noise drowning in with the music. So I ordered some up and installed them. It made a world of difference in and behind the boat.

3-3.5 hours on a Response or RLXi.

On a V-drive? Ummm....maybe 1.5? Hardest part will be pulling off the hose and then bending it back up to push back on.

Peter. :)

On a V-drive? Ummm....maybe 1.5? Hardest part will be pulling off the hose and then bending it back up to push back on.

V-drive: yea thats about right 1.5 hours. Just unscrew the straps on the elbow and remove it temporarly. Hardest part in my opinion is breaking the silicone seal from the factory. Scariest part is drilling new holes through the hull of the boat.

I have the STE's in my 247 8.1L. They sound great. Very quiet compared to earlier versions.

Your right on the 383 in the LSV. It is awesome. That was one of the best performing boats I've owned. Congrats!

Miss her already Innocent.gifCrazy.gif

V-drive: yea thats about right 1.5 hours. Just unscrew the straps on the elbow and remove it temporarly. Hardest part in my opinion is breaking the silicone seal from the factory. Scariest part is drilling new holes through the hull of the boat.

What new holes do you have to drill? I ordered a set to replace the flaps and hope to have them before we leave for memorial day weekend. My brother-in-laws can help me install them. I need to know what tools to have on hand though. If I have to drill an even bigger hole in the transom for those tips, then it sounds like a pretty specialized saw bit. Details please!!!

I'll take some before and after dB measurements from different places on my '01 Sunsetter VLX for y'all to compare.

What new holes do you have to drill? I ordered a set to replace the flaps and hope to have them before we leave for memorial day weekend. My brother-in-laws can help me install them. I need to know what tools to have on hand though. If I have to drill an even bigger hole in the transom for those tips, then it sounds like a pretty specialized saw bit. Details please!!!

I'll take some before and after dB measurements from different places on my '01 Sunsetter VLX for y'all to compare.

You have to drill holes where the screws go for the new STE's. The holes from the mount that you are removing don't line up. Just fill them with the same silicone you are using to mount the new tips.

You have to drill holes where the screws go for the new STE's. The holes from the mount that you are removing don't line up. Just fill them with the same silicone you are using to mount the new tips.

what he said, not as bad as it sounds. Factory flaps have four screws new STE's only have three two on top and on in the bottom

Quote Slurpee

just following up, how did the install go and is there a noticeable difference in noise level?

Edited by Cervelo

instead of installing STE's, has anyone tried replacing the large "silent rider" exhaust on their boat with a better muffler to make the boat quieter? why can't my boat be as quiet as my car?

Compare apples to apples.

Pushing your VLX through the water is like a pickup truck pulling a trailer uphill at 70 mph.....all day long.

How quiet is the truck while it's doing that?

Just want to put in my 2 cents....

I have a 2006 RLXi - after a 2003, 2004 & 2005 RLXi, so I have a pretty good reference point.

Each of the others had Silent Riders. This year we ordered it with Silent Riders and added in line STE's after it arrived. It is absolutely quieter at all speeds while anywhere in the boat. Not quite a car, but closer than I ever would have thought. A real world reference is that the driver could always hear conversations from the back seat over the engine while under way. However, the back seat could never hear the driver. Now the driver can hear everything loud and clear, and those in the back can hear the driver.

As far as noise level for skiers goes, I really don't know yet. The water is just about 60 degrees. I did ski the other day but was too busy worrying about being cold (no wet or dry suit) to pay attention to the noise level.

In any event, this is one of the best bang for the buck things you can do to a boat - IMHO.

I did ski the other day but was too busy worrying about being cold (no wet or dry suit). . .In any event, this is one of the best bang for the buck things you can do to a boat - IMHO.

Will, the second-best bang for your buck is a drysuit. Biggrin.gif I bet I know somebody who could hook you up with one. . .

I did ski the other day but was too busy worrying about being cold (no wet or dry suit). . .In any event, this is one of the best bang for the buck things you can do to a boat - IMHO.

Will, the second-best bang for your buck is a drysuit. Biggrin.gif I bet I know somebody who could hook you up with one. . .

No.gif I think I have heard that before...... My take is that it would extend my season by about 2 weeks on each end. Not worth the investment IMHO.....

No.gif I think I have heard that before...... My take is that it would extend my season by about 2 weeks on each end. Not worth the investment IMHO.....

Depends on when your season ends. For me, it's November. . . Shocking.gif

Slurpee forgot the dB meter when we went out of town over memorial day, but we did install the tips on our '01 Sunsetter VLX that already has silent riders. Inside the cabin it was a little quieter at all speeds. Not as profound as we hoped, but noticeable. Most important to me was that the exhaust fumes weren't as strong on the platform at idle. I normally can't stand to be back there. However, there was a bigger improvement than we expected behind the boat while skiing. Now we are really really happy with the new tower speakers. :)

Actually little Mr. Whistler, your season never ends. You just choose to use reasons out of your control as an excuse. :)Tease2.gif