Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Knew this was coming....

aneal000

I can't really say I'm surprised....

I don't think they will make these more than this year. Unfortunately I don't think this is going to be an isolted incident. I've already heard of broken ribs and shoulders. I'll stick to my super mable!!!!

But that sucks that they won't make anymore. I think people should be in control of their own destiny. Guns kill, cars kill, baseball bats kill. Everything around us can kill us, should we ban everything on the planet that may potentially be dangerous.

I agree with you some politician will outlaw them just like 3-wheeled ATV's and other fun but dangerous activities. As long as the Kite Tube manufacturer properly explains the risks, it should be up to us whether or not we choose to try such a thing.

I would try it in a heartbeat!

Yeah,

It seems that the rider doesn't always have total control of the flight. It seems that a slight wind gust or bump to the throttle or the riders body being in the wrong position for a moment can cause a disaster.

Some things are just dangerous... like lawn darts, remember those?

That's where I learned my sword-swallow trick. It's just the fins I couldn't get past. Or would those be wings, Tracie??? Crazy.gif

Man, that brings back memories...when I was about 8 years old, me and my cousin would see how high we could throw those things (forget aiming at the little circle targets they came with)...problem was, to get maximum height we were throwing them straight up in the air...and of course they were coming straight back down at us Crazy.gif

Edited by rts

Well if anyone wants one they better buy em quick. I can already see a lot of companies not carrying them anymore for liablity reasons. I'd like to try it but not for near 500 bucks or whateve they are.

Sorry, I missed the last discussion.

Lawn darts are (were) awesome! We used to take and bend over the plastic fins so they would spin when you would throw them (straight up in the air) :)

As long as the Kite Tube manufacturer properly explains the risks, it should be up to us whether or not we choose to try such a thing.

Therein lies the problem - it doesn't just end there. It's gonna end up in court eating up taxpayer's money while they go after the manufacturer.

I'd be all for letting people have the choice, provided they accept the consequences of that choice.

Lawn darts are (were) awesome! We used to take and bend over the plastic fins so they would spin when you would throw them (straight up in the air) :)

Ahhh...the grasshopper engineer-in-training's first experiment with stability...Good Job! :)

That's where I learned my sword-swallow trick. It's just the fins I couldn't get past. Or would those be wings, Tracie??? Crazy.gif

ROFL.gif I'll never live that one down.

Ahhh...the grasshopper engineer-in-training's first experiment with stability...Good Job! :)

Right... we wanted them to be stable so upon re-entry they would stick straight into our feet, none of this angled stuff! Crazy.gif

I always tried to get my mother-in-law to play lawn darts with us on those 4th of July Picnics. Crazy.gif

Edited by Texasguy

I'm either a little too old or I wasn't into games so I missed the lawn dart era. I just saw the 20/20 show and thought "what were they thinking" when the dart went through the simulated head.

I ran into an old friend the other night. He's a good guy and an athelete. He's always pushed the envelope. I used to waterski and snow ski with him. He immediately starts telling me about his flying tube and that with 150' of rope behind his Baja, you can make it go as high as you want. Laughing about his brother coming out of thing from 30' up. He wants to take me up in it. I don't think so.

Kinda off the mark here but when I read the article they were speaking of the intercoastal waterway.

Forgive my ignorance in Tx. geography but that can't be same waterway as the one on the east coast is it ?

Edited by LS-One
Well if anyone wants one they better buy em quick. I can already see a lot of companies not carrying them anymore for liablity reasons. I'd like to try it but not for near 500 bucks or whateve they are.

I witnessed the same thing today when I took a buddy on mine down to my local MC shop for a new wakeboard. One of the owners twenty-something sons who's an awesome boarder said something about having a concusion and broken ribs. He's out for the season Shocking.gif When I asked what happened he said it was falling from a kite tube going about 15 mph with about a 30 mph gust.

This is a very prosperous dealership and the older son made the decision to take the kite tubes off the rack. They also only sell USCG approved PFDs since they had a friend die while wearing a comp vest. He said that he feels a reponsibility to his customers. They are a great family. :)

Now I just need him to sell me a kite tube anyway Crazy.gif I know they're in the back of the store somewhere! Crazy.gifCrazy.gif

I was mocked a bit on another thread when I stated that this product is inherently dangerous. I LOVE IT WHEN I GET TO SAY 'I TOLD YOU SOOOOOOO' Tongue.gif

Edited by Malibudoc
I was mocked a bit on another thread when I stated that this product is inherently dangerous. I LOVE IT WHEN I GET TO SAY 'I TOLD YOU SOOOOOOO' Tongue.gif

Yeah, yeah, yeah... but don't make me post those pictures I got from your mom of you playing with lawn darts! :lol:

Yeah, yeah, yeah... but don't make me post those pictures I got from your mom of you playing with lawn darts! :lol:

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

Fun idea, but poor execution IMO. There should be a way to control the attitude of the tube in mid-air. I think it should be a delta wing design or something flat across the back. That would keep it from getting so squirrely. That and there should be some sort of emergency flap the rider can pull to allow air to pass through it. Kindof a panic flap or something.