Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

JL M6450 replacement

T-rev

I have a M6450 amp running the 4 tower speakers and 4 in cabin speakers. It seems as though the amp doesn't power the speakers very well. What amp would you guys recommend.

Without knowing any more than whats here, I would consider a dedicated amp just for the tower speakers, leaving the 4 in-boats 1 per chnl on the current amp.

Should I look into what the towers can handle. Do they like a lot of power?

Right now the one JL sub I have totally overpowers the rest of the system.

T-rev,

One sub totally over-powering all the satellites doesn't sound right to me. The JL Audio M6450 is a pretty old amplifier, but it is a good one. This was before JL Audio had adopted the easier CEA power standards. So by today's standards and compared to other products, that is a 600 watt amplifier into a 2-ohm load with a 14.4 volt supply and will probably still make that power with a 12.6 volt supply. If configured and wired correctly, that would be 50 watts to all four interior speakers and 75 watts to all four tower speakers. Not bad for conventional 6.5" coaxials, if that is what you have. Before replacing that amplifier I would inspect the condition of all speakers, determine how the amplifier is wired/configured, look at the supply power delivery, verify how much input voltage you have, check phasing, and see how all the crossover and gains are set. In the end you may not need a replacement, or you may only need to supplement your amplifier with another two channels.

Also, where are the four in-boat speakers located?

Need to know which speakers you have, both in-boat and tower?

Size and location of subwoofer plus the amplifier powering that sub?

David,

A JL M1400 is powering a single 12" W3 I think. I really pounds!

The 4 speakers in the boat are 2 6.5s on the dash and 2 more 6.5s in the rear seating area. Not sure on the specific models or part numbers yet. I will check into that. I will look closer into how the speakers are wired out if the amp and verify voltage going to it.

I haven't messed with amps for a while. I downloaded the manual for these amps but is there an easy way to adjust them.

Thanks for the help!!!

Edited by T-rev

T-rev,

I am very confident there are ways to get significantly more out of what you have. But to be concise it is important to get all the details on the existing products, namely all speakers, and to find out exactly how everything has been done up to this point.

T-rev,

I am very confident there are ways to get significantly more out of what you have. But to be concise it is important to get all the details on the existing products, namely all speakers, and to find out exactly how everything has been done up to this point.

I will get all the info and get back to you David. Thanks