Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water cop edumukashun

krakdaddie

we have been very lucky up to this past weekend to be able to surf w/out any troubles from the water cops...the reign has ended...we avoided getting a ticket...but the cop looked all over his laminated sheet of laws and couldn’t find anything...im glad he didn’t have a sharpie or else one would have appeared...apparently on "His Lake" what we were doing is unsafe...the only excuse he could come up with is that the boat was going to suck the rider under...quickly disputed he only had the classic response "its unsafe and on My Lake it's not allowed"...and this guy knows all about safety...i think i read in the boating laws somewhere that jet skiers are encourage to pass 30ft in front of a boat pulling a rider...im sure its in the books cause he wouldn’t put himself and our passenger/rider in danger would he?

anyways...we are doing some research today to put together some letters and if anyone here has had to do this before would you be willing to share some of your data on the general safety of the sport etc?

-krak

Got a new cop on Lake Ray Roberts? Tought ya'll kept all the locals happy with plenty of food and eye candy. We had one keeping a close eye on us on Saturday, kept me on my toes.

Got a new cop on Lake Ray Roberts? Tought ya'll kept all the locals happy with plenty of food and eye candy. We had one keeping a close eye on us on Saturday, kept me on my toes.

Our house on the lake is right by a bridge that is no wake underneath. It's well marked, apparently it's hard for a lot of boaters to read the no wake sign. Well the bridge is on a long man made finger, so the cops sit just off to the side and wait for the boaters to plow through there. It's fun to sit on the dock and watch this. Every so often you'll see guys getting arrested (probably DUI) and have their boats towed back for them.

They haven't said anything about surfing and stuff yet.

this one hasnt been social enough to feed....plus hes on a jetski so he cant exactly eat on the job like the ones in the boats...and as far as why the eyecandy didnt keep him happy...*cough*brokeback?*cough*...im not sure

-krak

this one hasnt been social enough to feed....plus hes on a jetski so he cant exactly eat on the job like the ones in the boats...and as far as why the eyecandy didnt keep him happy...*cough*brokeback?*cough*...im not sure

-krak

Well, you were there right?? Should have been enough.

-krak

Well, you were there right?? Should have been enough.

maybe it was caleb he wanted ;)

-krak

The NASBLA (National Association of State Boating Law Administrators) has made provisions in its rules to allow " the popular new sport of wake surfing"

They did this removing the - no tow rope less than 20ft - rule.

And defining teak surfing and body surfing.

The Texas Water Safety Act recognizes NASBLA rules as standards.

Now the problem is getting this deputy to recognize rules and laws made by folks other than him. I knew that Texas was a Republic 170 years ago but not a dictatorship.

The NASBLA (National Association of State Boating Law Administrators) has made provisions in its rules to allow " the popular new sport of wake surfing"

Now the problem is getting this deputy to recognize rules and laws made by folks other than him. I knew that Texas was a Republic 170 years ago but not a dictatorship.

You have a link to the information?

i will send you the .pdf ken....check your email in 5 mins

-krak

i will send you the .pdf ken....check your email in 5 mins

-krak

here is a link to it also

http://www.nasbla.org/pdf/Model%20Acts/new...rts%2092105.pdf

-krak

Mad.gif We move to TX to go to the lake more, and now we have surf issues... Mad.gif

We'll have these issues solved by this weekend.

Just one deputy that thinks he can make up laws.

One thing that hasn't been brought up regarding wakesurfing if that if the Water PO PO passes by you wakesurfing, some dumb@ss is going to want to do it behind their OB or I/O. Then when they get stopped, their gonna wine "you let them do it why can't we".

I could be wrong and I hope I am, but any law permitting wakesurfing probably doesn't differentiate between the outdrive of the vessel.

I would be willing to bet a dollar to a donut that it is only a matter of time before some piehole surfing behind an outboard gets half face mulched off in a fall. There will be a great hew and cry from the public, lawsuits (hey, gotta blame someone for my stupidity it's the American way don'tcha know) and wakesurfing will be declared illegal.

As a side note, NASBLA offered a online boater safety course through the West Marine web link. You could print out a certificate upon successfully passing their test. However, their certificate is not recognized in certain states, my state of Michigan being one of them. It was very informative and I would recommend to all. At the time I took the test last year, I was considering going out to the Marine Unit for my department and wanted to have some idea as to what I was talking about when dealing with the public.

One thing that hasn't been brought up regarding wakesurfing if that if the Water PO PO passes by you wakesurfing, some dumb@ss is going to want to do it behind their OB or I/O. Then when they get stopped, their gonna wine "you let them do it why can't we".

I could be wrong and I hope I am, but any law permitting wakesurfing probably doesn't differentiate between the outdrive of the vessel.

I would be willing to bet a dollar to a donut that it is only a matter of time before some piehole surfing behind an outboard gets half face mulched off in a fall. There will be a great hew and cry from the public, lawsuits (hey, gotta blame someone for my stupidity it's the American way don'tcha know) and wakesurfing will be declared illegal.

As a side note, NASBLA offered a online boater safety course through the West Marine web link. You could print out a certificate upon successfully passing their test. However, their certificate is not recognized in certain states, my state of Michigan being one of them. It was very informative and I would recommend to all. At the time I took the test last year, I was considering going out to the Marine Unit for my department and wanted to have some idea as to what I was talking about when dealing with the public.

Good point, it will happen at some point. The first wakesurfer that I ever saw was behind an outboard probably 5 or 6 years ago, & the word is that my uncle used to do it when I was small behind our outboards. I wouldn't even consider it, but skistud's right, some knucklehead will do this behind an outboard or i/o then the caca will hit the fan.

Maybe all the injured or dead flying tubers will keep them busy and out of the hair of good law abiding wake surfing citizens.

I'm sure if you went to the S/O and had a talk with the commander of the water division he might see it your way. Thats what I did a few years ago in Mariposa County here in Cali. The Sheriff was actullay not real happy that his deputy was making new law rather than enforcing existing law.

Edited by LS-One
I'm sure if you went to the S/O and had a talk with the commander of the water division he might see it your way. Thats what I did a few years ago in Mariposa County here in Cali. The Sheriff was actullay not real happy that his deputy was making new law rather than enforcing existing law.

what documentation about the safety of the sport did you provide if any? kinda lookin for pointers for what has worked and what hasnt.

-krak

-krak

i think i saw him last saturday. he came out of nowhere and was right on me when we were idling into the ramp at the state park.

that sucks

At that time I took no documentation with me, I explained wht we doing and the diffierence between it and teak surfing.

So another one died on Lewisville on Sunday. I don't quite understand why someone would have 4 people on a jetski - Mom and one kid without any lifejacket.

Maybe the new deputy needs to be transfered to Lewisville. Whats his name by the way? We will have to make one up. hmm.

So another one died on Lewisville on Sunday. I don't quite understand why someone would have 4 people on a jetski - Mom and one kid without any lifejacket.

Maybe the new deputy needs to be transfered to Lewisville. Whats his name by the way? We will have to make one up. hmm.

Deputy Brian Nelson

-krak